As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Estiah], Or how to play a mmorpg at work

• Options
    UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, this is a deceptively addicting and well-done game. And yeah, that does come off as both ignorant and arrogant.

Give it a try, nothing to lose.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    AldarezAldarez Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    citizen059 wrote: »
    I really don't need another game to soak up my time...

With Estiah's action point system, it's not really a time-sink. You get 20 action points every 2 hours, once they're gone you can't do anything until you get more. So you can just log in for a few minutes every day, do your thing and leave it til the next.

Aldarez on
    2188939-1.png
  • Options
    LehmanLehman Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Nobody here is going to grab you by the throat to try the game or like it even if you do try it. Its a fun game to kill 10-15 mins out of your day and has a surprising amount of depth for what it is.

Lehman on
    Xbox Live: LehmanCM
    SteamID: steamcommunity.com/id/lehmancm/
    BnS: Draggan (Server:Poharan)
  • Options
    DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I tried to spread the addiction of this game to another forum I hang out on and it didn't take. no one got how in-depth and dynamic and fun the game is. They told me to play Kingdom of Loathing instead. I tried it, and while a lot of it is hilarious, it doesn't have nearly the depth of Estiah. I stopped even doing my daily 10 minutes of KoL after a couple days, while Estiah has kept me logging in day after day, usually like 5 times a day on 2 characters -_-

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Aldarez wrote: »
    The changes to PvP in the new patch are interesting. I really like the idea of lowered AP for attacking higher level players, the 4x multiplier on rating loss while there's a bounty on you seems a bit harsh though.

I also like the changes as well. I think the lowered AP cost is almost necessary now that they've taken out the noobie-shard farming aspect. (Which is a good thing, even if I did benefit greatly from it.)

4x multiplier rating loss does seem a bit much - I'm betting they'll likely introduce some other PvP benefit later on to offset it. Destructobeam had a good post about it on their forums.

The Raging Platypus on
    Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • Options
    JadedJaded Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Damn you Friguletz!
    Frig Vs. Dom

Jaded on
    I can't think of anything clever.
  • Options
    TalTal Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Argh, that Vampire is really frustrating me. It seems like the random charm selection from my deck is working against me. I've got heavy armor / ward and the rest is pretty much all magic / poison but it doesn't matter. I'll play Air Freeze when he has no ward up, Brawler's poison right after he puts some up, and both Terrine's Heavy Shields right in a row. I'm not sure how else I can tweak this deck, or if I just don't have the charms needed for it.

Edit: Here's the last 2 of 8 -- yes, 8 -- attempts. The deck has gone through some tweaking, but the gist has been the same.

http://www.estiah.com/character/combat/replay/id/139710/owner/10310
    http://www.estiah.com/character/combat/replay/id/139649/owner/10310

Tal on
  • Options
    EriEri Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It looks like you are way too defensive with your charm choices. Half your deck is defensive. You aren't going to exhaust him. Go for more penetrations and straight up damage. You can go with 1, maybe 2 wards and maybe 4 armors.

Eri on
    RcvUk.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    That pretty much did it. I went with a 16 charm deck, 2 armor / 2 ward and the rest just focused on my heavy hitting melee charms.

I think the part that threw me off was that at one point when I was 14, the heavy defense / poison deck actually worked. And I seem to recall it working quite well too. So at some point I decided that was the winning strategy and that's what I stuck to. The one time the rare deck draw actually works in my favor -- it turns out it doesn't. :lol:

Tal on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    There's advantages and disadvantages to any deck type in different situations. It helps to review fights and see how best to counter whatever you're up against.

I actually like to copy the fight reply and paste it into excel to sort it and better see what happened and how often.

Eri on
    RcvUk.gif
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Okay, yeah, so I tried this.

Dammit.

I hate you guys.

Also, I hate that my first impressions are wrong, and that I haven't yet seemed to learn from this.

I'll be playing this for a while, I think.
    I don't hate you. :)

citizen059 on
  • Options
    AkiraAkira Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Well that officially makes me the first Novice in Estiah 8-)

A day later than most of the high levels because Zeal is in the middle of nowhere and takes forever to get there from Gaea's Dawn even after wasting my job use for today getting there faster.

Akira on
    akira.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Horse riding rankups aren't bad though, just to delay leveling I did that for about 4 days straight once. The jobs that require rank 1 of it are two days worth of travel by themselves, so it'll pay off later on. And yeah, I'm kind of lucky that the Scout place is in Eclis - I can buy new class charms as I level up.

So far they do not help all that much against this retardedly difficult last fight.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Fraid I'm hooked too ya bastards heh.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Yay I'm a wanted man, whoooooo! You like me, you really like me! *swoons*

The Raging Platypus on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    any advice on how an int/con toon can clear Thunderock Cavern at the intended level? int/con gets me maces and holy scrolls. the maces would probably do just fine vs. the 2nd and 3rd guys, but holy scrolls don't do enough burst magic damage for the first encounter :(

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, I'm already too addicted.

I have four characters.

Four. One for each general path, and because only one character can't satisfy me.

See what you've done to me? This is why I hate you all.
    By hate I mean love.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Christ, Ghost Mine certainly caught me unprepared.
    I just blew an inordinate amount of AP points trying to kill the last guy. This is what I get for ignoring spirit based charms almost entirely up to this point. *heads off to craft willpower charms*

The Raging Platypus on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Apparently the key lies in actually
    dealing spirit damage rather than mitigating the boss's spirit attacks through your willpower.

I did both, but the dev's basically said they designed it to be easier than how I cleared it.

Eri on
    RcvUk.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Do skills level worse if you use low level charms?

The Recruit Trainer job is one I'd like to perform, however the one requirement I'm missing from it is Axe at level 1. Axe, in fact, is about 11 points into level 1 as the only axe I've ever used is 1 shocking axe. I think I've got a little ability to use some cheap 100g vendor axes and still survive, but I don't want to waste the gold if charm level is tied into skill gains like target level is.

Any ideas?

Tal on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Tal - No, skill gain is tied to the number of charms you've used in the fight - it has nothing to do with level of those charms.

Disco - If you're level 12 you should still have the right stats to gear up with other stuff besides maces or holy magic. Any kind of magic is good for the first fight - when I was that level I had no issue after I put together a magical damage only gear.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    On a sidenote, I just won the contest for first non-beta player to beat The Game in Eclis. I already have 5 gear slots though so I'm giving up the 1st place prize and putting it up for whoever takes second - so if any of you guys (I think Sakiro may be the only one high level enough to try) have been going for it, keep at it.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Cool. I was thinking using low level charms should be enough of a penalty by themselves, but I wasn't sure if anyone knew otherwise. Thanks.

Tal on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    On a sidenote, I just won the contest for first non-beta player to beat The Game in Eclis. I already have 5 gear slots though so I'm giving up the 1st place prize and putting it up for whoever takes second - so if any of you guys (I think Sakiro may be the only one high level enough to try) have been going for it, keep at it.

Wow, congrats! I would have put money on Shaka doing it first, but you're right there with him =)

The Raging Platypus on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I'm probably out of the running just because I'm still on the other side of the continent. Heading there now but won't be able to try for a couple days unless I blow job uses and its not really worth losing them.

Akira on
    akira.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Wow, congrats! I would have put money on Shaka doing it first, but you're right there with him =)

Shaka DID do it first. The contest was for the first non-beta tester to do it. All the beta testers pretty much clear everything first because they've done it all before. I'm pretty sure Loti32 has beat it by now too, but it could just have been Shaka again. I'm either the 2nd or 3rd overall to clear it, but the 1st non beta player.

Kind of takes the piss out of all the 'server first' type of accomplishments, seeing all the players that have already done it and know the fights do it first in the real release of the game, but eh.

Akira - There are still very few non beta players in Eclis at the right level to really have a chance. You could be in the top 5 to win it easy, and dare I say you have a shot at taking 2nd place (and the extra gear) if you have enough class charms.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Shaka DID do it first. The contest was for the first non-beta tester to do it. All the beta testers pretty much clear everything first because they've done it all before. I'm pretty sure Loti32 has beat it by now too, but it could just have been Shaka again. I'm either the 2nd or 3rd overall to clear it, but the 1st non beta player.

Kind of takes the piss out of all the 'server first' type of accomplishments, seeing all the players that have already done it and know the fights do it first in the real release of the game, but eh.

Akira - There are still very few non beta players in Eclis at the right level to really have a chance. You could be in the top 5 to win it easy, and dare I say you have a shot at taking 2nd place (and the extra gear) if you have enough class charms.

*smacks forehead* My brain totally glossed over the "non-beta" part.

On another note, it's always weird seeing you and Shaka sporting platypus avatars. Always takes me a second to realize that I don't actually have 4 accounts on at the same time. :P

The Raging Platypus on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Well I can probably clear it Friday when I can arrive there, so it just depends on how many more (if any) do it before then.

Akira on
    akira.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Akira wrote: »
    Well I can probably clear it Friday when I can arrive there, so it just depends on how many more (if any) do it before then.

Greeeezzy is there and trying every day, though he has been complaining that he isn't really coming any closer to beating it yet. Other than that there are no non-beta players even in Eclis. You don't have much competition to worry about, I'm pretty confident you'll at least be in the top 5.

The contest is kind of unfair to non-scouts though. I could get new scout charms the second I got the requisite stats or cash because the shop was in the same city as the dungeon.

Then again, all bets were on me to win it anyhow. <_<

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The more I play the more I enjoy it. Gathering the different charms and putting them together for strategy is a lot of fun. Did my first raid today too. The level 15 raid in the southern-ish city. I was level 14 and signed up for a public party... and a very high level person joined me (had about 250 hps) and we wasted it. I don't think my under 150 hps were enough if another low level person would have joined... that thing has cards that hit for 50 hps. ouch.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Dyvion wrote: »
    The more I play the more I enjoy it. Gathering the different charms and putting them together for strategy is a lot of fun. Did my first raid today too. The level 15 raid in the southern-ish city. I was level 14 and signed up for a public party... and a very high level person joined me (had about 250 hps) and we wasted it. I don't think my under 150 hps were enough if another low level person would have joined... that thing has cards that hit for 50 hps. ouch.

Yeah but it is still stunned for a few turns afterwards. I've had no issue with the fight with two level 14's - it's a super easy encounter unless you get really really unlucky and he focus fires someone without using the 'Take Aim' charm.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I got my first character to level 5 today, I've been using Gathering for some easy cash & skill/attribute gains, tossing in the sewer & arena stuff where I can.

He's at 11 Pow, 10 Con, 4 Dex, 3 Int...I'm takin' him up the fighter/merc/berserker path.

Any advice at this point, things I should be doing or looking out for?

citizen059 on
  • Options
    BungletongueBungletongue Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I got my first character to level 5 today, I've been using Gathering for some easy cash & skill/attribute gains, tossing in the sewer & arena stuff where I can.

He's at 11 Pow, 10 Con, 4 Dex, 3 Int...I'm takin' him up the fighter/merc/berserker path.

Personally I'd suggest not focusing on one area too soon. This is to say, keep your ultimate goal in mind, while at the same time working on a little bit of everything. From what I've seen, using a broad spectrum is a wise and effective strategy until mid to higher levels.

I say this because I've been training Mckilo for the Champion route and while it did initially get some quick levels, I'm now in the situation where I'm lvl 16 and having to go back and train level 1 weapon skills due to maxing out my main skills early.

TL; DR: Don't specialize your charms until around lvl 20 or so. It's embarrasing having to use entry level charms in lvl 16-20 fights.

Bungletongue on
  • Options
    artifexiteartifexite Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So, I just tried the game. Wow, very interesting. Not sure if I can do it geared like I am.
    wtb deathkite

artifexite on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Personally I'd suggest not focusing on one area too soon. This is to say, keep your ultimate goal in mind, while at the same time working on a little bit of everything. From what I've seen, using a broad spectrum is a wise and effective strategy until mid to higher levels.

I say this because I've been training Mckilo for the Champion route and while it did initially get some quick levels, I'm now in the situation where I'm lvl 16 and having to go back and train level 1 weapon skills due to maxing out my main skills early.

TL; DR: Don't specialize your charms until around lvl 20 or so. It's embarrasing having to use entry level charms in lvl 16-20 fights.

Noted, and appreciated. Thanks. :lol:

citizen059 on
  • Options
    YannYann Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Took a little vacation from this but got back in it today and cleared the crystal valley. Very interesting fights.

Protip: Bring some Burial Grass.

Oh, and for ghost mine, bring some Oniris.

Yann on
  • Options
    LehmanLehman Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Im lvl 18 now and just picked up my first batch of pvp charms and will probably go back for about 8 more or so in the next day or two. Just got attacked by musing platypus or something which I think I assume is you Raging?

Lehman on
    Xbox Live: LehmanCM
    SteamID: steamcommunity.com/id/lehmancm/
    BnS: Draggan (Server:Poharan)
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    wish you could play the AH in this game. Dark Iron Suits are going for 1500 on auction, when the mats to make them are like 300 total...

on that subject, what's the difference between items that are +spirit and +willpower? +spirit heals spirit damage while +willpower is armor against spirit damage or something? or when the item says "1 Spirit on yourself" it means it does 1 spirit damage to yourself?

when I think about it, I guess that makes sense, or else those armors would be pretty OP

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, willpower is your spirit defense, while spirit is erm...your spirit attack. And one spirit on yourself is discard a card unless you've got some willpower.

And did someone say the ghost mines gave them a lot of con gear they couldn't use? I'd like to see that, because right now I'm getting tons of int gear I can't use. 5 spirit weapons that are int primary, 1 that's pow that I should be able to use around level 23, and 1 cauterize that sounds awesome but again is int / pow.

Where's all the con / dex love? :(

Tal on
  • Options
    artifexiteartifexite Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The game is a bitch. That's the closest I've gotten so far.

Oh god, I didn't realize I still had the crappy extra attack cards. Going to try without those.

artifexite on