As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Dump of Violence(WIP)(NSF56K)

ViolenceManViolenceMan Registered User regular
edited December 2006 in Artist's Corner
Decided to make a this for a Battle thread on another site.

StickViolence-Bana001.jpg

ehh, while I'm at it, I might as well post this for crits.
swimsuit.jpg

I need to do more still life peices.

wheres.gif
ViolenceMan on

• Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2006
    I know that the thing on his head is underwear because you've mentioned it before, but it really doesn't look like underwear.

I have to say this is a pretty interesting looking character.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    That's because of te weird way the underwear is overlapping with the clothes. Get a scruffy-haired person to put on briefs on his head for reference.

Mayday on
  • Options
    red_wyrnred_wyrn Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Mayday wrote:
    That's because of te weird way the underwear is overlapping with the clothes. Get a scruffy-haired person to put on briefs on his head for reference.

That is probably the best way to do this. Then you have to take pictures to black-mail the poor sap :twisted:

I'd say the biggest problem is that it looks like the briefs are made from unbending cardboard.

red_wyrn on
    Somewhere out there is a person just like me.... and i bet that he's boring as hell too.

no drugs were used in the making of this art
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    Lets see what we have here:

When I first drew bana, way back in the days of yester-years, he started out as a quick pen sketch and as he evolved, I decided not to touch the undies to keep his "cartooniness"
    (ONOZ HERES A FLASHBACK)

doodle001.jpg

So with that, my next post will be Bana w/ new and improved undergarment and a T shirt design.

ViolenceMan on
    wheres.gif
  • Options
    DOOM2099DOOM2099 Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    I love this!!!!!

DOOM2099 on
    webcomiclogo6ty.jpg
    My God Awful WebComic
  • Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Well that was a useless bump of this thread.

Art maybe?

Sublimus on
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    My dad is loves cars, so for father's day thats what I drew for him.

car002.jpg

edit: the car is a Cadillac XLR with a silver paint job

heres the ref I used:
    http://thewallpapers.narod.ru/archive03/free-desktop-wallpaper-cadillac-evoq-1024x768.jpg

ViolenceMan on
    wheres.gif
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    ~The perspective is really wonky on it, and the reflections seem totally random, they don't make sense. Maybe because it's on a blank page you don't get to see the environment it's reflecting, which is frankly, a bizarre one in that ref! Fucking cool car though :D

Lly on
  • Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Silly but helpfull trick to get perspective right:
    The first thing you draw is a transparant "cube"-thingy (what's the english word for a cube, but stretched out or long?)

Try to draw the car in such a way that it fits naturally inside the "cube".

Because here it almost looks like some parts on the tip (like the grill) are drawn in no perspective at all, just flat.

The front of the car should be more "slanted", the left wheel (from my point of vieuw) should be a lil' higher up for instance. Now it kinda looks like a car with a bent front-side.

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Well actually only one concept and it's just another redo of my character

but first, markers:

markerpractice001.jpg
    practice with markers... it's still kind of weird though

michelle002.jpg
    made it for my sister's birthday, the cartoony verisions are okay, but its the life sketch that I would like critiques on.

ReekoArk.jpg
    concept for Reeko Ark again, hes looking better

edit: prooves that deviantArt is not a good image hosting site

ViolenceMan on
    wheres.gif
  • Options
    FantasyrogueFantasyrogue Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    DeviantArt is not good for hotlinking off of :P (not it's purpose either).

The first image has some weird shading on the figure at front, his head appears round shape-wise but the shadow suggests otherwise.

I like where you're going with the cartoony faces (although the cut-off arm looks a bit weird). I suck at crit'ing real life stuff :? I'll let someone more eloquent and proficient at crit'ing life stuff handle it.

Last one, concept is going well but his legs are too short and his lower legs/feet throw off his balance. (Also, what's the interesting backstory behind that eye? :)... and why does it change position sometimes?)

Fantasyrogue on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    I'm glad you asked!

Long ago in the 9th grade, I was sitting at my desk in math when I noticed some smudge marks in the desk I was at. Lazily, I drew up the first render of Reeko over those smudges. This is how Reeko received a swirl and circle as eyes.

Really its just any artistic thing, but I've been thinking about weither I should add some sort of funtion to it (see into the future, see better in the dark, dark vision?). But for now its just something cool to look at.

As for the eye switching places, that was because I fucked up. The swirl is supposed to be on the left side of his face and the circle on the left.

ViolenceMan on
    wheres.gif
  • Options
    VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    The swirl is supposed to be on the left side of his face and the circle on the left.
    So he has no right eye?

;)

Virum on
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    You need to spend some time and study cloth/fabric. The folds you have drawn make no sense. Also his legs are incredibly thin when compared to his well built torso, looks kinda weird.

Lly on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I liked the other design better, it was more interesting. It had attitude! This one seems like a generic henchman.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    I liked the other design better, it was more interesting. It had attitude! This one seems like a generic henchman.

Like this?

Reekooldskool001.jpg

I was trying to make Reeko more detailed , but I kinda like this way better.

edit: goddamn he looks constapaited.

title edit: Would you look then?

ViolenceMan on
    wheres.gif
  • Options
    crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2006
    but its the life sketch that I would like critiques on.

Alright, major major thing about life-like drawing: lines do not exist. Best you get are really, really thin shadows and eyelashes, and things like that. The lines we see in a face are put there by our head; most of the time, they're defined by the shapes formed where contrasting values meet.

Speaking of value, that's the second major issue with the piece. A drawing teacher I once had said that the biggest problem with novice drawers is that they're afraid of the dark. What he meant was that they're afraid to push the contrast in their drawings anywhere near the limit. For instance, with your drawing, the pupils and the lines around the mouth are the darkest parts, but they're outliers--lines are usually dark anyways, and when people think pupil, they think black, so they have no problem darkening those. But if you look for the darkest non-line part of her face (looks to be either the lips or the edge of her face), it's not very dark--a quick check in a drawing program tells me it's about a 55% black. So your drawing lies almost entirely in the region from 0% to 55%, leaving nearly everything from 55 to 100 out of the drawing. Now, with graphite, it can be pretty tough to get a real 100% black, but it can certainly to better than half.

Anyway, there's my much-too-long ramble; hope it helps some.

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    I swear, I'll stop changing my titles.

Anyways, here another concept I'm working with. He looks too much like Ganondorf though. If there was one thing I didn't like about Zanoff, it was his skin tone. I couldn't get the right color I was looking for, I wanted him to have a more redish brown tone rather than that gold tanned look.

ZanoffConcept001.jpg

ZanoffConcept002.jpg

hmm, that second pic wasn't that size before. I'll scan it agian later.

ViolenceMan on
    wheres.gif
  • Options
    Captain Fantazmo LaserbeeCaptain Fantazmo Laserbee Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    You might want to redraw it, too, because his legs are about two full heads short of what they should be, even considering exaggeration. The weight distribution in some of the pieces seems off, too. For example, the last one you posted. To me, it looks like he's leaning to his right with his left foot about two inches off the ground. If you took a life drawing class, they probably told you that you should be able to draw a straight line from the chin to the point where weight rests, -or- to be able to balance the weight of the object on either side of where the weight rests, assuming there is just one point. If there are multiple points, it's simultaneously more and less involved. (But the line is generally drawn from the chin or the midpoint of the figure) The weight of the body there seems unbalanced.

And yeah, you should take your own advice and draw more from life. Do some studies on shape and form, proportions, the bulk of the figure, and some gestures.

Captain Fantazmo Laserbee on
  • Options
    ShiboeShiboe Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Not to be a pill, but this guy seems very much identical to to a character from full metal alchemist. I'm not a fanboy or anything, but it's pretty damn easy to see the resemblance. Perhaps you should rethink your character design when it is so much like a quite famous (and fanboy'ed) T.V. show?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8htbo6l3idc&search=full%20metal%20greed
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homunculi_of_Fullmetal_Alchemist#Greed

Google is my friend.

Shiboe on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    hmm, Zanoff does bare a great resemblence to Greed, which is no doubt where I got his Berserker form from. I was going to change the way he looks anyways, but now this confirms that I have to.

I think I'm going to stay away from cartoons for awhile and just focus on life studies. I defintely need the practice.

ViolenceMan on
    wheres.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I'm back, and this time I bring gifts of joy.

ZanoffColor001.jpg
    Nothing new, same messed up feet, and same messed up height along with other problems. I like his colors though.

eyes001.jpg
    Study for eyes.

slefportrait001.jpg
    Self Portrait. Charcol and Chauk.

NeoGuitaroMan002.jpg
    Was going to be my entry for the Super Hero thing, didn't finish the background... meh. :roll:

NeoGuitaroMan003.jpg
    same guy, but in markers.

Atomo002.jpg
    Had an idea for an android that uses Thunder based attacks. His name is Atomo 5. Used Spec's style for this one.

Atomo001.jpg
    By now I've realised never color over the original copy. So what do ya'll think? To bright? Wrong colors? What the fuck is up with his face? Tell me, I need to know.

ANHS001.jpg
    Shirt design for Art National Honor Society.

So yeah, I've gotten alittle better, but some of the problems are still there.
    Comments and Crits please.

ViolenceMan on
    wheres.gif
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    When I first saw the linework for the android that used thunder-based attacks, I thought of that mediocre anime Zatch Bell. The lines on his face kind of resemble what your character looks like, not to mention the whole thunder as an attack thing going on (much like the main character in the TV show).

Maybe slightly alter the face so that it doesn't look like you're borrowing ideas unintentionally?

Godfather on
  • Options
    galengalen Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    You seem to have a tendency to draw very short legs on your characters. I think you're doing this unintentionally because you're running out of room on the paper, and you're trying to fit everything in. Either start drawing higher on the page, draw smaller (which I don't recommend) get a larger sketchbook so you have more room to mess with, or connect separate sheets of paper.

Your android character's colors look okay, but I'm not so sure about the French flag he has painted on his face.

galen on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Ladies and Gentlemen, for my birthday...

[spoiler:3e6a055eb6] I got a Tablet.[/spoiler:3e6a055eb6]

Heck yes! I've been messing with this thing all day, and let me tell you. It. Is. Awesome!!!!!

NeoAtomo5.jpg

So yeah, after awhile I changed the colors of Atomo's face, and I even have a few comic pages of him done (though I warn you now, they make absolutly no sense). I'll try to post those up, along with some other things I've been working on in the next few days.

edit: page 2! This calls for a celebration!!!
    1156803539121.gif
    weee!!!

ViolenceMan on
    wheres.gif
  • Options
    Lewis RiceLewis Rice Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    HECK YES, BROTHA!

I'm getting one for christmas and by god do I want to go to the tree and rip it from its packet. I can't wait to start inking stuff. 8)

Lewis Rice on
  • Options
    RazzaRazza Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I should probably let you know your "Zanof" concept is borderline exactly the same as a Full Metal Alchemist character (one of the Humonculus, i forget which one)m even down to the teeth and the way the black "skin" is moving over his body in blocks.

Razza on
    Have love, will travel.
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I watched alot of Fullmetal Alchemist back when I created him so theres no doubt bthat where I got the berserker form, if not anything else of him. Don't worry I'm ditching design and try to think up a new one.

ViolenceMan on
    wheres.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    So if you hadn't notice, I do alot of character sketches. Infact, I think thats all I have in some of my sketch books. So to break away from the this redondant routine, I'll be posting a sort of pop art peice.

TrippyWIP.jpg

this is still in the early stages, so if you see anything wrong, let me know. thanks.

ViolenceMan on
    wheres.gif
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    What are you doing the heart piece in? Photoshop, Illustrator? If you're suing either, use the pen tool to get the hearts to be smooth. Unless you're going for the not so smooth look, ignore me.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Due to certain computer problems, I have been forced to use Open Canvas, as it doesn't lag the shit out of my computer when I use my tablet.

ViolenceMan on
    wheres.gif
  • Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Pen tool of Illustrator works better with the mouse IMO.

Sublimus on
  • Options
    Gachamecha AthleteGachamecha Athlete Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    *foams*
    I... want... tablet... NOW

What tablet did you get?
    I've had my eye on the Intous 3 6x8

Gachamecha Athlete on
  • Options
    JCMJCM Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Ive got a cheapo Taiwan-made cheapo "Genius" tablet.

JCM on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I got a Wacom Intuos 6X4. Its pretty nice for beginners.

ViolenceMan on
    wheres.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Nothing new on the pop art peice today, just a report on all I've done in about a month, enjoy.

about these, before you guys go "what the fuck are the doing speaking math!?", let me explain. This was for a math project, hence why thats all they speak, and hence why the teacher just had to place 3 reed check all over the paper.
    aTOMOComic002.jpg
    aTOMOComic001.jpg

I've used a reference for all of these, except for one. Can you guys guess which is it?
    cowboy001.jpg
    farmer001.jpg
    camp001.jpg
    miners001.jpg

This is a flyer for a book signing in Houston. Grant you I've never read this book, but someone asked me to do it and well, I can't say no to money. The Only thing I hate about this though is the first panel and the girl's face.
    flyer001.jpg

Cartoonier version of Atomo 5, I like his expressions in this style.
    neo001.jpg

ViolenceMan on
    wheres.gif
  • Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    LOL @ the math-talk. I can just imagine them saying it out loud, using the voices you would find in a show like DBZ (Over Nine Thooooouuussaannd!)

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Radical your mom squared.

Edit: Your legs are always really freakin' short. I suggest lengthening them, plzz.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Just quickly skimmed your wrok, I like the cartoonier version of atomo alot better than the others. Id say keep workin with that.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    did your teacher seriously put red pen on your originals?

go back and punch him in the fucking eye.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg