As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Guitar Hero: Fat bottomed girls (and guys) welcome

• Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Not really, no.

glithert on
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Although if anyone is interested in the game, for whatever reason, this guy has gotten hold of an early copy, much like he did with both GH3 and I believe Rock Band. Mostly guitar, but there's also some songs with expert drums using a Rock Band kit and medium guitar or bass.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Wow, I didn't realize the look of the game could get worse than GH3.

Seriously, it feels even more plastic than before. The notes are just ugly.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The drummer still looks like a marionette.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm honestly surprised as hell that the Lazy Eye chart in GHWT doesn't feature the crazy fast strumming, and Rock Band does.

EDIT: And now I'm not as surprised that they didn't actually chart out the solo anywhere near correctly. Constant single-note strumming when you can plainly hear multiple notes being picked with a definite rhythm? Yeah good thing you guys took the time to add this song to add it to your whopping two-more-than-RB2 setlist.

I'm just ashamed for the people working there at this point.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

It is a video camera taping a television reduced to YouTube resolution. I don't think that ever looks anything but ugly.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    God damnit
    They still do that lighting crap

glithert on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Santeria has a 4 note chord at the end

glithert on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    On The Road Again has a 4 note chord
    I guess they're common now

glithert on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    A trend I'm noticing is that they fixed the complaint of just doing one guitar part if there's two going on in the song.

Only problem is that they seem to have fixed it by making you do both guitars where applicable. Doing the lead and rhythm guitar in the verses of Misery Business looks like a bitch.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    glithert wrote: »
    Santeria has a 4 note chord at the end

Those "growing" chords seem.. er... I dunno what to make of them, especially considering they had a few where you were holding 3 notes and had to momentarily play one higher. That seems like it could be annoying.

I hope the reviewers are fair with this game, and don't give it a pass based entirely on the create-a-song mode.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Man fake Hayley Williams looks like a freak

Fake Zakk Wylde looks like a pissed off bear

glithert on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Monsoon has hilarious emo-hair on the singer.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    JC of DI wrote: »
    A trend I'm noticing is that they fixed the complaint of just doing one guitar part if there's two going on in the song.

Only problem is that they seem to have fixed it by making you do both guitars where applicable. Doing the lead and rhythm guitar in the verses of Misery Business looks like a bitch.

well, true...

but, but...

I want to insult it!

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Guitar battles seem confusing
    It looks like pro face off but he never misses? I think his notes count for less or something, I'm not sure.

glithert on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

I don't know, HMX was never particularly stable about this. Though they were usually better about separating them. However, Six in GH2 was two guitars charted at the same time. Sure they're both playing the same stuff, but the charts were created to approximate the sound and not the effort. It was tougher than it needed to be...

I guess it just proves that you won't satisfy everybody doing the charts in any fashion. Me? I'd at least prefer if the charting was consistent throughout the entire game.

Athenor wrote: »
    Those "growing" chords seem.. er... I dunno what to make of them, especially considering they had a few where you were holding 3 notes and had to momentarily play one higher. That seems like it could be annoying.

I hope the reviewers are fair with this game, and don't give it a pass based entirely on the create-a-song mode.

I actually like the growing chords. At least in Santeria they looked acceptable. I think it's probably a better mechanic than the hammer-on chords in RB2.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    If anybody is wondering if Neversoft still knows how to overchart check out the Zakk Wylde duel

glithert on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

well, true...

but, but...

I want to insult it!

Man that was an insult.

Rock Band does it by just letting you do one guitar for awhile, then you swap off to the other guitar for awhile, and back again. Reptilia is my most used example for this. It's a downright snoozefest in GH3 because you're just constantly doing that hook. In Rock Band you alternate between that and the chords being played.

Now it's like you'd have to do the chords in the momentary pauses in the hook. It's terrible.

Watching all these videos is just soul crushing.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I can't really tell because of the poor audio quality, but I think they censored the hell in Hotel California by changing it to heck.

Edit: Haha
    They still spam 3 note chords, just in lower amounts
    Way to go, Neversoft

glithert on
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Has anyone watched the Tool videos?

My god, it's like an acid dropper's wet dream. They don't even feature the band. It's just like a psychedelic tunnel with an eye in the center and ghosts coming out the sides. Did Tool have creative control over how the venues should be presented? Maybe this is why they haven't shown up in Rock Band.

At least they don't feature the terribly animated character models. I'm starting to think they used actual in-game footage for that terrible-looking Gamestop commercial.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    It looks like pro face off but he never misses? I think his notes count for less or something, I'm not sure.

Eh. If the meter goes all the way to one side, you lose. If you miss notes, the meter moves towards that side. It looks like an ordinary song with an AI and the crowd meter reversed (all the way to the right is a fail instead of left). I'm sure there's marginally more to it, but...

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008

If the crowd meter hits either extreme it ends early. Bosses apparently don't get multipliers though, and you still do.

EDIT: Nevermind that's not a score multiplier. It behaves differently and I can't figure it out - but there is some sort of multiplier for the crowd sway in effect that you can see in the little spheres at the ends of the meter.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    God Zakk Wylde is such an awful guitarist

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Man fake Hayley Williams looks like a freak

Fake Zakk Wylde looks like a pissed off bear

If you've ever been near him in real life, he looks like a pissed off drunken bear. In that reguard I'd consider his character design a success.
    Mr. G wrote: »
    God Zakk Wylde is such an awful guitarist

Yeah, his battle certainly doesn't blow my hair back. But there is no denying he's one of the all time masters of pinch harmonics. Hell I learned how to do them practicing a bunch of stuff off the No Rest For the Wicked album (Crazy Babies in particular has a lot of them).

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I can't really tell because of the poor audio quality, but I think they censored the hell in Hotel California by changing it to heck.
    That's clearly "hell". If you mean the "this could be heaven or this could be hell" line.

They also left in "punk ass" in Santeria. So must be about a donkey.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    David_T wrote: »
    That's clearly "hell". If you mean the "this could be heaven or this could be hell" line.

Man, I have bad ears. Or bad headphones. It sounded like heck to me.

glithert on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

I don't know, HMX was never particularly stable about this. Though they were usually better about separating them. However, Six in GH2 was two guitars charted at the same time. Sure they're both playing the same stuff, but the charts were created to approximate the sound and not the effort. It was tougher than it needed to be...

I guess it just proves that you won't satisfy everybody doing the charts in any fashion. Me? I'd at least prefer if the charting was consistent throughout the entire game.

I actually like the growing chords. At least in Santeria they looked acceptable. I think it's probably a better mechanic than the hammer-on chords in RB2.

Yeah, but either way is a concession -- On a real guitar, you set the chord and then play through them slowly. You can't exactly do this with a strum bar. So... yeah. I understand the need to figure out something, but if I have to up-strum in the middle of a power chord I'm gonna go o_O

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The "Kick Out The Jams" re-record is a horrible mess.

DAMNIT. I wanted it to be good so, so badly.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Huh. That's new. In the Freak on a Leash video, they have a part where you start off holding a red note and in the middle of it, you strum into an orange note, but you don't strum the red note again. The orange chord just gets strummed into the already going red chord.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Man, I have bad ears. Or bad headphones. It sounded like heck to me.

Well, it's a master so... How affordable is it to get Don Henley into the studio just to re-record on word?

It's crappy sound and it did sound like 'hell'.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ha, the intro to the Zakk Wylde battle is awesome. Its just like when you are about to fight Ganon in Ocarina of Time

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Further listening reveals that, yes, it is hell beyond any shadow of doubt.
    Now I have no idea why it sounded like heck the first time.

glithert on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Ahahaha the intro to Eye of The Tiger is all 3 note chords

glithert on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    The expert drums on What I've Done are... well..

I have been complaining about excessive graphical effects since 2 (although in retrospect that game is barren compared to 3 and 4), and... Oh My God, I don't think I could play a heavy bass-drum part in GH4 if I wanted to. The game seems custom built to throw off your rhythm with how it handles the bass line.

Edit: On Eye of the Tiger, the Bass/guitar parts are moving at different speeds. Does this happen in 3 or Rock Band?

Athenor on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Edit: On Eye of the Tiger, the Bass/guitar parts are moving at different speeds. Does this happen in 3 or Rock Band?

Nope.
    That's a nice touch, actually.

glithert on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Nope.

So what you are saying is that having something in your peripheral vision moving at a different rate than what you are playing to is a good thing?

Athenor on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

well, true...

but, but...

I want to insult it!

Man that was an insult.

Rock Band does it by just letting you do one guitar for awhile, then you swap off to the other guitar for awhile, and back again. Reptilia is my most used example for this. It's a downright snoozefest in GH3 because you're just constantly doing that hook. In Rock Band you alternate between that and the chords being played.

Now it's like you'd have to do the chords in the momentary pauses in the hook. It's terrible.

Watching all these videos is just soul crushing.

Oh shit, I quoted the wrong post.

This is what was intended:

It is a video camera taping a television reduced to YouTube resolution. I don't think that ever looks anything but ugly.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Nope.

So what you are saying is that having something in your peripheral vision moving at a different rate than what you are playing to is a good thing?

No, but it's absolutely great that different charts can move at different speeds. If you can set hyperspeed levels separately, that would be a huge plus for me. Also, when you're playing with different difficulties, not having all the scroll speeds go to some intermediate speed would be really nice. Playing expert with a medium scroll speed is not good times.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Nope.

What I'm saying is that having my note chart get super-ultra condensed because somebody has to play on easy is pretty annoying.
    Something isn't automatically bad just because GH does it.
    Although it usually is

glithert on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    UGH Led Zeppelin is on Guitar Hero

God dammit Activison, do you suck at everything gawd

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png