As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Thanks!

alexviritalalexvirital Registered User new member
edited May 2008 in Penny Arcade Games
I just read through the Joystiq interview and I've been playing the game for the better part of two hours now (though one of those hours was dedicated to creating my character. I may restart the game because I am still not quite set on the eyes) and I just wanted to say thanks. This game is hilarious, it's brilliant, it is exactly what I had expected from a PA game and I cannot wait to alt-tab back to it and keep going. Any of us who have watched you guys struggle through the creative process for this game have seen the incredible amount of work that it's taken; from the bottom of this jaded gamer's heart, thank you. This game is fantastic.

alexvirital on

• Options
    KortanisKortanis Registered User new member
    edited May 2008
    I wanted to express my appreciation for this game as well. I actually went into it with high hopes but only moderate expectations. It's not that I didn't think it could be good, but I didn't know how well it would actually deliver. We've all seen so many awesome ideas end up at the bottom of the heap. Thanks for showing me that I was wrong. I expected to run well, perhaps see a few graphical glitches, and have a moderately interesting story. Instead I was greeted with a chilling intro, killer character selection, and hilarious tidbits all through the first 2 hours. I have to wait to get further (damn you money, damn you job), but I am seriously considering going home sick to keep playing it. In fact my sinuses have been feeling weird all morning and now I have to contemplate whether its a real cold or that I am conjuring it up...

Thanks to everyone at Hothead, the PA crew, the fans who gave input, and especially Gabe and Tycho. Give yourself a pat on the back and spend my $20 bucks wisely! :)

Of note, I purchased it for PC and am running it on a Q6600 quad core & 8800GTS@1680x1050, I couldn't be happier with this game.

Kortanis on
  • Options
    BitterbunnyBitterbunny Registered User new member
    edited May 2008
    I had the opportunity to visit Hothead in December to play the game. I went in hopeful, and left very impressed. I have been eagerly waiting for this day so I can buy it and play through it again, as well as use my experience with the game to encourage others to buy it too.

Bitterbunny on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I just want to say holy shit wow. This game is incredible.

As a rule I do not like RPGs. I find navigating menus boring and not at all engaging. I bought this game anyway, assuming that I'd just have to slosh through the boring gameplay to experience the comedy (which, by the way, is absolutely top-notch. I've been laughing myself silly). What I've found, though, is that the combat is an absolute joy. It takes elements from RPGs that I actually like (Super Mario RPG, Earthbound) and mixes 'em together, making the game really fast-paced demanding. My cursor's constantly popping through the menus as my eyes dart back and forth between them and the screen, every once in a while pulling the trigger to block. The whole thing is just really fun.

I'm going to be buying the next three episodes for certain, and whatever games hopefully follow after them.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    wardredwardred Registered User new member
    edited May 2008
    I just bought the game and downloaded it. Installed it and everything. I refuse to play it yet. I just recently moved and have been using my headset rather than hooking up my sub woofer and speakers. The time has come, friends. I will play the game tonight, and I will do so with sound that is more than merely adequate!

wardred on
  • Options
    DancerDancer Registered User new member
    edited May 2008
    Awesome fun and a great laugh to play, glad you guys put the time and effort into giving us all such a cool and shiny toy to play with :D

Dancer on
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, hothead really stepped up to the plate on this one. Well, with a game engine finished, I hope the task of cranking out further episodes seems less of a chore. I also hope the release was to everyone's satisfaction.

Meiz on
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I just sent Gabe an Email pretty much just saying Thank You too. I don't know what it was, but seeing Gabe and Tycho running after the Fruit Fucker Prime after he smashed my house just gave me such a happy feeling. It was like seeing them past the comic and what they do in their off time.

Also, I love the animated sequences that take place in a comic panel. Just a real nice touch. I can't wait to dive into this bad boy tonight!

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    wellingtonwellington Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Just finished: it's charming, bitingly satirical, fun, and leagues above the trash that comes out of the big studios.

Thanks Penny Arcade, thanks Hothead!

wellington on
  • Options
    MarteenMarteen Registered User new member
    edited May 2008
    Just finished the game got all the robot parts and it was great! I had a fun time solving the puzzles and killing hobos. I hope that the next game has harder puzzles to figure out, actually I guess there really weren't any puzzles just vague directions. I would say I'd like the mini-games to be a bit smoother, they felt unfinished on the Xbox version. Second I'd like to point out that the end credit song was awesome.

Marteen on
  • Options
    Jolly McFatsJolly McFats Registered User new member
    edited May 2008
    I wanted to chime in appreciating this as well.

I just recently got a mac, and was pleased to see that there was a version of the game for it. It ran well, and was addictive enough that I ditched work early and finished it up :lol:

RSPoD was an extremely tight game. It was a simple game engine that used mechanics I recognized, and it told a hilarious story. I enjoyed the implementation of the turn-based system too, having a different mini game for each character was a nice touch, especially given the way that Gabe and Tycho's referenced their personalities. I was able to run the entire thing without ever being lost, bored, or frustrated by bugs.

I think you will be flooded with posts by people that put you on a pedestal, and expected nothing less than another Mass Effect or Gears of War. I know you are self-funded, and expected a great game based on a more limited and conventional engine. That's exactly what I got, and now I am eagerly awaiting the next episode!

Jolly McFats on
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The first time I killed a clown I laughed my ass off at the death animation.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I really appreciate the way the devs are here on the forums, and not just some customer service dudes, but the guys who run the fucking company. That is some dedication right there.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    ConsumioConsumio Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hi, I rarely post here.

I'm currently an arts and technology student studying in gaming, art, and writing, so I could go on for a while here, but instead...

To Gabe, Tycho, and HotHead Games:
    The combat hits the spot, the story is compelling, the art work and humor works in a great blend. This is a refreshingly simple and fun game. Games today try to do so much and their own egos get in the way of their purpose.

Thanks for making this game Gabe and Tycho, and bravo HotHead. I look forward to Episode 2.

Consumio on