As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dude ripped me off on eBay

contrabandcontraband Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Bought an album online about a month or so ago, payed via PayPal, he never shipped it, and since then his comment box has been filling up with negatives. Scam. What steps can I take now? Is PayPal/eBay merciful in reimbursing its customers?

sigxw0.jpg
contraband on

• Options
    AnimeleeAnimelee Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You have sixty days to file a dispute on PayPal, so go ahead and do so.

If he doesn't reply to your dispute after a day or two, then escalate it to a claim, and let PayPal/eBay deal with the rest. Chances are they'll notice his pile up of recent negatives and disputes/claims, and give you your money back, don't worry.

Just do it now, in case it's close to sixty days already.

Don't forget to put as many details as you can into the box where it asks you to tell your side of the story. Be as detailed as possible.

Animelee on
    universeah3.jpg
    Pokeymanz: 4081 1995 6825 (If you add me, let me know! :D)
  • Options
    contrabandcontraband Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    FUCK okay so I'm five days past the 60-day mark. I'm going to submit something anyway. What are the chances they still honor a reimbursement?

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • Options
    AnimeleeAnimelee Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I don't know if it'll even let you file a dispute. :X

Animelee on
    universeah3.jpg
    Pokeymanz: 4081 1995 6825 (If you add me, let me know! :D)
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    you better hope you paid with a credit card and can do a chargeback with your issuer.

if not, well that's 2 lessons learned.

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    filing a dispute is only worth bothering with if the item is over $25 anyway, as that's the insurance fee that Paypal deducts from whatever they give back to you.

Getting ripped off on a $40 video game only to get $15 back eventually == not fun.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    Aoi TsukiAoi Tsuki Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    They might be merciful on such an obvious scam. Same thing happened to me - some jackass had either gotten a few good reviews to lure people in, or hijacked a good account - and I had no trouble getting my money back. ...Within 60 days. :o They might still do it, but if not, lesson learned. Sorry to hear it.

Aoi Tsuki on
  • Options
    oncelingonceling Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Animelee wrote: »

You have 45 days from the time the payment was sent actually. Then after you have filed, a further 20 from that date to escalate to a claim. That would max out at 65 days, but only if you opened the dispute the last possible day, and escalated it again the last possible day.
    Daedalus wrote: »
    filing a dispute is only worth bothering with if the item is over $25 anyway, as that's the insurance fee that Paypal deducts from whatever they give back to you.

Getting ripped off on a $40 video game only to get $15 back eventually == not fun.

This is actually untrue. PayPal disputes do not come with any insurance/fee. If your item was $1.00 and you use the dispute console, and win, you get back $1.00.

There is a $25 fee TO THE SELLER, when the buyer files a chargeback with the credit card company. This has NOTHING to do with the PayPal dispute process, its completely different. However, the buyers account may "wear" this fee in some situations (I believe, not 100% sure), such as if the seller has no funds/funding sources in their account. If the seller ever wants to reactivate their account/use it again, they will have to pay this fee to clear it from the buyer.

There are sellers with reduced protection, some have $200, some $2000. You can check into this before bidding, the PayPal protection is displayed for that item so you can make an informed choice.

The eBay protection program (no longer available/open) used to have a $25 fee too. That program is defunct though. Perhaps this was the confusion.

If you would like to verify any of this information:

Buyer protection program (tiered coverage / filing deadlines):

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/UserAgreement/ua/USUA-outside#pbp-policy

No fees for disputes:

https://www.paypal.com/helpcenter/main.jsp;jsessionid=L9pXDyj3DMZqs18TjGwnCDkzwpD6mbhstpRkT784XbqvPrTWppw8!-1368611499?locale=en_US&_dyncharset=UTF-8&countrycode=US&cmd=_help&serverInstance=9004&t=solutionTab&ft=searchTab&ps=solutionPanels&solutionId=10302&isSrch=Yes

Settlement fees for chargeback:

https://www.paypal.com/helpcenter/main.jsp;jsessionid=L9bVBjXn0GJfwBgBGfMNTLxm5X69zBTxcCdpv5JsvMyJLKJc9J7P!-543855949?t=solutionTab&ft=homeTab&ps=&solutionId=12072&locale=en_US&_dyncharset=UTF-8&countrycode=US&cmd=_help&serverInstance=9003

onceling on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm glad this thread showed up, I just got fucked on my fucking first purchase from Ebay - guy says his tracking data says it showed up, it never did.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Ebay can be a crazy place. I haven't had much trouble, but you really have to be careful. The best thing you can do is find someone that has what you want and has a truckload of positive feedback. That's about the best way to keep yourself safe from scams.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I'm glad this thread showed up, I just got fucked on my fucking first purchase from Ebay - guy says his tracking data says it showed up, it never did.

PayPal disputes will review the tracking number the seller provides. If it shows that it showed up to the right address, you may be in trouble. Have you logged into the shipping site (whatever company it is) and reviewed the tracking ID yourself?

onceling on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    onceling wrote: »
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

PayPal disputes will review the tracking number the seller provides. If it shows that it showed up to the right address, you may be in trouble. Have you logged into the shipping site (whatever company it is) and reviewed the tracking ID yourself?

I just requested the tracking ID from him a few days ago and have received no response. He sent it to the address I've used for eBay before (my parent's house) and my parents say it hasn't shown up yet.

I hope it's a misunderstanding because the guy's feedback was pretty solid and the poster looked neat, but who knows. I just sent him another e-mail telling him that my parents had not received the item and that if I didn't hear back from him by the end of next week I was going to file a dispute.

EDIT: This was my first eBay attempt and I'm hoping this doesn't end with me getting screwed. It was only 25 bucks, but it's going to leave a sour taste in my mouth for future Ebay transactions.

MegaMan001 on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I've been using Ebay to purchase random shit for years, and I've very rarely had problems (and even then the problems have been on the order of "I don't agree with the sellers concept of "good condition" and things like that). Never been scammed.

Don't let one negative experience turn you off completely, the vast majority of Ebay sellers are honest.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    If there's no tracking on it, you'll be fine with PayPal if the worst case happens (I just want to make sure you see the tracking info before you file with PayPal because if they see it as arrived they will close it before you can do anything).

If there is tracking, and it shows delivered, well, maybe it's actually the postal company screwing you rather than the seller. Unfortunate for the first transaction but people getting their mail stolen is probably about as common as fraud on eBay.

Also, this is a long shot and sounds stupid, but sometimes mail guys will have a neighbour sign for the package or take it in for you, its cheaper to deliver just the once, anything to not have to come back. Worth a thought. You did the right thing to check the feedback. Most fraudsters don't make a business selling posters and not mailing them, so ... yeah I hope this works out.

onceling on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

You have 45 days from the time the payment was sent actually. Then after you have filed, a further 20 from that date to escalate to a claim. That would max out at 65 days, but only if you opened the dispute the last possible day, and escalated it again the last possible day.

This is actually untrue. PayPal disputes do not come with any insurance/fee. If your item was $1.00 and you use the dispute console, and win, you get back $1.00.

There is a $25 fee TO THE SELLER, when the buyer files a chargeback with the credit card company. This has NOTHING to do with the PayPal dispute process, its completely different. However, the buyers account may "wear" this fee in some situations (I believe, not 100% sure), such as if the seller has no funds/funding sources in their account. If the seller ever wants to reactivate their account/use it again, they will have to pay this fee to clear it from the buyer.

Except in reality, outside of PayPal's PR crap, the buyer always has to take the $25 fee, because the seller always cleans out his account before scamming people and never tries to use the service again with the same bank account/credit card information.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Except in reality, outside of PayPal's PR crap, the buyer always has to take the $25 fee, because the seller always cleans out his account before scamming people and never tries to use the service again with the same bank account/credit card information.

I'd be calling up PayPal if they tried shit like that with me. They shouldn't be doing that, and they probably won't if you complain up a storm. Maybe they will though, I dunno.

Crashtard on

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Crashtard wrote: »

I'd be calling up PayPal if they tried shit like that with me. They shouldn't be doing that, and they probably won't if you complain up a storm. Maybe they will though, I dunno.

It's hard to get mad at PayPal, though, because PayPal didn't scam you, some ebay guy did and PayPal's just a money moving service. In the long run I didn't feel like spending hours yelling at some poor shmuck in a call center to get my $25 back.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    You shouldn't need to use the chargeback very often, if the seller ships you a brick or something and gets a tracking number on it, you use the "item not as described" process (no fee). If the seller never sends anything, they can't prove tracking, so you get money back on "item not received" dispute (no fee).

But you're absolutely right, professional scammers - where you wait too long and expire your 45 day wait, may leave you with a $25 fee if you choose to go through the chargeback process with your CC company.

You'll note that eBay / PayPal have started holding funds in suspicious accounts so this "clean out" can't occur, but nobody will catch everything.

Still, I agree with you, nothing is 100% perfect in the world, there are always ways to get scammed if you are unlucky.

onceling on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    jeepguy wrote: »
    I've been using Ebay to purchase random shit for years, and I've very rarely had problems (and even then the problems have been on the order of "I don't agree with the sellers concept of "good condition" and things like that). Never been scammed.

Don't let one negative experience turn you off completely, the vast majority of Ebay sellers are honest.

You just wouldn't think some guy would need to fucking scam 24.95 (with shipping) off of a guy who just wanted a Resident Evil 4 poster for his living room.

MegaMan001 on
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I had fun with a would-be scammer a few months back.

He had an auction for some MS Point cards that seemed too good to be true, and it was. I paid with Paypal, waited about a week, and then started the "Where's my codes?" emails. In the few days that followed, I got a few emails from other buyers warning me about this guy, and then I got some codes from him that were already used. He said I was dumb and didn't know how to enter codes right (insults are almost always the sign of a scammer). So rather than file a dispute with Paypal, I did some digging and found out all kinds of information about this guy (thanks, Google!). I found his name, address, phone number, how old he was, his parents' names, and tons of random info from forum accounts and blogs and what not. So I let him know that if he didn't rectify, I would call his local police department and his parents, and let them all know he was comitting wire fraud across state lines to a military member. Hey, that's a felony, right?

Yeah, he went from asshole to very nice guy in almost no time at all, and I got what I paid for.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Does that mean you didn't call the police? O_o

Impersonator on
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Does that mean you didn't call the police? O_o

It was never my intention. I just wanted to give him a little scare, and get what I paid for. I'm pretty sure he'll never try to scam anyone again.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Crashtard wrote: »

It's hard to get mad at PayPal, though, because PayPal didn't scam you, some ebay guy did and PayPal's just a money moving service. In the long run I didn't feel like spending hours yelling at some poor shmuck in a call center to get my $25 back.

Not really, considering they're punishing you because they can't get money from the seller.

Crashtard on

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    fallaxdracofallaxdraco Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I had fun with a would-be scammer a few months back.

He had an auction for some MS Point cards that seemed too good to be true, and it was. I paid with Paypal, waited about a week, and then started the "Where's my codes?" emails. In the few days that followed, I got a few emails from other buyers warning me about this guy, and then I got some codes from him that were already used. He said I was dumb and didn't know how to enter codes right (insults are almost always the sign of a scammer). So rather than file a dispute with Paypal, I did some digging and found out all kinds of information about this guy (thanks, Google!). I found his name, address, phone number, how old he was, his parents' names, and tons of random info from forum accounts and blogs and what not. So I let him know that if he didn't rectify, I would call his local police department and his parents, and let them all know he was comitting wire fraud across state lines to a military member. Hey, that's a felony, right?

Yeah, he went from asshole to very nice guy in almost no time at all, and I got what I paid for.

THIS. The police almost NEVER do ANYTHING about theft, even if it is pretty major. They just don't have the resources to investigate or follow up on leads for anything other than major crime, and theft and scams apparently don't qualify, most of the time.

So, if you want your stuff back, you had better get it yourself, if you can.

fallaxdraco on