As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need a job: QUICK.

ZephonateZephonate Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Won't explain the circumstances or the hows and whys, but as of today I am unemployed, and with school coming up, ridiculous gas prices, a greedy Jewish mother axing me for money every other week, an $830 fine I won't go into detail on, Comic-Con, my $2,000 car insurance due in December, and a female friend with more-than-friends potential that lives in Vista (about a half-hour drive from me), I need a job...fast.

There are plenty of job options open to me, but the only problem is how much of a factor time is. I really don't care where I work, but I've yielded poor results from just submitting applications and waiting. So far I've applied to Jimbo's, but didn't meet their requirements. Also tried Blockbuster and Target, and no dice on both. None of my previous three jobs are options.

Does anyone have any suggestions or tips for getting a place to interview you, besides having a semi-decent application?

My timetable is about two weeks, max. If I don't have a job by then, I am royally fucked.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli's eyes. And what he saw was...himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."
--John Ajvide Lindqvist, Let the Right One In (Page 446).
Zephonate on

• Options
    SpeakeasySpeakeasy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Start cutting expenses, and look on Craigslist or any temp agency around you. Also, always follow through when you submit. I always call the next day to see if they have received my application.

Speakeasy on
    smokeco3.jpg
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Two weeks to have a job, or do you need your first paycheck in two weeks?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I know the paycheck in two weeks probably isn't an option, but I at least need the job by then. I have one last paycheck from my old job coming to me on Thursday, and depending on how much it's for, it might buy me another two weeks on top of what I already have. Here's hoping.

Zephonate on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli's eyes. And what he saw was...himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."
  • Options
    noobertnoobert Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Temp agencies.

Go now.

noobert on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    What's the $830 fine for?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »
    What's the $830 fine for?

I'd rather not say. Stupid, avoidable thing I'm not proud of.

Zephonate on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Well, if you're talking about a legal fine, like a ticket or a misdemeanor or something, you can call the courthouse and ask for a hardship extension (explain that you are recently unemployed).

Why the fuck is your car insurance costing you $2000?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Getting the thing extended is not an option. Let's just say the reason I'm paying this fine is to keep myself out of jail, and we can leave it at that.

My car insurance costs that much because I'm still a new driver (got my license at 19 like a tard). But according to my mom, since I haven't gotten in an accident since getting my license, and the fact I'm going to school might lower the rate a little bit.

Zephonate on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    2000....for one month? That doesn't add up at all unless you're driving one seriously unique car.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I assume it's $2000 for six months or a year.

In my experience, it pays to just cruise around and look for someplace with a "help wanted" sign. Usually that means they're hurting for new workers, and they'd be willing to get you on the job quick.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

In my experience, it pays to just cruise around and look for someplace with a "help wanted" sign. Usually that means they're hurting for new workers, and they'd be willing to get you on the job quick.

Good call. I'll try that tomorrow.

And yes, $2000 covers an entire year.

Zephonate on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Give up Comic Con. It's an unneeded expense (and probably a pricy one at that).

Try call centers. I heard decent things about it, and they offer tons of overtime which will allow you to make some extra cash.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    do you get a discount or free riding on the bus for being a student?

sometimes you just have to not drive

Raneados on
  • Options
    .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I just completed a "program" for drivers under 25 where you log driving trips and make self-assessments that was easy as fuck and knocked over $200 a year off my insurance. I realize not every insurance company is this nice, but it can't hurt to check all of your options for diminishing the cost (and I think the school thing is typically a "Good Student" discount, so there might an average you have to maintain).

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Zephonate wrote: »

Good call. I'll try that tomorrow.

And yes, $2000 covers an entire year.

most insurance companies allow you to pay once every 6 months, once every 3 months, or once every month. Generally you'll pay more overall, but not a whole lot more. And ~$185 is a lot less than $2000. Also, that's still too much for car insurance. Unless your recent fine you'd rather not talk about is a DWI, then it might be accurate. Or you have plenty of other tickets, etc.

Cauld on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    noobert wrote: »
    Temp agencies.

Go now.
    I agree

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    ihmmyihmmy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    temp agencies first
    check your paper and regionalhelpwanted.com then find your area
    PAPER your neighbourhood with resumes. If you put out like 20+, you'll probably get at least one call back. Even if they aren't necessarily hiring right then and there, they might need someone, they may've been planning on putting up a hiring now sign in the window on Monday, etc.
    Make sure you dress nice for dropping off your resume. Not necessarily suit, but clean dress pants and a shirt that doesn't have holes or stains, preferably a button up or a polo

ihmmy on
  • Options
    Penguin_OtakuPenguin_Otaku Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Seriously, there's no need for comic con if you're in this much of a bind, man.

Penguin_Otaku on
    sig-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Raneados wrote: »

You can't really get around Southern California without a car.

New driver or not, $2000 a year is ridiculous for someone with a clean driving record. What kind of car are you driving?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    All they need to do is consider it a "sports" car and your insurance will suck. I was test driving something I didn't even consider sporty, forget what it was, and my insurance would of been 350 per month, but with the 01 contour I have its only 90 per month full coverage.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    noobert wrote: »
    Temp agencies.

Go now.
    I agree

Thirded. Getting work quickly is what these things are for.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

New driver or not, $2000 a year is ridiculous for someone with a clean driving record. What kind of car are you driving?
    I think it's been awhile since you were a young male.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Would someone mind giving a brief rundown on what a temp agency is/does, and how I would go about getting in touch with one?

Zephonate on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    As others have said: temp agencies. I was unemployed for almost a year, went to a particular temp agency, and had a job the next day.

As for getting in touch with one, google "temp agency [city]" and put the name of your city in. Call a bunch of local agencies.

Then, prepare a good one-page resume and dress nice. If you apply for anything involving computers, they may give you some tests with MS Office or whatever.

Also, go to multiple temp agencies. Unless the first one you go to offers you a position somewhere immediately, there's no reason to rely on just one. You can have multiple agents looking for you. Most agencies have contracts with specific companies so by going to multiple agencies, you broaden the pool of potential contacts.

Also: monster.com. You could get lucky. I got a few calls. Temp agency is definitely a good idea if you need a job right away. I can't guarantee anything but unless you want to be a waiter (which is fine too, if you need the money) it's probably your best bet right now.

On that note, lots of places are always looking for wait staff. You can try that if worse comes to worse.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Would someone mind giving a brief rundown on what a temp agency is/does, and how I would go about getting in touch with one?

Well, I answered some of this in the last post.

As for what a temp agency does...often companies hire contractors. They go through an agency. Technically, your employer is the temp agency and they send you off to work at an "assignment." These assignments can last a day, a few days, a week, a month, a few months, half a year, a year, or more. And sometimes they can turn into permanent jobs...though usually temp-to-hire assignments are the longer ones...three-plus months to start with. I went perm with one job. I was initially going to temp for three months. That turned into ten months and I argued my way into permanence.

Assignments can be any class of job though data entry is a very popular one. So is accounting, coding, and administration (database and otherwise).

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    noobertnoobert Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

You are employed by the temp agency who whore you out.

They call and offer you work. My calls often went something like:
    "Hey noobert can you do the 2am to 2pm shift at *bread factory* on Saturday, Sunday and Monday?"

I'd ask about the pay rate and extras/bonuses and what I would be doing. 90% of the time the money was VERY good, the work was mind numbingly boring and quite hard physically.

Just look through your local paper. Those places charge you out at ~$30 an hour but pay you $20, they are always looking for people.

noobert on
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

I think it's been awhile since you were a young male.

I'm a 21 year old male and only pay $80 a month for insurance. Admittedly I drive a 12 year old non-sport car but $2000 is still ridiculous, thats twice what I pay.

Last Son on
  • Options
    Monolithic_DomeMonolithic_Dome Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    a greedy Jewish mother axing me for money every other week

Far be it from me to understand you relationship with your mother, but I'm going to go ahead and say it.

You are an adult. If you just lost your job, absolutely $0.00 should be going towards loans/gifts to other people, be they your mother or otherwise.

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    If you're a student and not over a certain age, you could try checking with your local government for any jobs. At least up here (granted it's a separate country) for the summer they give out grants to various government agencies to hire students (19-25 years old) for a 6-8 week term in the summer. It wouldn't be permanent if you have a similar program operating in California but it would at least be a job.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    TauntulasTauntulas Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    a greedy Jewish mother

LMAO
    i hear, that if your mother is a Jew, you are a Jew too

Tauntulas on
  • Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    All I can say is to echo the temp agency. I used one once and was actually pretty happy with the result. In Cal they might have some pretty decent jobs open.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg