As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Write your own self-help book.

TostitosTostitos __BANNED USERS regular
edited May 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
When I grew up, my parents had a lot of books. Actually, that doesn't really invoke the magnitude involved here. Try a metric fuck-tonne* of books, ranging in quality from antique books from the 1800s-1900s that they let me read and sometimes fuck up D: to an entire wall covered in first edition civil war history written by people that were there, to 1980s self-help books that they probably bought for shits and giggles. I learned something interesting from my parents, and that was if you scour enough bullshit you can start assembling a pattern out of the actual realistic information buried within, sort of like gold dust in a stream of cliche.

I just finished leafing through the genre of 'self help' related to 'being a salesman' which, if you are looking for irritating crap, is a good place to entertain yourself. I had a brilliant idea, and by brilliant I mean I drank a lot of coffee and I might as well do something with my time.

I'm adding up little bits of life wisdom from my experience that can be canned into sentence headings, like so:

Do it fucking now
Chemically augment yourself
Sunshine is important for everyone, even you
The people who said violence never solves anything, lied
They were also lying about money and happiness
Greed is good
Karma is as real as you make it
Read a book
Paranoia is "well prepared" when it actually happens

etc.

You could and should post the same!

*The UK fuck-tonne is approximately two giga-fucks larger than the American fuck-ton.

The internet gives me a native +2 bonus in Craft (Disturbing Mental Image).
Tostitos on

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    My self-help book would have only one chapter:

Self-help books suck, don't listen to some jackass who probably has just as many problems as you but feels like he has some great foresight to fixing people that he can make money from.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I think that should be the first chapter of our self-help book.

Tostitos on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    See my sig.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    -Liquor before beer, you're in the clear
    -Make sure that you balance out hours when you're using pot with hours using Aderal, the two balance each other out inside your head.
    -Violence is not the way, threatening violence is.
    -Unless you're dealing with an Inquisitor who can handle Level 1 interrogation techniques
    -If you understand what the last point was, you're a fucking nerd.

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Pot and Adderall potentiate each other, actually. :winky:

Violence is better than threatening violence if you have a means to an end with that violence. Violence for the sake of violence is for people with the brains of an ape and / or rappers.

Tostitos on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Tostitos wrote: »
    Pot and Adderall potentiate each other, actually. :winky:

I've found the opposite.

-The (rich white) people that are pushing that poison aren't your friends.
    -Don't read the Youtube comments.

TL DR on
  • Options
    ArceusArceus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

How do you mean, like drugs? Or botox?

Arceus on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Arceus wrote: »

How do you mean, like drugs? Or botox?

Anything that works. I used to abuse caffeine. Now when I need to get 'in the zone,' I can spend a half hour meditating my way there, or down a shot and be there quicker. I suppose if I were going to be in a fistfight, I might do some cocaine first. If I were working manual labor and needed to unwind after a long, tedious day, I might drink beer, or I might pack a bowl. (I avoid marijuana as it makes my mind and reflexes slow which is the exact opposite of my current desires)

Tostitos on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    Kagera wrote: »

Self-help books suck, don't listen to some jackass who probably has just as many problems as you but feels like he has some great foresight to fixing people that he can make money from.

There are lots and lots of very useful, valuable self-help books. There's also lots of schlock out there. That doesn't invalidate the good ones. Mostly it's about the pedigree of the writer. Books written by people with real educations (Eric Berne, Carl Rogers, etc) are often excellent, and often more specific than the schlock.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

Though I have to say that "don't read the YouTube comments" is pretty good advice all-around.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Feral wrote: »

Though I have to say that "don't read the YouTube comments" is pretty good advice all-around.

Certainly not if you want to retain any shreds of faith in humanity.

Tostitos on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

There are lots and lots of very useful, valuable self-help books. There's also lots of schlock out there. That doesn't invalidate the good ones. Mostly it's about the pedigree of the writer. Books written by people with real educations (Eric Berne, Carl Rogers, etc) are often excellent, and often more specific than the schlock.

I was dating this girl while she worked for a psychologist who was one of the co-authors on this book and a few others. Those books were pretty good, because they (A) were written by licensed professionals with strong experience and (B) they gave concrete specific advice for people to manage their own problems.

But I do think that the majority of self-help books are crap, and it's kind of hard for the regular consumer to tell the crap from the good stuff.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    edited May 2008
    Maybe by self-help I meant list of advice that is likely to be quite useful in your life although inadequate for solving crippling life problems.

Tostitos on
  • Options
    NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

I was dating this girl while she worked for a psychologist who was one of the co-authors on this book and a few others. Those books were pretty good, because they (A) were written by licensed professionals with strong experience and (B) they gave concrete specific advice for people to manage their own problems.

But I do think that the majority of self-help books are crap.

Also, the people who actually could make use of them don't have the expertise to separate the crap from the good ones, or they wouldn't need the books to start with.

Nerissa on
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I can't remember the exact George Carlin quote, but it's something like: "Fuck self-help books. You're getting a book written by someone else. Fuck self-help, that's help."

Taximes on
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    "Always spell-check your posters before you order 15,000 of them to be printed."

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    edited May 2008

But I do think that the majority of self-help books are crap, and it's kind of hard for the regular consumer to tell the crap from the good stuff.

Yeah, the more specific, the better, in general. I know a lot of them are absolute crap, and I held the opinion that it was a worthless genre basically until I took a class dedicated to them.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    My book would be named "Everyone's fucked up so stop taking yourself so damn seriously"

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    "Pretend your life is a lot more awesome than it is."

Greeper on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I've had to read a bunch of books similar to self-help books while my wife was a psych major in order to be able to understand the papers she asked me to proof read. The all share the same issue: they take a generally solid premise, such as "Simplify your life" and run it into the ground for the sake of making it fill a book.

That said, here are mine:
    Always find time for yourself -or- Commute time is "me" time
    It's great to be flexible, but bend too far and you'll snap
    Job satisfaction is less about what you do and more about who you do it with
    The people who tell you marriage and children are the ends of fun & freedom are idiots

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    My book would be named "Everyone's fucked up so stop taking yourself so damn seriously"

that's a terrible title

MikeMan on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    *The teacher never sees the first punch
    *Alien devourers of souls can be adorable
    *Snowpants keep snow out, but they also keep snow in
    *3 AM is for sleeping, not for working
    *Don't get a bullshit major (or, "Lubchenko Learn Nothing! Nothing!")
    *All majors are bullshit when you enter the workforce
    *You haven't bought enough copies of this book

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Herby wrote: »
    I've had to read a bunch of books similar to self-help books while my wife was a psych major in order to be able to understand the papers she asked me to proof read. The all share the same issue: they take a generally solid premise, such as "Simplify your life" and run it into the ground for the sake of making it fill a book.

That said, here are mine:
    Always find time for yourself -or- Commute time is "me" time
    It's great to be flexible, but bend too far and you'll snap
    Job satisfaction is less about what you do and more about who you do it with
    The people who tell you marriage and children are the ends of fun & freedom are idiots

Yeah, there are definitely a lot that could stand to be a pamphlet and still get their point across. If you want some real, mind-numbing crap, read Real Love by Dr. Greg Baer.

Protip: Fucker's a dentist. And an asshole. I met with him privately for the class I mentioned earlier and talked to him about his book. He's so stupid it hurt my brain.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    The house I live in was built by a dentist, I know what you mean I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN.

(I never knew that cyclopean arcitecture or non-euclidean woodwork existed outside of Lovecraft stories until I tried to make sense of the cabinetry upstairs)

Tostitos on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Nerissa wrote: »

But I do think that the majority of self-help books are crap.

Also, the people who actually could make use of them don't have the expertise to separate the crap from the good ones, or they wouldn't need the books to start with.

Yeah.

They're good tools - under the best situation, a therapist or doctor might give one to a patient as "homework."

That said, there's nothing to stop a bad therapist from writing a bad book that other bad therapists then push on their clients. One therapist I used to work with told every single patient that they met the criteria for a "Highly Sensitive Person" and had them go out and buy the the book of the same title after the first session.

Feral on

• Options
    edited May 2008
    That highly sensitive person crap is almost as bad as every nerd on the internet thinking they have ass-burgers.

Tostitos on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Some vices miss what is right because they are deficient, others because they are excessive, in feelings or in actions, while virtue finds and chooses the mean.

^ the problem with most self-help books. Just because something's right for the author doesn't mean it's right for everybody. Some people need to be quieter; some more outgoing. Some people need to think less and feel more, some the exact opposite.

In fact, we don't really need self-help books. You can learn everything you possibly need about life just from the tech tree quotes in Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri.

Feral on

• Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

In fact, we don't really need self-help books. You can learn everything you possibly need about life just from the tech tree quotes in Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri.

That videogame was so amazing.

If you were any more right you'd have invented the airplane.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    nuclearalchemistnuclearalchemist Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    *Your friends are better at judging your significant others than you are
    *Live as close as you can to where you work
    *Peanut butter is the devil
    *Don't work in a cubicle

nuclearalchemist on
    ~Eigen-fleichen
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    MikeMan wrote: »

Can we get a quote list? :winky:

Tostitos on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    MikeMan wrote: »

Can we get a quote list? :winky:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/file/96102/7929

Some of them aren't as cool out of context from the game, but they're still cool.

Also, spoilers.

Feral on

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited May 2008
    GO INTO DA TANKS

So what are some of the good self-help books? One that I've heard good things about - although technically (and tellingly) it's not really categorized as self-help - is Deborah Tannen's You Just Don't Understand.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    PeekingDuckPeekingDuck __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    Title: Grow a Fucking Sack
    Chapter 1: Grow a Fucking Sack
    Text of Chapter 1: Seriously, grow a fucking sack.

PeekingDuck on
  • Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Title: Grow a Fucking Sack
    Chapter 1: Grow a Fucking Sack
    Text of Chapter 1: Seriously, grow a fucking sack.

A sack of bananas, apples, pears, potatoes, what!?

Mgcw on
  • Options
    PeekingDuckPeekingDuck __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    Some men are bigger than others?

PeekingDuck on
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You heard it first here, ladies. Grow a fucking sack.

Gim on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Gim wrote: »

Harden the fuck up, Australia!

Tostitos on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Gim wrote: »

Harden the fuck up, Australia!

Yesssss

TL DR on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    *Your friends are better at judging your significant others than you are
    *Live as close as you can to where you work
    *Peanut butter is the devil
    *Don't work in a cubicle

Fuck - aside from my friends liking my wife - I live about 45 minutes from working in my cubicle in which I love to eat PB&J. Does this mean I fail?

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Some men are bigger than others?

Some girls' mothers are bigger than others.

Feral on