As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Free Antivirus

meekermeeker Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So it looks like today is the last day that AVG will be free. I have used it for years after I got sick of paying a yearly fee to Norton.

So what is the best free AV software out there now? I have heard about Avast, but that is the only one I know of.

meeker on

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Avast has never failed me.

Aldo on
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    What internet service provider do you have? A lot of them offer antivirus for free as part of their service.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    meekermeeker Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    DeShadowC wrote: »
    What internet service provider do you have? A lot of them offer antivirus for free as part of their service.

Comcast. No way in hell am I putting Comcast software on my PC...

meeker on
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Comcast offers free McAfee service. Its anti-virus, firewall, and privacy service. You can get it by going to the security option on comcast.net

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Uh, AVG is still free as far as I can tell. They just upgraded to version eight.

http://free.grisoft.com/ww.download-avg-anti-virus-free-edition

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    DeathwingDeathwing Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, AVG is still free - like Corvus said, you just have to do the major version upgrade.

Just did it on my PC and my wife's, works pretty much the same, although the interface has been candy-fied a little more as far as the skin goes.

Deathwing on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    contrabandcontraband Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    i would like to take this opportunity to recommend NOD32 by Ukranian company Eset. it's won many awards and was written in assembly!

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • Options
    DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    contraband wrote: »
    it's won many awards and was written in assembly!

Errr...I've heard good things about NOD32 as well, but the fact that it was written in assembly makes me instantly question the competence of their developers. Not to mention their sanity. Is that really true?

DrFrylock on
  • Options
    contrabandcontraband Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    DrFrylock wrote: »
    it's won many awards and was written in assembly!

Errr...I've heard good things about NOD32 as well, but the fact that it was written in assembly makes me instantly question the competence of their developers. Not to mention their sanity. Is that really true?

I brought it up because it was interesting. While it could be due to the fact that the developers didn't have the resources to program with a high-level language, it doesn't work against them. The fact that it was written in assembly means it's fast and resource efficient.
    Tight code, Fast Scans, Advanced Heuristics - Written in Assembly code, NOD32 occupies less hard disk space, uses much less memory, scans faster and is capable of finding viruses "in the wild." That's when there's no "definition file" to tell the program what to look for when searching out viruses. Heuristics "senses" when something's wrong with a file using several techniques.
    Source, comprehensive review

It's fast and efficient and wins crazy awards, from what I hear.

(it's not free though, I'm seeing. there's a 30 day trial on Eset's site.)

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • Options
    DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I brought it up because it was interesting. While it could be due to the fact that the developers didn't have the resources to program with a high-level language, it doesn't work against them. The fact that it was written in assembly means it's fast and resource efficient.

I've done some searching, and apparently they do claim that NOD32 is written primarily in assembly, and therefore it's fast and efficient. To me, it doesn't follow - yes, it may be written in assembly, and yes, it may be fast and efficient. This argument that assembly implies fast and efficient is based on the fact that old compilers weren't very good at optimizing. We're talking in like the 1980s. There was a big hullabaloo when people started writing operating systems in C, because it was believed that C could never be as efficient as hand-tuned assembly. It turns out that indeed, you can write performant operating systems in C and other high-level languages.

The difficulties with writing large programs in assembly these days are numerous. First, once an assembly program gets to a certain size (that is not very big) you begin to lose intellectual control over it. It becomes hard to understand and maintain. Witness the Geoworks vs. Windows CE situation: GeoWorks was a full graphical operating system written for 8-bit microcomputers (like Commodores and stuff). It was written completely in assembly. When writing GUIs in assembly was no longer a good idea (i.e., when powerful computers like the 80286 came out), they thought they had found a renaissance in embedded devices - things like PocketPCs, where the severe resource constraints would favor an all-assembly OS. What they found after porting their code to these pocket platforms was that Windows CE was a lot more responsive. How could this be? It turned out that Geoworks was redrawing stuff dozens of times, executing similar sections of code mulitple times, etc. It was doing this because the developers had lost intellectual control - they had lost the ability to understand and debug the program.

With modern processors, assembly coding perhaps makes even less sense. First, each new generation of processor has a smattering of new instructions that can vastly speed up certain operations. What do the NOD32 guys do when the new Core 2 processors add a few registers or a couple new SSE instructions? Do they go recode everything? Do they really do multithreaded code at the assembly level to take advantage of multicore processors? If they had written things in C, they could just recompile with ICC and pass a different flag to target the new instruction set, then look at the vectorization profile reports and rearrange things or insert some intrinsics to deal with things that aren't vectorizing.

Things are only going to get worse in the next few years, as JIT and dynamic compilers will use runtime profiling information to dynamically transform and tune code beyond what hand-tuned assembly can do.

If I had to guess, I'd say that NOD32 was faster than, oh, say, Symantec AV not because it was written in assembly, but because the NOD32 guys understand how to write efficient code (it's a shame they do it in such a stupid way, though). It helps them greatly that the Symantec developers appear to have all the coding skill of a tribe of retarded monkeys.

DrFrylock on