As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Linking DHCP to DNS?

electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
On my network I have one fileserver which runs as a DHCP server and WINS server. The WINS server aspect works fine, and the windows machines can resolve each others names no matter what. However the Mac and Linux systems on the network only want to resolve the names if they're asked in the context of an SMB connection - if they try to say, ssh to the server then they won't resolve it's hostname.

Basically what I want to do is setup DNS on my DHCP server so it'll take the DHCP client IDs and resolve them for the addresses they're assigned to, and pass any other requests on to my ADSL modem (which serves the internet DHCP requests).

Is there some minimal pain way to go about this? There's a lot of information out there, which is exactly the problem - it's hard to find anything specific.

electricitylikesme on

• JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Might be easier to set up zeroconf, I think there's a server for Windows.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Turns out there's actually an NSS module for WINS integration, which will let your Linux machines resolve using WINS directly. In Ubuntu it's installed with the "winbind" package.

No luck on finding info for OS X yet, because "mac wins" isn't very useful Google search.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'll check out winbind.

Yast has a utility for setting up DHCP zones, but it doesn't look like it particularly wants to give them meaningful hostnames.

electricitylikesme on
  • CausticCaustic Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    What OS is running on your file server? Most DHCP solutions I know tie into DNS to update the PTR and A records accordingly.

As far as DNS goes... is there a specific reason you want only the ADSL to resolve internet names? If you install DNS on the server and provide it the correct root hints servers it will resolve everything on the interwebs fine.

Caustic on
    COMPLETELY TRUE FACT ABOUT THE MOVIE "POCKET NINJAS" #2: Director Dave Eddy was once arrested for illegally propositioning the Baby Jesus Christmas figurine outside the Our Lady of the Monotonous Peace church in downtown Burbank.
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm guessing that your DHCP server is Linux based.

However if it is Windows Server 2003+, Active Directory gives you the ability to have this functionality. it's been a few years since I last set a windows network up, but dig around it's there.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I owe an update for this - by messing around with the dhcpd settings I got the dns and dhcp playing nice with each other. Turns out once again that Yast is useless.

electricitylikesme on