As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I have a bad tooth, no insurance, and a barely positive net worth!

TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So a few weeks ago my upper right molar started aching when I put pressure on it(such as chewing and stuff). It doesn't hurt when I'm not fucking with it. I assumed it was a cavity and went to the dentist this morning to get it diagnosed.

Turns out, it's badly decayed and the only way I can save it is with root canal. Guess I should have flossed better.

My options:
Yank it; it'll cost me 171 dollars. It's a pretty prominent tooth. It'll be visibly missing if I give a big pearly smile which is sort of what I'm supposed to do at my job and I fear it could fuck with my tips if people were being served by Tarranon the toothless server. And also I just really don't want to be missing a tooth. Maybe it's just stupid pride but the very idea pales me.

So, the other option

Root canal and crowning. It'll be two visits with a total cost of 1700 dollars.

Payment option; there's a credit card they offer that's interest free for up to one year. So I can pay it off in installments of around 141 dollars a month for 12 months which would I guess be doable, but if anything else happened(say my workplace suddenly closes, I break something, my car breaks down/someone wrecks into me) I'd be fucked, proper fucked, up shit creak without a paddle and blah blah blah.

The stress is very nearly paralyzing and I pretty much constantly feel like vomiting. I can't really think straight right now, which is why I'm asking you guys for I guess just some suggestions on how to deal with this shit I've brought down on my head.

You could be anywhere
On the black screen
Tarranon on

• Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I was in a similar spot a few years ago, got the root canal done, and then put off the crown. Do not do this. Yesterday I finally got both of the perm crowns that my delay required: one for the root canal'd tooth, and one for the next over that decayed due to proximity and crap getting stuck in the busted one. Oh, and the extra one was too small to do enamel, so I've got a gold tooth now.

So yeah, if you're going to do this thing, go all the way with it.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    impskitchenimpskitchen Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Get the dental work done.

I know that it's real easy for me to say that while not in your position myself but here's why I'd say to get it done. The car that breaks down, people getting into accidents, etc will always be possibilities that could happen, but might not. In my opinion, you have to handle what you actually have control over. In this situation, you can get the work done, pay for it for a year (or less if you can pay extra when you can afford to), and then be done with it. Or, you can get the tooth pulled, and deal with the grief you're going to give yourself for not having it anymore.

Just remember what you're going through now as motivation to not let it get to that point again when taking care of yourself in the future, and you'll probably be alright.

As for the lack of funding, I'd probably suggest to pick up extra shifts at work wherever possible and/or another server job somewhere else if possible to speed up the repayment process, and then start to save money for all the "what if" situations.

That's about all I've got. Hope it helps.

impskitchen on
  • Options
    wmelonwmelon Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Go to another dentist. $1700 is ridiculous for a single tooth. I had a root canal done for $300 early last year and then 6 root canals and crowns for under $6000 back in September. I've spoken with several people around here that actually have had crowns made for less than $500 each. I was willing to spend a little more because I absolutely hate going to the dentist office, so I went to someone I trust.

wmelon on
  • Options
    zhen_roguezhen_rogue Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Look for an endodontist in your area, not a general dentist.
    All endodontists do are root canals, and they are very good at it.
    Furthermore, they will likely charge less, since the procedure isn't considered a 'specialty' to them - as it is to a general dentist.

Look for local endodontists, call them up, ask about payment plan options and overall costs.

zhen_rogue on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    wmelon wrote: »
    Go to another dentist. $1700 is ridiculous for a single tooth. I had a root canal done for $300 early last year and then 6 root canals and crowns for under $6000 back in September. I've spoken with several people around here that actually have had crowns made for less than $500 each. I was willing to spend a little more because I absolutely hate going to the dentist office, so I went to someone I trust.

Are those prices with or without insurance?

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    wmelonwmelon Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    the first one was insurance and my deductible. the second one was purely out of my pocket. My dental coverage blows

wmelon on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    If you are paying for the whole thing (no insurance) it should not be costing you that much. Find a cheaper dentist.

Also, I love my gold crown and wish that the Navy had let me get a second gold one on my other root canal (I have soft teeth, shut up).

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    jeepguy wrote: »
    Also, I love my gold crown and wish that the Navy had let me get a second gold one on my other root canal (I have soft teeth, shut up).

I haven't really decided if the gold tooth looks bad ass or not. It's in the back, do it doesn't really matter much anyway. My main issue was that it was something like $200 more expensive.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    jeepguy wrote: »

I haven't really decided if the gold tooth looks bad ass or not. It's in the back, do it doesn't really matter much anyway. My main issue was that it was something like $200 more expensive.

You got ripped off. My gold crown (also in the back, not super visible) was the same cost as the enamel-colored one. The enamel-colored ones still have a base of gold with the enamel part grafted onto the gold, and my dentist explained that any lower material cost from using less gold was eliminated by the extra work of crafting the enamel portion and grafting it to the gold. He recommended the gold one because gold has a more natural feel in the mouth, is less prone to irritating tissue, and rapidly changes temperature to match the rest of the mouth when drinking hot or cold beverages. A few years later when I lost the crown to a jelly-belly, the dentist who re-installed it (he was a real old full bird captain who just did crowns) said it was quality work.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Thanks for the advice guys, it's definitely taken a load off.

I'll look into each of the suggestions and let you know if anything turns up.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    NewtonNewton Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    A friend of mine was in a similar situation as you about a year or so ago, except instead of a root canal, she needed her wisdom teeth pulled. She was a bartender/student at the time with no insurance and she ended up getting the work done at a dental school. You are worked on by student dentists who are supervised by practicing dentists. Procedures take longer, but they typically charge less than a private dentist will. Here is a link to the UW Dentist School that has some information about their services. You might have similar options in your area.

Newton on
  • Options
    Monolithic_DomeMonolithic_Dome Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    My brother is doing the same thing for his wisdom tooth extraction. So far he says everyone is a real pro. He got a consult from one of the leading dentists in the state (this was at the U of M) and he's pretty confident that it should go smoothly.

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    If money is a real issue, check local colleges for a dental school. Dental schools need people to come so that the students could practice their skills, and as such their prices are MUCH lower than vetted dentists.

And you one way or another you will have to get this done, as with time the pain becomes so unbearable, the money issue will be non-existant, and you will be willing to do just about anything to make it go away.

muninn on
  • Options
    PorkChopSandwichesPorkChopSandwiches Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm going to second (or third) the dental school option. My dad is actually a professor at a dental school, and every procedure done by a student is overseen by a very qualified person. There's probably one within driving distance. If there's a medical college nearby, they probably have a dental branch.

PorkChopSandwiches on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'd say check the dental school option, too. Friend of mine got his whole mouth done (every tooth was either missing or mangled) for very cheep, and the quality is just fine. May not be an option where you are, but if it is then check it out.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    BlochWaveBlochWave Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    If it starts getting too tight, you could always pick up a second job at another restaurant, or double up on the shifts. Refill the coffers fast, you shouldn't worry about "what if I get in a wreck?!?" That could happen ANYTIME, and this tooth business would only make you slightly more screwed than if it happened in a normal situation

I know working more is crappy, but it's a crappy situation, you've gotta do crappy things for a little while to avoid it becoming disastrous situation. You have an internet connection, for example. 141 dollars a month? An extra 50 would take that sting off! Just for example, of course I would never recommend ditching the internet *hugs his connection...so very tightly* but options are there

Also, does the restaurant offer insurance? P.F. Chang's did when I worked there, as you can see it comes in handy on occasion. I don't know what the situation there is, but at Chang's you could practically work as much as you damned well please, so long as you just stopped clocking in after 40 hours (technically the managers frowned on this but don't ask don't tell, etc.) Seems to me like you're at a job where you can increase your income at the cost of probably considerable duress, but you'll sleep easier

BlochWave on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I can't really ditch the internet because I live with roommates who wouldn't be pleased if the connection shut off or if I stopped chipping in on the utilities.

Dental schools haven't been very promising so far, but I'm still looking into them.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
This discussion has been closed.