As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game On] Combat Arms

RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Games and Technology
keszyu.jpg
2d2gh1e.jpg

Mmm, pretty screens

Yeah, they're alright. For a free game designed to be played at korean lan cafe's

So, what exactly is it?

I'm glad you asked. This is Combat Arms, made by NEXON, known for such incredible games as Maple Story. Wikipedia is dreadfully quiet on this, so I go straight to the horses mouth(do they have horses in korea? probably...)

Prepare to drop into an ever-changing theater of conflict, where you are in control of your gameplay-from your fully customizable character, to your lethal arsenal of weapons, to the scenario's you want to experience. Experience fierce battles online with up to 15 of your friends (and enemies) in dense jungles, frozen tundras, industrial wastelands, and more!

...Ok, that doesn't tell me much

Yeah, companies aren't great at that. Basically, this is a free to play FPS, with the usual "pay for better weapons" setup. However, there is good news: This is the "closed" beta! Which means, you can't even pay for better stuff right now, so everyone is equal. However, that also means things like friends lists and clan functionality is pretty much no complete.

Well, it sounds ok. How does it run?

Excellently. On my decent rig, I run at highest settings at around 100fps. The recommended video card is a Geforce FX5600. You can run it.

But... is it fun?

Yeah, its pretty fun. There's only four maps right now, and about half the weapons aren't available to use at the moment, but the core gameplay isn't bad. There are two modes: Team Deathmatch and Search & Destroy. Team Deathmatch is the same as it is in every game ever made, and Search & Destroy is basically counter strike mode(plant a bomb, die and wait for next round).

So, how are we going to play together?

I think what we'll do is have a regular server/channel, and just hope to find eachother there.

We will be playing on Recruit Server 1, Channel 10. If you don't see a game named Penny Arcade, make it yourself.

For now, lets just do 16 player exhibition, any map fine. We can decide later if we want to change that.

Well, sounds goo... wait a minute, isn't this a closed beta?

No, its a "closed beta". Which means you grab your key off fileplanet, download, and play. Here's some instuctions:
1. Get your Beta Key Here
2. Activate your Beta Key at combatarms.nexon.net.
3. Login to Nexon.net, if needed, to create your Nexon Passport ID.
4. Download the client from FilePlanet
5. Install and play on Now!

Man, this is the worst OP ever

This is my first Game On. Please be gentle.

I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
Raslin on

• Options
    BornToHulaBornToHula Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It's quite alright. I played a couple of rounds earlier. Tag is BornToHula, send me an invite if you see me online.

Gameplay wise, I'd say it's like a cross between Quake's frenetic pace and Counter-Strike's love of one shot kills.

It's worth some time though, quite fun if you don't mind this kind of thing.

BornToHula on
    steam_sig.png

Origin is the exact same as my Steam, in case you're needing a Support or Assault in BF3.
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    In line to download it now.

Nice of them to open the beta to all Fileplanet members, not just the paying folks.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    you can't hug your family with COMBAT ARMS

Zek on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    So do we have a server / channel?

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I'll be logging in soon, tag is raslin, I'll try to find a good server/channel combo then. I played too many hours last night before making the op, was tired :P

Raslin on

• Options
    edited May 2008
    Updated OP. Check the limed text for us playing together. I will be on later, if no one has a server up with Penny Arcade, I'll make it.

Raslin on

• Options
    FogDogFogDog Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Waiting in queue to download the client right now. Ill be playing as DjinnAndTonic once i can play.

Ive got it up and running, playing as Fandanglehof. DjinnAndTonic was too long a name

FogDog on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Is there a way to add friends or a buddy list in this game? If so lets get a list started of PA players so we can look for each other. My game name is Jezo .

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    downloading... Let's see if it'll really run on my card. My LAPTOP geforce go 6150. I don't get a good framerate in ANYTHING, even if it runs. 60 or even 30 fps is an unattainable dream.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    How does this game compare to War Rock?

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    How does this game compare to War Rock?

Yeah how good is this compared to some of those other games? I mean I've got crysis and bf2142 so i don't think i'd play this unless it was super good. (well super good by free korean game standards)

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Compared to war rock, this is about 20x better.

Personally, I didn't like either crysis or bf2142 online. So take that as you will.

The game is fun. You kill people about as fast as in a battlefield game, the maps are pretty short, but max people in a game is 16. It works pretty well.

My only complaint is how overpowered sniper rifles are. I've been averaging about a 5:1 kd using two sniper rifles and an m4a1.

Raslin on

• Options
    edited June 2008
    So far i have been enjoying it, its definitely not a replacement for CoD4 but its a good change of pace.

FogDog on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Well so far for me the game goes to a black screen after loading and doesn't do anything, and won't let me alt-tab out. Bah. Edit: It just doesn't play nice with ZoneAlarm. Fixed it.

Also, just an FYI, the game installs GameGuard. That's unfortunately common in this genre, but still worth a warning.

Ok, so now that I've spent a bit of time with it... does this use the same engine as War Rock? There are lots of similarities in the menus, server/chat interface, shop, etc. Looks pretty similar too, though I haven't played War Rock in a while.

HarshLanguage on
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    They have stopped giving out keys it seems. My friend is really interested in playing so if there is anyone that has tried the game but doesn't like it or it didn't work i am asking for your key so that my friend could play. Thanks

FogDog on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    This game is growing on me. Runs fast even at fairly high settings, guns seem accurate and feel solid. It's simple but the core game is fun. Lean and prone positions are sorely lacking. I wish there were more gameplay variety, a la War Rock. Hopefully more maps/modes are coming later. Ranking up seems pretty slow.

I still hate equipment rental schemes that don't have a perma option. So far drops from dead players have been plentiful enough that I haven't felt the need to buy anything.

HarshLanguage on
    > turn on light

• Options
    edited June 2008
    One thing I don't like about this game is how I can't just jump in and out of a match, you need to stay for the entire thing if you want credit for it.

I have noticed this is causing a lot of AFKing, people just leave there guy logged in but walk away because they have other things to do but can't quit because if they do they get penalized and get no money.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I find it's got the same feel as some of the mods for half-life 1 did way back when that scene was booming.

Also, I find this game is easy as pie. I find it abnormal if I get lower than a 5:1 KD ratio every single time. Also, sniping is extremely easy. Also running around with an assault rifle, a LMG, a sniper rifle, and a shotgun makes pwnin noobs all the much more satisfying. Also I get called a cheater almost every single round.

In game name is Jenner.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    North American, South American, Australian and New Zealand users Only

:x

Impersonator on