As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Capcom vs Tatsunoko?

WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood varietyRegistered User regular
edited October 2009 in Games and Technology
http://kotaku.com/5010122/capcom-vs-legendary-anime-company
The upcoming issue of Famitsu announces an interesting 2D fighting game match-up: Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Cross Generation of Heroes. Yes, that Tatsunoko, you know, the studio behind TV anime Speed Racer, Casshern and what Westerners know as Robotech.

Ryu, Chun Li, and the iconic characters of Capcom clash with classic anime series made by Tatsunoko: Gatchaman, Speed Racer and others.

I wonder if Superbook is in this.

To see the list of stuff Tatsunoko has done, go here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatsunoko#Anime_series

Wearingglasses on

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I can't decide if this is the worst idea I've ever heard or the best idea I've ever heard.

HappylilElf on
  • UltaruneUltarune Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Marvel should ask this company to make an anime of their franchises so we can get a god damn MVSC 3.

Ultarune on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Ultarune wrote: »
    Marvel should ask this company to make an anime of their franchises so we can get a god damn MVSC 3.

oh man, an MvsC3 with high-resolution sprites would be amazing.

Daedalus on
  • gneGnegneGne Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Finally a Samurai Pizza Cats fighter!

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
  • Crack_ShotCrack_Shot Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »

Given about how long its taking to make Street Fighter 2 HD Remix, if they start working on it today, we'd see MVC3 in 2023.

Seriously, considering the glacial pace of HD Remix, a game that is essentially already made and is just being redrawn, compared to how quickly SF4 is coming together, I doubt you'll see Capcom make a serious return to 2D fighters. They can crank out a great looking 3D game in far less time.

Crack_Shot on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Crack_Shot wrote: »

Given about how long its taking to make Street Fighter 2 HD Remix, if they start working on it today, we'd see MVC3 in 2023.

Seriously, considering the glacial pace of HD Remix, a game that is essentially already made and is just being redrawn, compared to how quickly SF4 is coming together, I doubt you'll see Capcom make a serious return to 2D fighters. They can crank out a great looking 3D game in far less time.

Well, SNK seems to be producing King of Fighters XII at a bit of a faster rate; I figure that Capcom just has SFIIHD on the back burner.

Daedalus on
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

Well, SNK seems to be producing King of Fighters XII at a bit of a faster rate; I figure that Capcom just has SFIIHD on the back burner.

Not on the back burner per se the game had a total art overhaul.

bloodyroarxx on
    edited May 2008
    This would be awesome if only if we could use the American dub of Pizza Cats.

bloodyroarxx on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    God bless dubs that had nothing to do with the original script. The 80's were weird.

Couscous on
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    this is an excellent idea.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • OtsegoOtsego Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Who are they gonna put in charge of this I wonder? Didn't all of Capcom's great 2d fighter guys leave the company?

Still, this is an amazing idea.

Otsego on
    mastersword.jpg
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    Hey hey maybe you can be the emo idiot from Evangelion and cut yourself so you can feel. Special attack is a merciful suicide.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
    edited May 2008
    apotheos wrote: »
    Hey hey maybe you can be the emo idiot from Evangelion and cut yourself so you can feel. Special attack is a merciful suicide.

Seriously start with Speed Racer c.meduim to c.fierce -> qcb+k for the chimchim banana special -> Racer X assist then use Mach 5 super and cancel into whiny Shinji super for massive damage.

bloodyroarxx on
  • SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Please let this come to the states.

PLEASE.

Sagroth on
    3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I want to see some characters from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superbook

So we can have a world where Jesus is banned from tourney play for being overpowered.

-SPI- on
  • SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    -SPI- wrote: »
    I want to see some characters from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superbook
    Off-topic, but sonofabitch, I've had that lurking around the back of my mind for a good 15 years without knowing what it was, so thank you.

Anyway, I don't think we can possibly lose with this idea: it's either going to be hilariously bad or hilariously awesome given some of those shows.

Sorenson on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    First Cross-Edge, and now Cross Generation?

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=54860

Those companies are keeping themselves busy.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

hasnt SNK been working on KOFXII for years and years now? i seem to recall reading that somewhere, but google isnt coming up with anything at the moment.

edit: theyve been working on it for over three years, according to this article.

Ah_Pook on
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    They started work on KoF XII even before XI was even finished.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    apotheos wrote: »

ololololol

No, seriously, Evangelion has nothing to do with anything here.

EDIT: Wait, what? Since when did Tatsunoko have anything to do with Eva? Huh.

Anyway yeah there's zero chance of that being in here.

Furu on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Faster rate than SFIIHDR? It's taking SNK ages (which is a good thing as these hi-res sprites are a big investment for them, and for future games - best to take the time and do it properly). They started working on KOFXII once XI was done (or rather slightly before it was finished), which was back in 2005. The process they use - involving 3D models converted as bases for hand artists that redraw over the exported 3D images and then recolor and add in details like minute mannerisms/flourishes - takes artists forever to complete.

The SFIIHDR sprites are crap. They started out looking beautiful, then Capcom said fuck you to the art team that they contracted, and now they've redrawn the sprites in much lower quality with fewer details and colors. Some new SFIIHDR sprites are no more detailed than the original SFII arcade sprites.

slash000 on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    On...the SNK front for a moment...does anyone know if they'll continue the Maximum Impact line? I actually enjoyed that series.

Dragkonias on
    edited May 2008
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    On...the SNK front for a moment...does anyone know if they'll continue the Maximum Impact line? I actually enjoyed that series.

I love the series, too. I'm sure that they're going to continue the series, or else they would not have given it the honorary yearly naming scheme. My guess is that either they're devoting resources to MS6 and KOFXII while other series are on the backburner, or they're holding off on the next 3D KOF to decide which platforms it would properly be brought to.

slash000 on
    edited May 2008
    slash000 wrote: »

I love the series, too. I'm sure that they're going to continue the series, or else they would not have given it the honorary yearly naming scheme. My guess is that either they're devoting resources to MS6 and KOFXII while other series are on the backburner, or they're holding off on the next 3D KOF to decide which platforms it would properly be brought to.

I'm quite sure at one point MI3 was announced for ps3.

bloodyroarxx on
  • LordOfMeepLordOfMeep Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    This is guaranteed to never make it outside Japan.

Not because of the obscurity of some characters to average Americans, but because ADV has their hands all over Gatchaman.

LordOfMeep on
    SpaceGarSig.png
    edited May 2008

That's odd, because these games are no longer referred to as "Maximum Impact" games.

Also, SNK also announced KOF 2006 for the Xbox360, but that never showed up....

Hm.. SNK has stated before that the HD systems' cost of development and relatively low (for this point in time) install base pretty much prevents them, financially, from releasing a game on either of the two HD systems (outside of digital distro) until at least 2009 (this is their best estimation). If it really is the case that the next 3D KOF is going to the PS3, then it would be a case of, like I was saying earlier, an issue of "wait and see" before committing it to a console (as in, wait until the install bases have some time to grow, and dev costs/kits go down, and see if it becomes more economical to release a niche game on the system).

Any idea where you read that the next 3D KOF was going PS3? I'm genuinely curious. I know KOF XII should be coming out for X360/PS3 but I dunno about KOF 200#.

slash000 on
  • l_gl_g Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Nice clear scan for you folks that wasn't made by me:
    imgp1726wz9.jpg

I'm hoping Capcom pulls out some of the crazy on this, because some of Tatsunoko's stuff is ooooooooooold, so Capcom can justifiably pull out some of their ooooooooooold stuff.

My head says that it'll be completely populated by their popular characters, but I can still hope!

l_g on
    Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I would hope it's on both systems simply for the online.

But that ends my thread-hijacking.

Dragkonias on
  • TimestonesTimestones Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    l_g wrote: »
    Nice clear scan for you folks that wasn't made by me:

[Huge image goes here.]

Izzat some Mega Man Legends I see in the background of one of the stages? Because I clearly remember that "skull" emblem from those games.

Holy shit, WANT.

Timestones on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Those.

are some nice sprites.

Furu on
  • PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Who wants to take odds that they'll finally make a new Morrigan sprite for this game...and we'll never get to see it?

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Furu wrote: »
    Those.

are some nice sprites.
    From what I'm hearing, it's going to be 3D models on a 2D playing field.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    superbookimagem2.jpg

I think the most dangerous thing Gizmo ever did in the series was to shoot water, but if Pokémon has taught us anything, that should be sufficient.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
    edited May 2008

That's odd, because these games are no longer referred to as "Maximum Impact" games.

Hm.. SNK has stated before that the HD systems' cost of development and relatively low (for this point in time) install base pretty much prevents them, financially, from releasing a game on either of the two HD systems (outside of digital distro) until at least 2009 (this is their best estimation). If it really is the case that the next 3D KOF is going to the PS3, then it would be a case of, like I was saying earlier, an issue of "wait and see" before committing it to a console (as in, wait until the install bases have some time to grow, and dev costs/kits go down, and see if it becomes more economical to release a niche game on the system).

Any idea where you read that the next 3D KOF was going PS3? I'm genuinely curious. I know KOF XII should be coming out for X360/PS3 but I dunno about KOF 200#.

1up and IGN have similar articles but this was the first on google from TGS 05 before MI2 was even out 2006 is only the western title.
    Gamespot

bloodyroarxx on
    edited May 2008

1up and IGN have similar articles but this was the first on google from TGS 05 before MI2 was even out 2006 is only the western title.
    Gamespot

Weird, that article also says that MI3 is going to the 360 as well.

I think there was a miscommunication somewhere along the lines..

slash000 on
  • MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    GO SPEED RACER GOooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

speed.jpg

MyrushdownisthebestrushdownandIcanexecute900hitswithout
    liftingafingerHAHA

racerx.jpg

YesbutyouraerialraveleavesalottobedesiredSpeed
    howwillyoutakethingstotheairifyoudon'tevenhavealauncher
    mostgoodfightershaveoneofthoseyouknow

speed.jpg

RacerXwhomayormaynotbemymysterious
    longlostbrotherisrightifIwanttowinthisI'mgoingtoneedsomewings
    fortheMachFivebuthowcanIgetthemwhenPopsisinthehospitalandtheMachFive
    hasbeenSABOTAGED??

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    For the record, this isn't the first time Tatsunoko characters have been in a fighting game:

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Okay look

If I can be Tekkaman, the Space Knight, then I am so up for this

I loved that show as a small child

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • PolagoPolago Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Does the article say anywhere what kind of control scheme is being used for this game? Traditional 4-6 button with a joystick?

Polago on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    GO SPEED RACER GOooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

speed.jpg

MyrushdownisthebestrushdownandIcanexecute900hitswithout
    liftingafingerHAHA

racerx.jpg

YesbutyouraerialraveleavesalottobedesiredSpeed
    howwillyoutakethingstotheairifyoudon'tevenhavealauncher
    mostgoodfightershaveoneofthoseyouknow

speed.jpg

RacerXwhomayormaynotbemymysterious
    longlostbrotherisrightifIwanttowinthisI'mgoingtoneedsomewings
    fortheMachFivebuthowcanIgetthemwhenPopsisinthehospitalandtheMachFive
    hasbeenSABOTAGED??

The inbetweeners will be totally epic in this.

Not to mention Generator Gawl and Casshern? Fuck yeaah.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!