As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Podcasters Present: Get Your Gay Off My Plane, Mister

13»

• Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Dirty wrote: »
    I know this is going to make me sound like a total prick, but I am a total prick, so I'm okay with it. Its not like Microsoft is "oppressing" just any social group here, but rather, a social group that is largely defined by who they like to fuck.
    Way to make it sound like being gay is some sort of hobby.

Hey, I knew I'd come off like a prick. It doesn't change the fact that the criteria for being part of this group is directly tied to who you have sexual relationships with.

As far as I'm concerned, being attracted to people of the same gender is no different than being attracted to redheads, or liking Hispanic girls. Its just a personal preference of what type of person you're attracted to. Its not something that should define who you are.

I think the large societal difference here is that a tragically small number of redhead lovers are beaten to death behind pickup trucks for their aforementioned affection for gingers.

The world full of ignorant and hateful people.

Sometimes you just need to throw a ginger over a hedge. Uppity gingers need to remember their place.

Drool on
  • Options
    RedDawnRedDawn Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It all comes down to the fact that it is Microsoft's product/ service and they will police it how they see fit. If people don't agree with their policies, they don't have to participate.

RedDawn on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    RedDawn wrote: »
    It all comes down to the fact that it is Microsoft's product/ service and they will police it how they see fit. If people don't agree with their policies, they don't have to participate.

Policies can only be enforced so long as they don't breach any laws. I can't have a policy that says 'No Blacks served here' in my shop.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I think the reasoning is still open to analyses. TheGAYERgamer doesn't have what I would consider 'content of a sexual nature'. That's like saying the statement "I'm a man" contains content of a sexual nature because it states my sex. Sure, Gay is a sexual orientation rather than just a sex, but it's not sexually explicit like words such as fuck. I'd say that the decision to interpret their ToS in this fashion does border on discrimination which would therefore make the legality of their right to enforce the ToS in this situation circumspect. Just because they then turn round and ban a 'straight' name so they can say 'we discriminate equally' doesn't cut the mustard, especially if you're discriminating against a legally protected demographic - you could ban all the dudes, boys, mans, straights and heteros that you like, but that still doesn't really justify banning just one person's name because it mentions they are gay.

Aside from all that, it's fucking horrendous that they feel they need to protect children from the fact that gay people exist. Jesus fuck America, what the hell is wrong with you?

Like the guy said there is no context. TheGayerGamer could be construed as negative speech against gays just as easily as it can be seen as the simple statement of ones sexual orientation. By keeping out anything relating to sexuality they cover all sides.

And yes getting rid of StraightGamer, or IDoChix does make it OK to get rid of GayerGamer. As long as they apply their rules equally it isn't discrimination. It's sticking to their TOS.

Drool on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    RedDawn wrote: »

Policies can only be enforced so long as they don't breach any laws. I can't have a policy that says 'No Blacks served here' in my shop.

Your right, that is illegal, however what MS did was not. They cannot police all the names, but if it gets reported, they have to look and make a call whether or not it is against their naming conventions. In this case they decided it was. Then someone pointed out another name, so they banned that too. I don't think it is discrimination, I feel that this stems from people trying to be too politically correct. If a homosexual person saw that name, they may have taken offense to it and reported it, feeling as though they were being ridiculed.

RedDawn on
  • Options
    stranger678stranger678 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I think the reasoning is still open to analyses. TheGAYERgamer doesn't have what I would consider 'content of a sexual nature'. That's like saying the statement "I'm a man" contains content of a sexual nature because it states my sex. Sure, Gay is a sexual orientation rather than just a sex, but it's not sexually explicit like words such as fuck. I'd say that the decision to interpret their ToS in this fashion does border on discrimination which would therefore make the legality of their right to enforce the ToS in this situation circumspect. Just because they then turn round and ban a 'straight' name so they can say 'we discriminate equally' doesn't cut the mustard, especially if you're discriminating against a legally protected demographic.

Aside from all that, it's fucking horrendous that they feel they need to protect children from the fact that gay people exist. Jesus fuck America, what the hell is wrong with you?

Your making the statement that MS only banned "straight" as an appeasement in this situation, do you have anything to show that they haven't taken this action repeatedly through the life of the service?

stranger678 on
    PASig.jpg
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Nobody protected children from the fact that gay people exist and you KNOW this. They wouldn't ban you if you chatted with your opponents in a casual game of UNO and mentionned that you're gay in a relevant way to the discussion. They ban USERNAMES with sexual innuendos.

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Your making the statement that MS only banned "straight" as an appeasement in this situation, do you have anything to show that they haven't taken this action repeatedly through the life of the service?

As per my edit above, it doesn't really matter if they did. They're still banning a name based on the fact that it declared the user publicly homosexual.

I understand the argument that there was no content and it could've been an inflamatory name, but that only really holds muster if they had legitimate complaints that he was intentionally using the handle to insult homosexuals.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Djiem wrote: »

Nobody protected children from the fact that gay people exist and you KNOW this. They wouldn't ban you if you chatted with your opponents in a casual game of UNO and mentionned that you're gay in a relevant way to the discussion. They ban USERNAMES with sexual innuendos.

Firstly, 'gayer' isn't a sexual innuendo.

Secondly,
    Rook wrote: »
    So, is it funny that the opening post about someone getting their name banned because it has to be taken out of context, deliberately doesn't include the context of why the name was banned?
    Microsoft, when contacted, referred us to Xbox Live team member Stephen Toulouse's personal site which explains the Live terms of use in detail. Toulouse writes that the gamertag is in violation of implied "sexual innuendo", one of the many forms of disallowed "content of a sexual nature." Toulouse expands:

We recieved a complaint on the Gamertag and determined that it did indeed contain sexual innuendo. Now granted, there could be an argument that the text is not pejorative to homosexuality and should therefore be allowed. But there is no context to explain that. Gamertags are visible to everyone and it would be hard for me to defend to a parent of a young child who saw it that the name did not contain content of a sexual nature.

Toulouse clarifies that "yes 'TheStraighterGamer' or 'TheHeterosexualgamer' would have gotten the same treatment and would have been found to be in violation and forced to be changed," adding that gamertags along those lines have been banned in the past. The entire post is definitely worth a full read.

So yeah, he's worried about parents complaining that their children are seeing the word Gay. Or Gayer. Because the only thing worse than being Gay is being Gayer.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I understand the argument that there was no content and it could've been an inflamatory name, but that only really holds muster if they had legitimate complaints that he was intentionally using the handle to insult homosexuals.

No it doesn't. They aren't obligated to call up every gamer with a possibly offensive tag and ask them if they are in fact gay or straight or if they're just being a dick. This would be a huge waste of time and money.

It's better to set rules that say you can't refer to your sexuality in a gamertag.

Drool on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

As per my edit above, it doesn't really matter if they did. They're still banning a name based on the fact that it declared the user publicly homosexual.

There was obviously some type of complaint against the name. Your interpretation of the name is the gamer himself is homosexual. Someone else may interpret it differently. MS didn't want to have to deal with further complaints about the name so they banned it.

RedDawn on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Djiem wrote: »

Firstly, 'gayer' isn't a sexual innuendo.

Secondly,
    So, is it funny that the opening post about someone getting their name banned because it has to be taken out of context, deliberately doesn't include the context of why the name was banned?
    Microsoft, when contacted, referred us to Xbox Live team member Stephen Toulouse's personal site which explains the Live terms of use in detail. Toulouse writes that the gamertag is in violation of implied "sexual innuendo", one of the many forms of disallowed "content of a sexual nature." Toulouse expands:

We recieved a complaint on the Gamertag and determined that it did indeed contain sexual innuendo. Now granted, there could be an argument that the text is not pejorative to homosexuality and should therefore be allowed. But there is no context to explain that. Gamertags are visible to everyone and it would be hard for me to defend to a parent of a young child who saw it that the name did not contain content of a sexual nature.

Toulouse clarifies that "yes 'TheStraighterGamer' or 'TheHeterosexualgamer' would have gotten the same treatment and would have been found to be in violation and forced to be changed," adding that gamertags along those lines have been banned in the past. The entire post is definitely worth a full read.

So yeah, he's worried about parents complaining that their children are seeing the word Gay. Or Gayer. Because the only thing worse than being Gay is being Gayer.

No he understands that it isn't XboxLive's place to teach kids about being gay or gayer or the gayest. In fact it's not the place to be shouting your sexuality from the rooftops no matter what you like to fuck.

Drool on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Since when is your sexual identity classified as innuendo, I'm offended by the very notion that flatly stating your sexuality is equal to potentially offensive sexual innuendo.

Why does anyone need to discuss their sexuality on XBL? What purpose would it serve?
    SN of your choice =/= discussion of sexuality.

Allow me to rephrase. Why does anyone need to state their sexuality on XBL?
    Nobody needs to state anything in their SN, this is about what you want your SN to be, it's not offensive and I could easily think of a hundred legitimate reasons as to why somebody would want to have such an SN on XBL.
    Someone should create and use a gamertag that blatantly refers to a heterosexual orientation and see if its treated differently.
    While MS says they would ban that one too, I think any one of us would be willing to be dollars to donuts that the person using it would not be subject to heterophobia and hate speech.
    schmads wrote: »
    While I don't find "gayergamer" in any way offensive, I'm sure that my mom, who is a very fervently religious person, would. So, to appeal to everyone, you end up having very restrictive limits on names. Names are only checked when they are reported, so it's not like MS decided to discriminate.
    Which is actually a problem, how do we know that some homophobes don't have anything better to do than to search out every gay SN they can find and report them for nothing more than a smug sense of self satisfaction.

Also regarding your mother, you say she is fervently religious, what if she decided to use TheCatholicGamer as an SN on XBL? It's how she identifies herself just the same as how an openly gay person in this case is trying to identify themselves. Why would her SN be any more valid, there is just as much to get pissy about regarding religion as there is about sexual orientation. Funny that most of the qualms about sexual orientation come from religion to begin with. :lol:
    I know this is going to make me sound like a total prick, but I am a total prick, so I'm okay with it. Its not like Microsoft is "oppressing" just any social group here, but rather, a social group that is largely defined by who they like to fuck.
    Way to make it sound like being gay is some sort of hobby.

Hey, I knew I'd come off like a prick. It doesn't change the fact that the criteria for being part of this group is directly tied to who you have sexual relationships with.

As far as I'm concerned, being attracted to people of the same gender is no different than being attracted to redheads, or liking Hispanic girls. Its just a personal preference of what type of person you're attracted to. Its not something that should define who you are.

I think the large societal difference here is that a tragically small number of redhead lovers are beaten to death behind pickup trucks for their aforementioned affection for gingers.
    I love your tube.. for making such a good point.

Now THAT'S innuendo.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Considering gays don't have legal protection against discrimination in most states, this little bit of aggression from MS seems like small potatoes. Even in this thread people are arguing that there is something inherently inappropriate or age-sensitive about declaring your sexual orientation in a public context. That is how most people still view it.

Saddler on
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    That's like saying the statement "I'm a man" contains content of a sexual nature because it states my sex. Sure, Gay is a sexual orientation rather than just a sex

It may not be graphic, but its still related to sexual themes. Lots of things can be considered sexual, but there are certain degrees of separation. For instance. "Silk_Sheets" could be considered sexual, because people have sex on them, but its not very specific. You can just go to sleep on them. Alone even. Gender is a little more specific, since its defined by our reproductive system, which is part of sex. However, its still not as specific. Plus, we're taught certain things about gender and gender roles long before we learn about sex, so its easier to separate gender and sexuality. However, when stating sexual orientation, we're starting to get even more specific. Probably more specific than people who are just logging on to play some COD are comfortable with.

Dirty on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    While MS says they would ban that one too, I think any one of us would be willing to be dollars to donuts that the person using it would not be subject to heterophobia and hate speech.

What's your point? This is a seperate issue entirely.

There is no evidence that MS is discriminating aginst gay people. They apply their standard to all tags in order to avoid problems. Why are so many people angry about this?

Drool on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Drool wrote: »

What's your point? This is a seperate issue entirely.

There is no evidence that MS is discriminating aginst gay people. They apply their standard to all tags in order to avoid problems. Why are so many people angry about this?
    Oh for fucks sake don't take my reply out of context, I was answering a DIRECT question.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Um, it's pretty evident that the standard itself has a disparate impact on people of alternative sexuality...

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited May 2008
    This is a tacet endorsement of homophobia simply because it's the view of the majority of their vocal users. There's nothing more to it. Sure it's their right. I'm still not getting live because of this.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    This is a tacet endorsement of homophobia simply because it's the view of the majority of their vocal users. There's nothing more to it. Sure it's their right. I'm still not getting live because of this.

How does this endorse Homophobia if the standard is equally applied to GT's with hetero descriptors?

stranger678 on
    PASig.jpg
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    I wonder if they would stop me from going for "TheComunistGamer"

I think 'TheCommonestGamer' would be more up your street.

Also, this is a stupid discussion. Of course Microsoft has the right to police their own service.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited May 2008

How does this endorse Homophobia if the standard is equally applied to GT's with hetero descriptors?

Because there's no evidence of that being the case. Once Straight Gamer 37 gets banned that'll be a coherent point.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Because there's no evidence of that being the case. Once Straight Gamer 37 gets banned that'll be a coherent point.

From the MS dudes response:
    We view these situations objectively during our review under the terms of use. To answer the question another way, yes "TheStraighterGamer" or "TheHeterosexualgamer" would have gotten the same treatment and would have been found to be in violation and forced to be changed. We've actually done that to tags like that before.

can be found at: http://www.stepto.com/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=434

I just don't like the idea that we can accuse them of allowing rampant homophobia without evidence, for all we know this policy is applied equally to all, and to say that it isn't without evidence is just being reactionary.

stranger678 on
    PASig.jpg
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

I thought it was. Or at least ones similar.

We could always test it. Sign up for a free silver account with that name and I'll petition it see what MS do.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Slightly off topic but still very important.

Breaking news! Gay marriage just legalized in the last hour in California!

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Edit: NM just read the ruling on CNN.com

stranger678 on
    PASig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Slightly off topic but still very important.

Breaking news! Gay marriage just legalized in the last hour in California!

Wasn't it legalized before and then struck down on a federal level? Similar to the Legalized marijuana movement in some states?
    California Supreme Court just legalized it.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    JCRooksJCRooks Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Ugh. I just wanted to point out that there are plenty of gay/bi/lesbian employees working at Microsoft, and in the games division as well. Company policy and employee benefits have always been very beneficial to same-sex/domestic partnerships (equal, in fact, to hetero couples). The company culture has always been very "liberal".

I hope you don't imply that the company or its employees, through this policy (which has already been stated to apply both ways), tacitly endorses homophobia because that would be wrong. And if anything, offensive to the gay/bi/lesbian employees who work on the team.

JCRooks on
    Xbox LIVE, Steam, Twitter, etc. ...
    Gamertag: Rooks
    - Don't add me, I'm at/near the friend limit :)

Steam: JC_Rooks

Twitter: http://twitter.com/JiunweiC

I work on this: http://www.xbox.com
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    JCRooks wrote: »

Ugh. I just wanted to point out that there are plenty of gay/bi/lesbian employees working at Microsoft, and in the games division as well. Company policy and employee benefits have always been very beneficial to same-sex/domestic partnerships (equal, in fact, to hetero couples). The company culture has always been very "liberal".

I hope you don't imply that the company or its employees, through this policy (which has already been stated to apply both ways), tacitly endorses homophobia because that would be wrong. And if anything, offensive to the gay/bi/lesbian employees who work on the team.

Don't bring logic or facts into this. They have no place here. M$ hates the gays.

Also, bravo California.

Dirty on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Okay guys, check it out.

This topic is highly charged. Anyone who thinks for a brief moment before they post should be able to see that clearly.

The posting of inane drivel is dumb, regardless of where you do it. But it's especially dumb to do it in a thread like this one.

If you've got opinions on this topic, feel free to post them. If you disagree with the opinions of others, feel free to debate them. But don't be a fucking moron.

One person just earned a tempban by accumulated points for posting inane drivel in the face of repeated warnings. Let's not make it two.

Captain K on
  • Options
    Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    M$ hates the gays.

Truer words could not have been spoken. I am appalled that people are so willing to let Microsoft ban all gay gamers from XBL simply because the majority of XBL users are homophones. I'm against smoking pot but since the majority of XBL users have 420 as a prefix or suffix, that issue will never be addressed.
    Willeth wrote:
    I'm fairly sure it's still a joke.

If you think MS infringing on our civil liberties is a joke then yes, this is all one big joke. :roll:
    I don't know you. But from reading your scant couple of posts in this thread, it seems like you're just looking for an excuse to burn Microsoft.

Microsoft is the one burning people. Burning them of their rights to express themselves freely! Despite what the TOS may say it's still the individual's right to express who they are how they want, even if it offends others. That's what makes this country great.

Also for those just tuning in, I want to remind you to send friend requests to FreindOfGaymers on XBL so we can organize our protests and initiate real change!

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    M$ hates the gays.

Truer words could not have been spoken. I am appalled that people are so willing to let Microsoft ban all gay gamers from XBL simply because the majority of XBL users are homophones. I'm against smoking pot but since the majority of XBL users have 420 as a prefix or suffix, that issue will never be addressed.

Hyperbole much? Maybe you just need to create your own suffix to let other's know you're gay. Like 99 or something.

Rook on
  • Options
    Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    M$ hates the gays.

Hyperbole much? Maybe you just need to create your own suffix to let other's know you're gay. Like 99 or something.

I'm not gay but I'm all for standing up for the rights of the oppressed. And I think 99's already taken by the anime crowd.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Seriously, people, you really think just homophobes reported the name?
    I'd be willing to bet you can find plenty of activists for gay rights who assumed the gamertag was making fun of gays considering how much the term is thrown about. *if they hadn't have read this story first

Hell if I ran into that tag on live my first thought wouldn't have been the guy was gay.

Accualt on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Actually, how about we get a fresh start altogether.

This topic is clearly worth discussing, but this thread is sucking hard.

Atlus, I'm quite familiar with your sense of humor and I've laughed at your antics in the past, but you're just being an idiot right now. Either start being serious or just avoid discussing this topic altogether.

Captain K on
This discussion has been closed.