As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Can this prebuilt be upgraded?

DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
Hello all.
I have this computer here: HP a1540n

I've upgraded its video card in the past to play games (I've got an ATI Radeon X1600 512mb), and now that I have a 20" widescreen and Age of Conan, I think it's time to upgrade it some more.

Obviously, the first step is to install a new video card, which is what I'm going to do today, but I was wondering if it's possible to change the processor for a stronger one at all. If it is, is it simple? Do I have to worry about compatibility issues?
Or would I need to change the entire mobo (in which case I'd be better off just buying a new PC)?
I'd really like it if I could postpone the purchase of an entire machine until after Fallout 3 comes out (so that I get what's best then).
Thanks in advance.

EDIT: A friend of mine looked at the specs and told me it'd be possible as long as I get a processor with a 939 socket. What's your thoughts? Can I upgrade it for cheap, if at all? And if I can, what do you reccomend?

Djiem on

• Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    Uh, a quick search on Newegg seems to show 939's are dying out, and the only available 939 CPU is actually weaker than what you currently have in there.

If you don't want to replace the mobo yet, I think throwing some more RAM in there is your only option for upgrade at this point.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'd honestly just concentrate on getting a decent graphics card in there. You'll see a massive improvement if you stick an 8800GT in there.

Rook on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, just went out and got the videocard. Thanks for the replies.
    I did a little search myself and couldn't find any stronger 939 chips, which is why I asked here.

I guess I'll just hold out until October then buy a new PC then.

Djiem on