As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Birthday Comic Art

DSilDSil Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Artist's Corner
Birthday card for a buddy of mine. It's the first cartoon-style art I've done in a while, and I would really appreciate some crits.
Birthday_Dragon_by_DSil.jpg

DSil on

• beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    you should probably not make a new thread for this, just put it in your pa fanart one.

beavotron on
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited May 2008
    It's fine this time.

The guy's right arm seems wonky to me. The way that it's positioned and the angle of the sword make it look awkward.

Grifter on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Not that I have this on my mind.... but.... wow that's a huge crotch!

MagicToaster on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Grifter wrote: »
    It's fine this time.

The guy's right arm seems wonky to me. The way that it's positioned and the angle of the sword make it look awkward.

I think that can be fixed pretty easily by the forearm overlapping the bicep instead of vice-versa.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • DSilDSil Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    beavotron wrote: »
    you should probably not make a new thread for this, just put it in your pa fanart one.

But.... it's not PA fanart. o_O I had intended that thread to be for other people to post PA art as well, and this is just a personal work. Sorry, I'm still new to the forum. Is it common practice for artists to only post their stuff in one thread?
    Not that I have this on my mind.... but.... wow that's a huge crotch!

Yes, well... I thought it fit with the style of hyper-masculine exaggeration in the piece.

...and that is all.
    Grifter wrote: »

I think that can be fixed pretty easily by the forearm overlapping the bicep instead of vice-versa.

I agree that there's something wonky, but I'm not sure that's it. I quickly sketched it each way, and compared it with actual arms. I dunno, what do you think? Thanks for the feedback guys!

arms.jpg

DSil on
  • The LittleMan In The BoatThe LittleMan In The Boat Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I think the problem is that it looks like you took someones legs then someone else body and then someone else arms and threw them all together. Just doesn't look like they all came from the same person is all. I feel the sword is a bit bent looking as well, but that could just be blown off as it being cartoony.

I would pick a stronger light source as well. You look like you got a few out there but not one that really sets the mood of the picture. No sharp darks to lights. I think it's called tone or contrast. I'm not really good at this, but that's my two cents!

The LittleMan In The Boat on
    yerf.jpg
    I don't suffer from Insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
  • DSilDSil Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I think the problem is that it looks like you took someones legs then someone else body and then someone else arms and threw them all together. Just doesn't look like they all came from the same person is all. I feel the sword is a bit bent looking as well, but that could just be blown off as it being cartoony.

I would pick a stronger light source as well. You look like you got a few out there but not one that really sets the mood of the picture. No sharp darks to lights. I think it's called tone or contrast. I'm not really good at this, but that's my two cents!

You make a lot of excellent points. Much thanks for the input!

DSil on