As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Getting a car into canada

alcoholic_engineeralcoholic_engineer Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So a couple weeks ago I posted a few questions to help me sort out an appropriate car choice. I figured it all out, but from looking at car prices I think getting one from the states will save me $$$$$.

I found a car I want, I even have someone who checked it out for me.

Does anyone here have any information on importing a car? It is hard to get any meaningful information from the border people, and the dealership makes it sound too easy.

A little background is that it is a year old subaru with 18000mi or so.

I got a couple weeks before I am able to fly down and take care of it in person, but I do know it would suck to get it to the border then have a bitch of a time getting it across.

tldr: tips to get a used car into canada

thanks for any suggestions

alcoholic_engineer on

• EvylEvyl Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Are you buying an STI? I imported one back in October, it wasn't too difficult, and the car is fucking amazing.

Anyways, Start at http://riv.ca. They have a list of vehicles allowed into Canada. Make sure your vehicle is on that list, cuz if it isn't, you aren't importing it.

If you are allowed to import it (and if it's a 2007 Subaru you will be able to without any mods), your next step is to buy it. After buying, get insurance for it so that you can get transit permits for both the US and Canada (and get the transit permits).

Next, fax the required documents (I can't remember which ones, but the border agency/riv/dealership will know - especially if you're buying from Carter Subaru in Seattle. Joe Spitz knows his shit) to whichever border crossing you'll be bringing it through at least 3 days before you are importing it. Also follow up with an email 24 hours after faxing to make sure they got the info. Basically get them these documents asap. You must pay the Duty & GST at the border, so make sure you've got some coins in the bank for that.

Once you have it home, get a federal inspection, then a provincial (unless it's new and/or you have the statement of origin for it).

Then get it licensed and enjoy (except gas prices - those aren't enjoyable).

I saved almost $20,000 when I imported mine, definitely recommend doing it.

Evyl on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I sold my old broken El Camino to a Canadian while I lived in Connecticut. He came down, put it on a trailer, I have him a bill of sale that was notorized, and he drove it home.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!