As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Offering computer services on campus (malware removal, etc.) with flyers: legal?

TzenTzen Registered User regular
So I'm a broke college student (who isn't?), and my convenient campus job is not available during the summer. I was considering posting flyers around my apartments or campus offering general computer services for substantially cheaper than the bullshit prices GeekSquad charges. A lot of people are stuck with some crippling spyware on their computers these days, and I already get rid of that stuff for my brother's and sister's friends every few months for about 20 bucks an hour (usually doesn't take me very long, even with the nasty stuff that auto-reboots when trying to download/update anti-malware apps - find the offending processes, boot into safemode, kill the registry entries and exe files, blah blah blah). I also considered offering general maintenance stuff, maybe even physically cleaning cases, etc.

Would posting flyers for such a thing be legal? I'm in Florida, if that matters. I just don't know anything about when it's necessary to have a business or what have you. It doesn't really seem any different than a dog-walking service or anything.

Tzen on

• Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Tzen wrote: »
    So I'm a broke college student (who isn't?), and my convenient campus job is not available during the summer. I was considering posting flyers around my apartments or campus offering general computer services for substantially cheaper than the bullshit prices GeekSquad charges. A lot of people are stuck with some crippling spyware on their computers these days, and I already get rid of that stuff for my brother's and sister's friends every few months for about 20 bucks an hour (usually doesn't take me very long, even with the nasty stuff that auto-reboots when trying to download/update anti-malware apps - find the offending processes, boot into safemode, kill the registry entries and exe files, blah blah blah). I also considered offering general maintenance stuff, maybe even physically cleaning cases, etc.

Would posting flyers for such a thing be legal? I'm in Florida, if that matters. I just don't know anything about when it's necessary to have a business or what have you. It doesn't really seem any different than a dog-walking service or anything.

I'm originally from florida, and know a little bit, but I'm no lawyer, so take this with a grain of salt. I'm mostly positive that you can do what you're proposing, and charge for it, but over a certain dollar amount a year you would need a business license (including paying taxes etc.). It'd probably be wise to look into this more than just on a forum (and I apologise in advance for suggesting that you're not.) But I also know that the vast majority of college students would want a service like you'd be providing. Hey, if you could offer hard drive recovery for those lap tops that get a beer or three spilled on them, even better!

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Actually, you totally busted me, and I feel like a douche for even posting this before hitting up Google. It just kind of popped into my head when I was sitting here dreading going down the street to Gamestop to apply. I figured at least someone around the PA forums might have considered or actually done what I was considering.

If I find anything useful, such as that certain dollar amount you must hit to require filing taxes, I'll post it here.

Tzen on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Tzen wrote: »

Wow... it's worse than I thought. I thought there was a dollar amount. That probably means there are a lot of home based businesses run by women that are operating licenseless.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    bloodrbloodr Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    a friend does something similar and offers a limited "menu" of services and only takes "donated" cash. They get clients via craigslist and open posting areas (where you can post handbills without campus approval) at the local community college and university. They've been doing it for a few years with no problem.

Just keep the cash in your pocket and not in your bank.

bloodr on
    b1oodrose.png
    b1oodrose.png