As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Building your own laptp?

turpentyineturpentyine Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Is that possible to do the same way people build desktops?

turpentyine on

• Options
    Monolithic_DomeMonolithic_Dome Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    For certain values of possible, I'd say sure. Anything's possible

You definitely won't be able to:
    -just buy the parts on newegg
    -save money
    -do it easily
    -do it without soldering

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    On a scale from 1 to 10 assembling your own desktop is a 0.5 and building your own laptop is a 10. A lot of people start with an exsisting laptop and modify it, like this. You can also build a "laptop" out of desktop parts, but it's really just a portable desktop with a built in screen/keyboard/etc. It's going to be quite a bit heavier and larger than a commercially available laptop, and it will probably cost significantly more. Can be fun to do if you have old PC shit around and you just want to do it to do it.

I would say building a desktop is like putting together a model car. It can be tricky, but with enough time and attention anyone can do it. Building a laptop is more like building an actual car. Some people can do it, but it requires a lot of special skills.

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162