As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wii homebrew channel

postenlpostenl Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Games and Technology
So I just saw this link posted over at reddit. http://hbc.hackmii.com/
The Homebrew Channel is a channel for launching Wii homebrew applications without the need to run the Twilight Hack first. It will list apps stored and organised on an SD card in a nice little GUI, which you can very easily customise with descriptions and shiny little .png icons all by yourself if you want. You can also launch homebrew apps via TCP (with a correctly configured PC) or USB Gecko. Both of those built in options make it extremely convenient for testing out new code, as well as a general purpose homebrew launcher. You've seen the video,
now try it yourself!

Has anyone tried this out yet? Is it legit? I want to try it but I am unable to download the TP hack savegame (which is apparently needed for the initial install) from the link on their site, wiibrew.org seems to be down at the moment. Anyone have an alternate link?

Apparently this is still in beta, but this is the first public beta version and was released yesterday as far as I can tell.

Wii Code: 2868 1567 5951 7748
postenl on

• Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'd stick with running homebrew directly from Twilight Hack and not from a custom channel: when IOS37 hits it's going to fuck up custom channels pretty bad.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    What's IOS37?

RockinX on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    RockinX wrote: »
    What's IOS37?

The Wii firmware version that will break Freeloader, Trucha Signer, and homebrew channels. Twilight Hack will be unaffected.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »
    What's IOS37?

The Wii firmware version that will break Freeloader, Trucha Signer, and homebrew channels. Twilight Hack will be unaffected.

Which is what this Homebrew channel uses. It's not going anywhere.

Glenn565 on
    3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    # What about IOS37?

# Our testing concludes that IOS37 is safe to use with the homebrew channel. Worst case it just may not work. When IOS37 comes into effect, we'll deal with the issues if there are any.

Can't quite see how they'd test something they know nothing about mind.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    # What about IOS37?

# Our testing concludes that IOS37 is safe to use with the homebrew channel. Worst case it just may not work. When IOS37 comes into effect, we'll deal with the issues if there are any.

Can't quite see how they'd test something they know nothing about mind.

The code for IOS37 was inside one of the recent Wii updates; it just wasn't turned on. That's how we know about it.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Glenn565 wrote: »
    Daedalus wrote: »
    What's IOS37?

Which is what this Homebrew channel uses. It's not going anywhere.

The channel uses TwH to install but I was under the impression that it used Trucha's hack to get a valid signature so it could be run right from the Wii menu rather than from Zelda. But I could be out of date on this; my Wii is a couple hundred miles from where I'm staying over the summer.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Nice, I just started trying out homebrew on my Wii but the hastle of trying to figure out directory problems, and renaming things stopped me from really exploring it, this could be just what I need.

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • Options
    SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Runnin some of the homebrew myself. Hopefully we'll see a scene pop up that was as interesting as DS's homebrew community. I mean the games made by the community, not the exploits to run already created ones.
    Quick reminder, Yar be treading on choppy waters. Be careful what you say.

Smashism on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I was gonna try out Homebrew stuff on the Wii, but a lack of interesting software + having to deal with the set up procedure made me realize it ain't worth it.

Same with the DS. No point in spending $50 on a flash card when there's nothing worthwhile playing.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I was gonna try out Homebrew stuff on the Wii, but a lack of interesting software + having to deal with the set up procedure made me realize it ain't worth it.

Same with the DS. No point in spending $50 on a flash card when there's nothing worthwhile playing.

Lies, the ds has plenty of interesting homebrew. Nothing that will be the next Halo, but there are some great time wasters there.
    The Twilight Princess Exploit hasn't been around for too long, so no scene has popped up yet. Give it time.

Smashism on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    Lets use this thread as I've already posted in it and flagged it with the super secret mod mark that means "watch this thread for tomfoolery"

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=59097

(Tomfools be warned)

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
This discussion has been closed.