As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Xbox 360 vs PS3: Battle of the DVD upscalers

TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Games and Technology
Not sure if this belongs in the tech forum or not, so if this is in the wrong section feel free to move it.

I've got a PS3 and a 360 - my PS3 is hooked up via HDMI and my 360 is hooked up via component cables. Now I've heard that the 360's DVD upscaling capabilities differ depending on the set up, and I haven't heard much about the PS3's DVD upscaling. These 2 machines are what I use as my DVD player, and I'd hate to be using something thats technically inferior. So, which system does a better job of upscaling DVDs? What should I be looking for?

TheSonicRetard on

• mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The 360 doesn't upscale over component. At all. Check the input info on your TV while watching a DVD and you'll see that it's being displayed in 480p. So you'll want to use your PS3 for sure if you don't want to bother using a different set of cables.

I've heard that the PS3's upscaling is a lot better than the 360 anyway.

mntorankusu on
  • jimenexjimenex Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The upscaling on the 360 only works if you connect it via VGA cable.

Myself, I use a modded xbox (the original one) for upscaling with XBMC. It adds a 'film grain' effect that makes regular dvds look fantastic!. For this reason I don't see myself making the jump to blu-ray anytime soon.

jimenex on
    bg.gif
  • ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    And you aren't buying Blu-ray why? Sorry, kidding, I have had better picture with the PS3 using my HDMI instead of the xbox with component.

Some titles will limit the output to 480p due to copyright crap on any player with any connection though.

Edit:Added some clarity to my upscaling limiter statement.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yup, the 360 only upscales over HDMI and VGA, so you'll want to stick with the PS3. It has a darn fine upscaler, especially over HDMI. If you go into the interface menu whilst watching a movie by pressing the select button, you can find some options that let you have some control over various aspects of the upscaler. Noise reduction, things like that.

EDIT: The PS3 may have similar upscaling restrictions due to HDCP, but you're using HDMI so you're good to go. I've never tried upscaling a DVD over component with the PS3.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • TheMorningStarTheMorningStar Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    TheMorningStar on
  • HibikiHibiki Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    does it upscale if you're using the hd player on an xbox on component?

Hibiki on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    PS3>360 HD Player>360, if memory serves.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    jimenex wrote: »
    The upscaling on the 360 only works if you connect it via VGA cable.

Myself, I use a modded xbox (the original one) for upscaling with XBMC. It adds a 'film grain' effect that makes regular dvds look fantastic!. For this reason I don't see myself making the jump to blu-ray anytime soon.

Hmm thats funny I had an Xbox software modded for XBMC and I don't remember DVDs looking all that good on it. Though to be honest I only tried it once or twice. (Used it mostly to stream movies off computer). I'd give it a shot now but for some reason it seems my xbox no longer displays in color, besides most of the movies I rent now are bluray anyway.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So... does the 360 via VGA upscale better than a PS3 over HDMI? Because I also have a VGA cable for my 360.

TheSonicRetard on
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    My gut says that the average joe probably can't tell the difference between them, except for the case where the XBox is picky about the DVD being burned with a certain option set, and if its not set the picture comes out crappy. (Happens most with self burned movies but reported to happen on certain comercial DVDs as well.)

However it seems the general internet consensus among those that own both is the ps3 is a better dvd upscaler. For example: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=989326

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The PS3 over HDMI does a marginally better job than the 360 over VGA.

But 360 over VGA still looks very nice indeed. On 32" or less, you would be hard pressed to notice any difference.

In addition, Optical out may be a factor, depending on your speakers and how you have your gear set up. My;

z5500.jpg

for example, sound damned ace over Optical out, and have no HDMI input whatsoever. I believe both consoles support Optical out, but such considerations might figure into your particular set-up.

Also, the PS3 on-screen controls are full of AIDS, while the 360's are (slightly) better.

A major factor though, is that, despite the fact it goes into "shut-up" mode while playing DVDs, the 360 is still louder than the PS3. Noticeably so.

On the other hand, you can see who comes online and get game invites/messages/voicechat etc on the 360 while watching DVDs, which again, might be something you need to consider depending on your personal gaming/movie habits.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • BrueBrue Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    On the other hand, you can see who comes online and get game invites/messages/voicechat etc on the 360 while watching DVDs, which again, might be something you need to consider depending on your personal gaming/movie habits.

Ya one of my xbox live friends name is poopbut, needless to say take a guess at who comes online whenever I have a girl over to watch a DVD.

Brue on
    edited May 2008
    Heh, I know the feeling. In that case, if I were you, I'd maybe click the "turn off notifications while playing DVD" setting, if particular names become a problem.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
    edited May 2008
    Brue wrote: »

Ya one of my xbox live friends name is poopbut, needless to say take a guess at who comes online whenever I have a girl over to watch a DVD.

out of curiosity, is it poopbut or poopbutt? because if it's the former, I hope you give him shit about misspelling his name.

TheSonicRetard on
    edited May 2008
    It isn't the former, since I too thought that was kinda... er, I dunno, so checked the tag - doesn't exist.

Yeah, I'm reduced to that level of entertainment now the missus has told me to shut the fuck up from Rock Band drums...

D:

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The PS3 is better at upscaling DVDs. It also rates higher on the HQV test. The 360's only actual advantage is that it can upscale over VGA.

Dark Shroud on
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    i've also noticed a difference with some of the newer features in recent ps3 firmware updates, like mosquito noise reduction - especially with poor transfers and older stuff

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Ashcroft wrote: »

I always thought that article was bullshit. ESPECIALLY the flag picture. I have NEVER seen my 360 do that many jaggies. I call... un-bullshot? What's the opposite of bullshot?

urahonky on
    edited May 2008
    In that article... the picture of the speedometer. Why are the thick lines all jagged, but the lines which make up the circle smooth? Shouldn't they be just as jagged?

TheSonicRetard on
    edited May 2008
    urahonky wrote: »

I always thought that article was bullshit. ESPECIALLY the flag picture. I have NEVER seen my 360 do that many jaggies. I call... un-bullshot? What's the opposite of bullshot?

It'll depend on what you're watching. The tests are just a baseline, but they're pretty damning of the 360, and that's not the only site to say so. Whereas the PS3 is pretty much universally dry-humped by videophiles everywhere for both DVDs and Blu-Rays. I know its upscaling is generally fantastic over HDMI. I've got a 360 and a PS3 too, it wouldn't even enter my head to use the 360 to watch a DVD.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Just popping in to this thread to say "Hi" and to not get overly involved.

Oh and the pictures are genuine but ONLY when using a dvd that hasn't been mastered correctly, the vast vast vast majority of retail DVDs will be fine and if you have "shonky" DVDs then 9 out of 10 of them will be fine too. There is a further article/comment that will confirm this.

Personally I prefer the PS3 interface for media playback as well but that's down to opinion.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
    edited May 2008

That article has always been full of crap.

Check how they have everything set up.

Component at 480p?

Bleurgh.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I have both on HDMI and I really can't tell the difference.

They both upscale, probably using the same code that has been known for over a decade that every device uses.

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
    edited May 2008
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

Just popping in to this thread to say "Hi" and to not get overly involved.

<3 Mr_Grinch

urahonky on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I am pretty sure I heard that the 360 was king of all upscallers
    I know you won't fall for it twice, but can't blame me for trying.

LewieP on
    edited May 2008

Component at 480p?

Bleurgh.

It's a pretty standard set of tests for a DVD player. And Component at 480p is a pretty standard non-HD set up.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    ps3 seems to be pretty high on videophiles list of upscalers.
    I haven't been able to compare because I'm stuck at 480p on the xbox360 :(
    damn old models with no hdmi.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
    edited June 2008

Component at 480p?

Bleurgh.

It's a pretty standard set of tests for a DVD player. And Component at 480p is a pretty standard non-HD set up.

Well it's good job simply using a VGA cable turns the 360 into an excellent upscaling DVD player then.

Besides the noise of course.

But hey, if those are the measures we are using to judge performance;

The PS3 is a terrible DVD player too!

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=133

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Component at 480p?

Bleurgh.

Well it's good job simply using a VGA cable turns the 360 into an excellent upscaling DVD player then.

Besides the noise of course.

But hey, if those are the measures we are using to judge performance;

The PS3 is a terrible DVD player too!

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=133

He heh. :D Talk about "out-dated:" The PS3 had no software PS2/DVD upscaling back then.

CZroe on
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, the firmware updates really made the PS3 a great DVD player. But oh god it's the PS3 quick find a way to say something negative the penny arcades might explode.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, the firmware updates really made the PS3 a great DVD player. But oh god it's the PS3 quick find a way to say something negative the penny arcades might explode.

PS3? More like P$3 mirite?

TheSonicRetard on
  • Durandal InfinityDurandal Infinity Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah as an upscaling DVD player I wont think you'll notice much if any different, basically whatever is easier to use and setup. Not everyone likes the color tone of the VGA cable on their TV so having to swap out cables could be annoying. On the other-hand the 360 does have a designated scaler chip which the PS3 does not.

All in All, Id say whatever you either have a remote for. OR whatever has an interface conducive to watching video

Durandal Infinity on
    edited June 2008

OH I GET IT! Because you said something good about the PS3, that means that GnT would get angry and start slinging mud. M I RITE?!

YOU GUYS ARE SO FUNNI!

urahonky on
    edited June 2008

OH I GET IT! Because you said something good about the PS3, that means that GnT would get angry and start slinging mud. M I RITE?!

YOU GUYS ARE SO FUNNI!

YOU GET IT!

TheSonicRetard on
    edited June 2008

YOU GUYS ARE SO FUNNI!

YOU GET IT!

WHAT I WIN!?

AH... PS3 upscales better than the 360 and etc...

urahonky on
  • Durandal InfinityDurandal Infinity Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Since I cant edit posts.

I just took a look at my 360 and realized something. For the love of god dont overheat the baby, Id use the PS3.

Durandal Infinity on
  • Shooter McgavinShooter Mcgavin Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, I don't waste my precious X360 time on DVD's. That's just asking for trouble.

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif