As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So... gametrailers controversy?

TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Games and Technology
Anyone hear about it? Apparently they were doing one of their head to head, PS3 vs 360 comparison videos for Race Driver Grid. In the end, after a lengthy review of both, they concluded that the 360 version had better graphics.

The only problem? They were using the PS3 version for both sides. The videos for the supposed 360 version was actually the PS3 version, which is extremely obvious due to PS3 button icons being all over the video.

Game trailers has removed the video in question, but someone on youtube has put it up (with a bunch of conspiracy theory bullshit thrown about):

PS3 vs PS3

kinda funny, but I don't think it's getting spread around much.

TheSonicRetard on

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It could've been a mistake, I guess. Like, someone captured video from both versions but the guy who edited it together fucked up and put the PS3 material in twice?

edit: After watching that, maybe not.

reVerse on
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    What.

I don't think this is anything to be concerned about. Or even mildly interested in. Probably just an honest mistake. I don't see the advantage to doing something like that on purpose.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    According to the video they've done stuff like this before?

I dunno, a couple of other sites I visit are making this sound like a big deal.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah Gametrailers have a bad rep for comparison vids.

Eurogamer on the other hand, have some pretty good 360 vs PS3 roundups.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It just seems like a mistake to me so I don't really see why it's become such a big deal, unless there's some commentary with it saying "this is why the 360 version is better". The bit that everyone complains about is that they use the default settings for both consoles and apparently that makes the PS3 versions always look washed out or something.

Rook on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So.. They were showing the PS3 footage on both sides of the comparison video? I don't understand the controversy? I'm sure the voice of the person talking is dubbed through the editing process, so it's not like they're staring at both the screens.

Though I can't watch the video at work, but I assume that's what happened.

urahonky on
  • Options
    JCRooksJCRooks Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I invoke Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

In other words, someone probably goofed up. Sure it's stupid and unprofessional (I'm sure their editors are mightly embarassed), but likely not intentional.

JCRooks on
    Xbox LIVE, Steam, Twitter, etc. ...
    Gamertag: Rooks
    - Don't add me, I'm at/near the friend limit :)

Steam: JC_Rooks

Twitter: http://twitter.com/JiunweiC

I work on this: http://www.xbox.com
  • Options
    zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    So.. They were showing the PS3 footage on both sides of the comparison video? I don't understand the controversy? I'm sure the voice of the person talking is dubbed through the editing process, so it's not like they're staring at both the screens.

Basically they just show the "Xbox 360" logo on the bottom of replay of a decent looking crash and then show the "PS3" logo on the replay of the boring ones. All of the replays have the replay controls showing overlays of PS3 controller buttons (X,O,Triangle,etc).

To be honest all of the crashes are pretty fucking tame and unspectacular, but whatever. I haven't heard of this Drive Cars Around Game until now.

zanetheinsane on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Basically they just show the "Xbox 360" logo on the bottom of replay of a decent looking crash and then show the "PS3" logo on the replay of the boring ones. All of the replays have the replay controls showing overlays of PS3 controller buttons (X,O,Triangle,etc).

To be honest all of the crashes are pretty fucking tame and unspectacular, but whatever. I haven't heard of this Drive Cars Around Game until now.

Hah, I see what you mean now. That's mildly hilarious.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Rook wrote: »
    It just seems like a mistake to me so I don't really see why it's become such a big deal, unless there's some commentary with it saying "this is why the 360 version is better". The bit that everyone complains about is that they use the default settings for both consoles and apparently that makes the PS3 versions always look washed out or something.

they did. They were showing videos of the supposedly spectacular crashes which were exclusive to the 360 version.

Except they were the PS3 version.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Until Geoff Keighley tells me what to think I have no opinion on this matter.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    i don't see how this is controversy. more stupidity, on their part. perhaps laziness. but it's not like, invisible hand of fanboyism making the 360 look better.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    ShoonShoon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    TSR: What "other sites" are you visiting? Quite frankly, this is a non-issue.

Shoon on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    This isn't the first time this has happened.

Back when they compared The Orange Box, they showed the same scene in both games. But they were Quicksaving during the PS3 clip, and not Quicksaving during the 360 clip, which causes a short-lived framerate drop. If they had not been quicksaving during the PS3 clip, the framerate descrepancy may not have been there. Of course, the PS3 version still had longer load times and occasionally lesser framerates, but it is pretty deceptive having one game saving data while the other is not.

Also, when comparing Wii games, they often don't bother using Progressive scan mode.

slash000 on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Until Geoff Keighley tells me what to think I have no opinion on this matter.

Man, in the latest episode he got to wear the Ghostbusters outfit.

That is not fair. Not fair at all Geoff.

Re: The topic

Non-issue. It was a mistake, they promptly took it down, console fanboys wanted to latch onto it. It's hard for me to call this deliberate.

subedii on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    What motive would they have to do this intentionally?

Unless the supposed theory is that they are "360 fanboys" (sigh) or that they are being paid by MS, it would make zero sense to assume this was malicious.

LewieP on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, it was definitely a mistake, due to retardation on their part. They screw stuff up all the time.

slash000 on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    God, it's sickening that the whole console warz bullshit is even worse now than it was 15 years ago.

Back then the worst thing that happened was SNK calling everyone weenies

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    What motive would they have to do this intentionally?

Unless the supposed theory is that they are "360 fanboys" (sigh) or that they are being paid by MS, it would make zero sense to assume this was malicious.

Gamtrailers is actually a front for Columbian drug runners.

Everyone knows that these days they're more tech savvy than ever.

Obviously any tech savvy crime lord has their high tech computers.

What are these computers running?

MICROSOFT Windows.

Coincidence? I Think so!

subedii on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Cherrn wrote: »
    God, it's sickening that the whole console warz bullshit is even worse now than it was 15 years ago.

Console wars have remained the same since ever, the methods of fighting have simply evolved.

I remember shunning the kid at my school for owning a SNES instead of a MEga Drive like everyone else.

Like seriously, thats some cold shit right there.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Console wars have remained the same since ever, the methods of fighting have simply evolved.

I remember shunning the kid at my school for owning a SNES instead of a MEga Drive like everyone else.

Like all arguments, it's just that the internet has made it bigger, louder, and more connected.

subedii on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    subedii wrote: »

Like all arguments, it's just that the internet has made it bigger, louder, and more connected.

Pretty much. If the Internet existed back in the days of SNES vs. Genesis we'd have the same old crap.

So anyway, nothing to see here.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Like all arguments, it's just that the internet has made it bigger, louder, and more pointless.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Pretty much. If the Internet existed back in the days of SNES vs. Genesis we'd have the same old crap.

Genesis has the definitive Mortal Kombat. Go home nintentard.

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Khavall wrote: »

Too bad the Genesis controller sucks balls.

e: Genesissy.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Nintendo Shitty Four

Gaystation

Dreamshaft

Xsucks Three Shitty

PS£

Man I remember when system wars was more... honest.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, because PS£ is a real stretch.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    God I'm having flashbacks.

I'm totally ready to jump on anyone who even thinks about disrespecting the genesis.

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, because PS£ is a real stretch.

£ is shift 3 on my keyboard.

and more than once I have accidentally typed it.

you see the joke is that the ps3 costs a lot of money, so even by accident people are adding a pound sign to...

nevermind.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I am aware, it's just you said that the system wars used to be more 'honest'.

I think PS£ is far more honest than 'blast processing'.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Oh man, this whole thing just game me an eery realisation.

We may actually be the last generation to remember what things were like before the internet.

No looking stuff up on Wikipedia, you had actual paper and ink encyclopaediae that came in dozens of volumes . No retarded youtube videos. Console arguments were limited to the school yard and subjective mumblings and didn't blow up into cross-referenced articles about pixel density and controller ergonomics...

Man, we're going to be like Elders, sharing tales with our great grandchildren about the beforetimes. People will wonder how we communicated internationally without myspace.

"Intelligently, my boy..." I'll sigh sadly "intelligently."

That and maybe

"Keep your thieving hands off of my hard disk! That's contains the last working copy Planescape: Torment, completely internet independent! You young grubs wouldn't understand!"

subedii on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Excuse me. Are you saying blast processing wasnt totally real and absolutely essential?

Get out.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

We may actually be the last generation to remember what things were like before the internet.

No looking stuff up on Wikipedia, you had actual paper and ink encyclopaediae that came in dozens of volumes . No retarded youtube videos. Console arguments were limited to the school yard and subjective mumblings and didn't blow up into cross-referenced articles about pixel density and controller ergonomics...

Man, we're going to be like Elders, sharing tales with our great grandchildren about the beforetimes. People will wonder how we communicated internationally without myspace.

That and maybe

"Keep your thieving hands off of my hard disk! That's contains the last working copy Planescape: Torment, completely internet independant! You young grubs wouldn't understand!"

See kids. Granpa lies just like you do. Now go to e-school.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited May 2008

FUCK YOU MARIO IS TOO SLOW SONIC IS FAST BECAUSE OF BLAST PROCESSING

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Also, I don't think any gamer in their right mind would believe something like "these awesome physics-based crashes can't happen on a Playstation!"

Honestly, you could fake something believable like fps, anti-aliasing, picture quality, etc, but the ability to cause more random flips?

zanetheinsane on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Oh zane, you hopeless optimist with your naive faith in humanity. It's kind of cute really.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

That and maybe

"Keep your thieving hands off of my hard disk! That's contains the last working copy Planescape: Torment, completely internet independant! You young grubs wouldn't understand!"

See kids. Granpa lies just like you do. Now go to e-school.

"Someone fetch me my mouse, I feel like playing civilisation. You youngsters and yer thought control. In my day we developed RSI and that was the mark of a REAL gamer"

*strange crackling sound, as of a 100 rolls of bubblewrap being popped*

"Y'see?"

subedii on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Oh zane, you hopeless optimist with your naive faith in humanity. It's kind of cute really.

Xbox360: The only console with flip processing.

zanetheinsane on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    See now I'm envisioning lines of xbox360's sitting there all white and shiny. And then everynow and again, one will do a flip.

Whoops there's another!

Hey two at once.

And so on. Like Locoroco's.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    According to the video they've done stuff like this before?

They've been accused of not setting the PS3 up properly. I don't remember the specifics, but it basically amounted to them not fine tuning the PS3 for the comparison vids. Their typical response has been that both games are tested straight out of the box, factory settings.

I've normally pretty much let it sit at that and thought that most of the hub bub was fanboy pissing.

This? This is the most "provable" screw up they've done. The rest has been speculation.

This is just retarded on their part. Regardless of the truth behind it, intentional or not, you'd have to be pretty irresponsible to do something like this on the freaking internet.

EDIT

Yeah Right.

"Get over heradaljasdlj*gargle* *kidney*"

;-)

Sheep on