As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'm Looking for a Projector

KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
I'm wanting to set up a projector in my basement for TV/Movie watching. What sorts of things should I be looking for? Is there any brand that I can get a particularly good deal on? I'm mostly looking around eBay for a good bargain, as I would like to avoid spending money. Can I get a projector with a coaxial cable hookup, or do I need to get an intermediary device to watch cable TV on my projector?

mrsatansig.png
KrunkMcGrunk on

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You'll need to get some kind of receiver, or dvd player with audio inputs at least, because you'll need to separate out the video and audio signals. Just feeding the coax directly into the projector won't let you do that.

I've got one of these which I got off of woot, and one of these which newegg apparently doesn't carry any more. I've been pretty satisfied with both.

Also, if you're looking around on ebay, keep in mind that one of the biggest costs with a projector is the lamp, which wears out and has to be replaced. The lamp in mine is rated for 3000 hours, and costs about $300 to replace, if I remember correctly. Just know that a very well used one may have some hidden costs in the bulb replacement.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm wanting to set up a projector in my basement for TV/Movie watching. What sorts of things should I be looking for? Is there any brand that I can get a particularly good deal on? I'm mostly looking around eBay for a good bargain, as I would like to avoid spending money. Can I get a projector with a coaxial cable hookup, or do I need to get an intermediary device to watch cable TV on my projector?

You're going to need a go-between, especially if you want to do HD. There are some projectors out there that have cable tuners built in but I wouldn't recommend them.

At work, we use Sharp, Epson and Christie projectors. The Christies are out of your price range (tens of thousands), so I guess ignore those. The newer Sharps we have seem to last a bit longer lamp-wise compared to the Epsons. However, all of these projectors are SD -- our first HD install is this summer and I believe it's in a large auditorium, and thus will end up with a couple of Christie projectors. If you don't care about HD let me know and I'll reference specific models.

Satan. on