As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

.hack//G.U.-Vol.1:Rebirth(Out On 10/24/06!)

OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Games and Technology
In about one week, the newest chapter in the .hack story will begin with the translated release of .hack//G.U. Vol 1: Rebirth.

guvol1.jpg

Set in the year 2017, the game delves back into the online game known as 'The World' though it's not the same after a fire destroyed the servers the game's data had been saved on. Salvaged with programming from a new game CC-Corp (The World's owner) had been making at the time, 'The World:R2' as it's known now has become a lawless game with those seeking to have fun inside as carebear players have been needlessly attacked by PKs (Player-Killers). Two top PKs have become well-feared by the time the game's story properlly begins; the mysterious PC known as Tri-Edge who has the twisted appearance of the legendary .hacker Kite and who's meetings seem to leave players unable to return to The World, and the PC known as Haseo AKA The Terror Of Death, a merciless PKK (Player-Killer Killer) who seeks Tri-Edge for his own private reasons.

hackgu016.jpg

Those who've know enough of the .hack storyline will reconize Haseo's special title as belonging to the first boss from the original game. There are others in //G.U. who also share the special titles that each of the eight-in-total bosses, known then as Phases, held.

hackgu009.jpg
Atoli AKA The Mirage of Deceit: A Harvest Cleric (healing-based Wavemaster/White-Mage) who develops a special relationship with Haseo due to her character's appearance.

hackgu007.jpg
Kuhn AKA The Propagation: A Steam Gunner (ranged-melee fighter) who used to be leader of the newbie-aiding guild Carnard but still continues to be a ladies' man.

hackgu003.jpg
Yata AKA The Prophet: A secretive Dance Macabre (melee fighter who uses dance-like moves to attack) who runs the mysterious guild known as Raven.

hackgu010.jpg
Sakubo AKA The Machinator: A Shadow Warlock (attacking-based Wavemaster/Black Mage) who seems to sport two different personalities in The World depending when you meet her.

hackgu005.jpg
Endrance AKA The Temptress: A Blade Brandier (Blademaster/sword-using melee fighter) who's the champion of the W:R2's PvP Arena thanks to some secret help (and yes, he's a he).

hackgu006.jpg
Pi AKA The Avenger: A Tribal Grappler (hand-to-hand melee fighter) who has connections to the death and rebirth of The World.

hackgu004.jpg
Ovan AKA the Rebirth: A Steam Gunner who's mysteriouslly-sealed left arm may hold more harm for Haseo and the others then help.

Voice Actors:
Haseo: Yuri Lowenthal
Atoli: Bridget Hoffman
Kuhn: Jhonny Bosch
Yata: Steve Jay Blum
Sakubo: Erin Fitzgerald
Endrance: Liam O'Brien
Pi: Jessica Strauss
Ovan: Jamieson Price
Silabus: Sam Riegel
Gaspard: Dave Wittenberg
Piros the 3rd: Daran Norris
Zeikova: Wendee Lee
Sakaki: Crispin Freeman
Kaede: Kari Wahlgren

Besides the game's story and much-improved graphics over it's predicessor, there's also a stronger and more action-based battle system with combos and sneak-attacks, bigger towns to visit, fights against not just monsters but other PKs in fields and arenas, and special boss fights. Also, a unique disk is being included with the limited version of the game, much like the original game's four OVA disks. Known as the Terminal Disc, it holds unlockable information about the .hack series past and present as well as what occured between the end of the original .hack storyline in 2014 and the begining of the //G.U. storyline in 2017. As for the OVA part, you can find it in the game itself as //ONLINE JACK, special news reports Haseo recieves on his desktop from time to time.

hackgu230.jpg
hackgu197.jpg
dotHackGU_8-b.jpg
Salvadore-b.jpg

For more info on the upcoming game, turn to these websites..

http://dothack.wikia.com/wiki/.hack//Wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.hack//G.U._%28video_games%29
http://www.dothackers.net/gu.php

"Welcome To The World."

Owenashi on

• Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Welll.....huh

This certainly makes both the games and .hack//ROOT a lot more interesting.

Furu on
  • Options
    Eliot DuboisEliot Dubois Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    I just got back into a .hack phase (hardehar) and now am more interested than ever. Plus that is pretty much the greatest cover I have ever seen to a video game.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    I just got back into a .hack phase (hardehar) and now am more interested than ever. Plus that is pretty much the greatest cover I have ever seen to a video game.

True. Hopefully they'll keep it around as the US cover as well. I can't wait to see the Haseo/Tri-Edge fight from the trailers on my big TV screen rather then on a smaller computer screen. Incidentally, some fans scored an extra disk with the game's purchace, one that had among other things the original version of the game's first trailer, one done in 2004. Dothackers placed it up on their front page as a watchable YouTube for now untill they can host a DLable version of it. It's quite interesting as it makes clearer some things not seen well enough on the second version of the trailer though it's hard to tell if any of it's still legit due to what can change over a game's development. For example, the name known as AIDA, which is a term used in the game for certain A.I.s had multiple definitions, simular to G.U. Some of them were...

[spoiler:5ae368f931]-Agent of ID Dominational Act
    -Appearance from Illusion and Dance in the Actuality
    -Automatic Idea Damnating Affection
    -Anti Intrusion Device for "Aura"[/spoiler:5ae368f931]

Owenashi on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2006
    Did the last four games have a conclusion that made more sense than the .hack//SIGN anime? I like the series, but fuck, I need a bit more resolution than they're offering me. I still don't know why people were unable to leave the game world.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    Did the last four games have a conclusion that made more sense than the .hack//SIGN anime? I like the series, but fuck, I need a bit more resolution than they're offering me. I still don't know why people were unable to leave the game world.

I blame SIGN solely on the clusterfuck animation studio that is BEE-TRAIN, who couldn't write a well-paced story if their lives depended on it.

And yeah, I'd say the games had a pretty conclusive ending.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    SIGN had a great ending fucker, all the unanswered questions are answered by playing the games.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    SIGN had a great ending fucker, all the unanswered questions are answered by playing the games.

It didn't end so much as just...stopped.

The pacing in that show was awful. Things happened about every ten episodes. I know it was mostly about backstory and such but damned if it didn't just slow to a crawl after the first three or four episodes.

Furu on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2006
    Furu wrote:

I blame SIGN solely on the clusterfuck animation studio that is BEE-TRAIN, who couldn't write a well-paced story if their lives depended on it.

And yeah, I'd say the games had a pretty conclusive ending.

Rock. I played up through about half of the third game before getting side-tracked. I've been meaning to go back and finish the entire series now that all four are out and can be found cheap/used. But the lack of solid conclusion in both animes has held me back because I was afraid they'd pull the same stunt with the games.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    Man, that's why I love it so much, nothing is going on except this little mystery. A bunch of people coming together for no other reason than to find out why this character can't log off. The last time I "watched" it I just popped in the DVD's and listened to the show while typing out some work. It makes one hell of a radio drama. It has great characters, great music, and event though I didn't watch them much last time some really impressive visuals. Really does a great job of setting up the first game and adding some meaning to the world.

You gotta be prepared for the show though. It's like Ghost in the Shell without any awesome future robot cop stuff, just the philosophy.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    Furu wrote:

The pacing in that show was awful. Things happened about every ten episodes. I know it was mostly about backstory and such but damned if it didn't just slow to a crawl after the first three or four episodes.

Personally, I concider SIGN as part one of the .hack storyline, with the game being part two. AI-BUSTER and LEGEND work as prologue and epilogue to the storyline, bookending the two parts nicely. ROOTS oughta make disgruntled SIGN viewers happier though as it more directly connects to the opening of the G.U. game, filling in the missing time they skip over in the begining. Of course...

[spoiler:801aeedde6]...if what I heard is true, some will still be ticked as the plot so far revolves around the search for the Key of Twilight, just like in SIGN[/spoiler:801aeedde6]

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    Owenashi wrote:
    Furu wrote:

Personally, I concider SIGN as part one of the .hack storyline, with the game being part two. AI-BUSTER and LEGEND work as prologue and epilogue to the storyline, bookending the two parts nicely. ROOTS oughta make disgruntled SIGN viewers happier though as it more directly connects to the opening of the G.U. game, filling in the missing time they skip over in the begining. Of course...

[spoiler:6539d51609]...if what I heard is true, some will still be ticked as the plot so far revolves around the search for the Key of Twilight, just like in SIGN[/spoiler:6539d51609]

Yeah, but

[spoiler:6539d51609]that's been established as the entire point of the series. I'm curious how the Key factors into the new version of the World, though.[/spoiler:6539d51609]

Furu on
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    if you pick up Infection and start playing it the moment you watch the end of SIGN, you'll have one totally awesome experience. Even though there is some time storywise in between the two, the game is twice as awesome this way. This is how I ended up doing it, as I just happend to get Infection the day Cartoon Network finished SIGN. That was quite the mindfuck, I'll tell you.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    In that case, I can see what you mean by awesomeness.

Too bad Roots probably won't air over here and give us the same situation.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    I beat Infection, but then waited like months before trying out the rest of the other three. I'm glad though that the first G.U. game will hold bonuses for those who have cleared saves from all four parts of the original game. The Terminal Disc holding the cutscenes from the original game but redone in G.U.'s graphic engine is pretty sweet as well. I just hope they don't screw us out of the unlockable bonus for /fragment's save-data just because we'll never get it.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    I swore Fragment has a US release date...

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    I swore Fragment has a US release date...

At E3 2006 Bandai straight-up said it's never coming out in the US.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    Damn the man.

Actually, its ok, I never had a big interest in Fragment. Plus haven't they taken it easy on the US before with the data flag thing? I thought that you had to have four clears in the JAP release to watch GIFT, but its right there in the NA release.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    ClawshrimpyClawshrimpy Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Yeah, this is going to be awesome, I've allready been watching ROOTS, and it's amazing.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    Yeah, this is going to be awesome, I've allready been watching ROOTS, and it's amazing.

[spoiler:6752f958e5]Tri-Edge shows up in Episode 6 or 7, doesn't he? Any hints on who or what he is yet?[/spoiler:6752f958e5]

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    I believe so, but I havent seen those episodes myself yet.

[spoiler:874d16619f] I have a theory though. As much as I'd i'd like to to be Kite's Player or Sugoh or whoever was playing the character at the time decided to go off their rocker and go crazy with the killing. There is just too much evidence pointing to this Theory. The Theory is that Tri-Edge is Cubia. When Haseo first mentioned Tri-Edge in the trailer, a Mysterious Pk, "Wreathed in Azure Flame.". Also, Remember how Cubia had to Copy Kite's Data to keep up with him? I think Tri-edge is Cubia's backup of the data. and it's Cubia itself controlling. From this, we can confer that Cubia/Tri-edge has A few Objectives, his Primary one is the Destruction of the Cursed Wave/8 Phases, Probably why he drains Haseo. Socndly, the destruction of all the players breaking the rules in R2m Well, the rules of "The World" Cubia knew, where PK was against the rules. Thirdly, there was a Trailer somewhere with Tri-Edge Data Drining an enitire area, trying to reformat it. it may be trying to delete and rebuild the world. [/spoiler:874d16619f]

Also, Avatar Battles look hot.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    For those who haven't beaten the original game...

[spoiler:61cc0cbc4d]Cubia didn't so much HAD to copy Kite's data as it was the yang to the yin which was Kite's Bracelet. As it grew stronger (especially by Data Draining and killing off the Phases), Cubia grew. That's why Kite and Blackrose had to destroy the Bracelet in order to kill off Cubia. Without one, the other couldn't exist. Your theory of Tri-Edge being connected to Cubia is a popular one. Also up there is that Tri-Edge is the living remains of Kite's PC-data (which could explain Tri-Edge's zombie-like look). Also, that scene with Tri-Edge Drain-Hearting a White Room seems to be more along the lines of it/him healing it/himself with the data that makes up the Room's bounderies.[/spoiler:61cc0cbc4d]

And yes, the battles between Avatars look sweet. Those used to Drakengard and Panzer Dragoon's airbound fights might be enjoy 'em best.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    [spoiler:92788e7446]Also, aother piece of evidence is after you beat part 4 and get a data flag, Kite and Orca meet with Aura again and Aura makes the mistake of giving Kite another bracelet. This could possibly couse Cubia to be reborn in the future somehow. [/spoiler:92788e7446]

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    Seta FDSeta FD Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Are there any videos of a PK battle?

Seta FD on
    bridgetsigea1.png
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited May 2006

Linking media from dothackers directly doesn't always work as experiance has proven to me.

http://www.dothackers.net/media.php

The first and third (subtitled) movie links are quite good. Plus further down, they have a link for the new form of field-transportation that replaces the Grunties as well as the trailers for the original game's parts for those who haven't seen them yet.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    On the front page of dothackers.net is an interesting circa 2004 prototype video. The odd thing is that prototype trailer had amazing art. the Prototype Tri-edge for example, looks cooler than the current Tri-edge.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    There's a nice sense of contrast and simularity between the 2004 trailer and it's second version that people are more familiar with. And as I mentioned before, the 2004 one brings up some terms into clearer focus that the proper one doesn't. The new Terminal Disc information which I editied into the first post of this topic doesn't bring up anything on the AIDA's alternate definitions yet at any rate.

On another note, for those not paying much attention to who'll be joining up and meeting Haseo during his first-game journey, I think those who've played the original game will be 'happy' to note that one of the original .hackers will be coming back in //G.U. at least. Here's a screenshot for those who wanna take a guess at who it is...

piros1.jpg

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    Hehe, yeah.

Anyway, I've been trying to finish off quarantine, but Corbenik keeps kicking my ass. specifically in the Leaf phase when he constantly life siphons. it's like I can't get any progress.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    Also, I just went to EB to preorder, And I ended preordering a special edition with a Figure. BADASS. I wonder what it is.

Man, I have to get my clear though. I'll Gameshark that Corbenik bastard if I have to!

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    For those who want to know more or less the original .hack game's plot without running all over used-game bins to find the four parts, Tokyopop's released the first of the Another Birth novels, books which show the game's events from the point of view of the main female lead, Blackrose. While some of the hard-core fans have found a couple of translation faults, it's not a bad read so far in my eyes. I'll post my thoughts on it later once I'm done reading it. For those interested in finding it for themselves, look for this cover in your nearest bookstore.

Another-Birth-1.jpg

Owenashi on
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    dammit.

I want //G.U. and I want it now

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    3rdrocket3rdrocket Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Also, I just went to EB to preorder, And I ended preordering a special edition with a Figure. BADASS. I wonder what it is.

Man, I have to get my clear though. I'll Gameshark that Corbenik bastard if I have to!

I have to get some of that. It sounds delicious.

3rdrocket on
    civilwarTR.jpg
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    I am ridiculously hardcore, and I HAVE to read the manga I did not know about.

I am thinking of going back into .hack and filling out all the Ryu book objectives. Even if they are annoying.

Also, I want to talk to Noble Grunty again.

I wish //Fragment would come out here. Though GU will kick ass.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    DondumsDondums Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    What's the US Release Date?

Dondums on
    internet
  • Options
    edited June 2006

I am thinking of going back into .hack and filling out all the Ryu book objectives. Even if they are annoying.

I wish Tokyo pop wasnt so expensive though. It could be worse though. Dark Horse could have picked it up.

3rdrocket on
    civilwarTR.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    3rdrocket wrote:

I wish Tokyo pop wasnt so expensive though. It could be worse though. Dark Horse could have picked it up.

Actually, if you're taking about Another Birth, it's a 3-4 novel series and not manga. However, a manga based on the original game IS coming out and like Another Birth it will show new scenes to flesh out the game's story.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    Owenashi wrote:
    3rdrocket wrote:

Actually, if you're taking about Another Birth, it's a 3-4 novel series and not manga. However, a manga based on the original game IS coming out and like Another Birth it will show new scenes to flesh out the game's story.

Oh, interesting.

3rdrocket on
    civilwarTR.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    For those not up for downloading a translated (and thus made bigger) movie trailer file for //G.U., good news. Dot Hackers managed to score a copy of the U.S. trailer for the game. To check it out, go here.

http://www.dothackers.net/media/%5Bwww.dothackers.net%5DGU_US_promo.wmv

If that direct link doesn't work, either subsitute the %5Bwww.dothackers.net%5D for [www.dothackers.net] or go straight to the web-site where it has the link on the front page.

www.dothackers.net

In other news, a French gaming site has scans from Japan on the second G.U. game including what might be the cover for it, one that will probably widen some eyes of old-school .hack fans. Here's the link for the scan with the possible cover on it..

http://www.jeux-france.com/Webmasters/Images/5228520060614_183546_1_big.jpg

...and here's the second page scan link. As a warning for 56Kers, the scans are somewhat big.

http://www.jeux-france.com/Webmasters/Images/5228520060614_183545_0_big.jpg

Remember to keep any spoilerish discussions of what might happen in the games in the spoiler-blocks! :)

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    Whoa whoa whoa

[spoiler:cc7de6ac82]Evil Balmung?[/spoiler:cc7de6ac82]

Furu on
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    Here's a clearer look at the potential second G.U. cover, abiet still linked due to potential spoilers to the first game's content.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v475/Owenashi/G.jpg

Owenashi on