As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Something like a date that isn't a date.

SzerSzer Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Hello there dear PAers,
I am here to see advice about date like situations that aren't really dates. See, this girl I sort of like has a boyfriend, but I would still like to get to know her better. Obviously I can't make strong moves on her right now, so the whole candle lit dinner thing is not an option. Do you have any ideas? What has worked for you in the past. Obviously this is situational, but I would love to hear from you.

The demographic is as follows:
21 year old college student

Szer on

• Options
    DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Um, find somebody to hang out with that you don't fantasize about stealing from their boyfriend, and then hang out with them instead?

DrFrylock on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    Get to know the boyfriend too? As far as situations go, maybe lunch at most. Hang out over some coffee with some mutual friends. That sort of thing.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    MisterAlexMisterAlex Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I wouldn't recommend going after a girl with a boyfriend; you wouldn't want it done to you. Furthermore, if you just hang out with her, you'll most likely get stuck in the so-feared Friend Zone. My advice would be to not waste your time on her.

I've been through a relationship that started off with me being the other guy, and other than the obvious trust issues from such a scratchy start, she also had tremendous guilt for a few months. It's not any way to start a real relationship.

MisterAlex on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I, personally, don't think there's anything intrinsically wrong with going on a date with a girl who has a boyfriend.

But if you're going to do it, admit to yourself what you're doing. It's going to be bloody obvious to anybody else who sees it that you're trying to get romantically close to somebody who is "taken." Trying to say that it "wasn't really a date" isn't going to fool anybody - not yourself, not her, not her boyfriend, not her friends, nobody. Somebody in the situation is probably going to get pissed off, and trying to play it off like "it wasn't really a date" is just going to piss them off further. So you're uncomfortable enough with what you're doing that you feel you need to half-ass it, maybe you should take Frylock's advice above and find somebody else to devote your energy towards.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Heh... I once went on what I thought was a date with a girl who had a boyfriend. Of course I didn't know until halfway through the "date" that she did have a boyfriend. And later it turns out it actually was kind of a date.

If you want to get to know her better without it seeming like a date, your best bet is probably group things. Get some people together to go out and do whatever, and just spend some time chatting with her while you're out.

That being said, I also wouldn't really recommend trying to subvert the boyfriend.

Daenris on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited June 2008
    stop being creepy and weird and find someone who is available

Tube on
  • Options
    noobertnoobert Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    How is this different to hanging out with anyone you have recently met? just text her and ask if she wants to do something, like grab some lunch then go see indi.

noobert on
  • Options
    DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    noobert wrote: »
    How is this different to hanging out with anyone you have recently met?

The difference:

Thoughts while hanging out with a random person you just met: "Hmm, should I get Orange Flavored Chicken or try out that new Spicy Mongolian Beef? Did they raise ticket prices at the theater again? Jesus, where's my student ID?"

Thoughts of this guy while hanging out with this girl: "Hey I wonder whether she'll want to hook up with me more if I order Orange Flavored Chicken or Spicy Mongolian Beef? Do you think that 'spicy beef' says 'bold and daring?' I wonder what her boyfriend orders. The prick. I hope I have enough cash to pay for two theater tickets because it will help me ply my way into her pants. I wonder if I can get the student discount without being too obvious so I don't look poor and/or cheap."

DrFrylock on
  • Options
    panksea06panksea06 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    If after this you ever get into the situation where you have a girlfriend stolen from you, you will realize how much of a douche move this is.

Unless the boyfriend is known to you to be a terrible terribly person you really have no claim this, cause you are basically actively seeking to fuck over someone else's life to improve your own.

Also, the chances of someone giving you a legitimate ass kicking greatly increase if you do this as well.

//Not bitter about this happening a few months ago at all...

panksea06 on
    How can they expect me to have a sig when I am too lame to upload an avatar after 2 ye- oh wait...
  • Options
    k1DBLITZk1DBLITZ Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    LOL!

And +1 to DrFrylock's original post.
    DrFrylock wrote: »
    noobert wrote: »
    How is this different to hanging out with anyone you have recently met?

The difference:

Thoughts while hanging out with a random person you just met: "Hmm, should I get Orange Flavored Chicken or try out that new Spicy Mongolian Beef? Did they raise ticket prices at the theater again? Jesus, where's my student ID?"

Thoughts of this guy while hanging out with this girl: "Hey I wonder whether she'll want to hook up with me more if I order Orange Flavored Chicken or Spicy Mongolian Beef? Do you think that 'spicy beef' says 'bold and daring?' I wonder what her boyfriend orders. The prick. I hope I have enough cash to pay for two theater tickets because it will help me ply my way into her pants. I wonder if I can get the student discount without being too obvious so I don't look poor and/or cheap."

k1DBLITZ on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Daenris wrote: »
    Heh... I once went on what I thought was a date with a girl who had a boyfriend. Of course I didn't know until halfway through the "date" that she did have a boyfriend. And later it turns out it actually was kind of a date.

Getting this to stop happening is very relevant to my interests.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    DibsDibs Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Do you generally 'get to know' girls you don't want a relationship with?

Or do you think that if she leaves her boyfriend for you that you'll change her?

Poor move either way - keep it in your pants man.

Dibs on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Last weekend I was out with a big group of people, some of whom I only knew a little. This one super cute girl comes up, pulls me close, tells me she thinks I'm sexy, and kisses me. A little while and lots of flirting later, she turns to me and says, "This is my best friend Kelly, and right behind you is my boyfriend." I turn around, and sure enough he's standing right there. Pretty much immediately I felt like shit and was preparing for a fight, but he just said, "Hey man, you can have her" and went to the bathroom. But even with his blessing and her right there ready to go, I felt like a total shit for it. Plus, if she's willing to go behind his back, why wouldn't she go behind mine later?

So the moral is, don't be a douche and try to co-opt someone else's relationship. If she goes for it, you don't wanna be with her, and if she doesn't, you're just a dick for trying it at all. It's pretty much a no-win. Find someone else.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Meh. Natural selection is competitive. Simply presenting one's self is not a bad thing.

Do something fun you would ordinarily do, like a movie or a band you like, and then ask if she would like to come along. Be in your element. If she prefers your element to his, then let her switch over- naturally.

In the same line though, I'd caution you against actively trying to 'steal' her; I think somebody already said, if she jacks over some guy for you, its just a matter of time before she does the same thing to you, and it will always be something there in the back of your mind. How can you trust someone like that?

Also, expect social blowback, because it will soon be clear amongst your social circle that -you- can also not be trusted, and if you start hanging out with someone's girlfriend, the best bet would either be to make sure you are embarrassed or shit-pounded on the spot. It throws all the times you spend with other peep's SO's into question, genuinely platonic or not.

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    JigrahJigrah Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Sarcastro wrote: »
    Meh. Natural selection is competitive. Simply presenting one's self is not a bad thing.

Do something fun you would ordinarily do, like a movie or a band you like, and then ask if she would like to come along. Be in your element. If she prefers your element to his, then let her switch over- naturally.

In the same line though, I'd caution you against actively trying to 'steal' her; I think somebody already said, if she jacks over some guy for you, its just a matter of time before she does the same thing to you, and it will always be something there in the back of your mind. How can you trust someone like that?

Also, expect social blowback, because it will soon be clear amongst your social circle that -you- can also not be trusted, and if you start hanging out with someone's girlfriend, the best bet would either be to make sure you are embarrassed or shit-pounded on the spot. It throws all the times you spend with other peep's SO's into question, genuinely platonic or not.

So many of you guys are all about this don't steal another mans girl bullshit. I say its bullshit because there is no such thing as stealing a girl or blah blah whatever you want to call it.

I have known so many girls that are simply in relationships because it was easy at the time, not because theirs was anything special.

I quoted this post because its about the best I have read so far. Its about natural selection, who has chemistry and what not. If your genuinly interested in the girl and think there is potential just be yourself and see how it rolls.

If she goes for though don't let her cheat on her boy. Make it clear that you are interested in a relationship with her, not a fling.

Then she will decide who she likes more, and you will have to take her answer.

Jigrah on
  • Options
    kingmetalkingmetal Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Jigrah wrote: »
    Sarcastro wrote: »

So many of you guys are all about this don't steal another mans girl bullshit. I say its bullshit because there is no such thing as stealing a girl or blah blah whatever you want to call it.

I have known so many girls that are simply in relationships because it was easy at the time, not because theirs was anything special.

I quoted this post because its about the best I have read so far. Its about natural selection, who has chemistry and what not. If your genuinely interested in the girl and think there is potential just be yourself and see how it rolls.

If she goes for though don't let her cheat on her boy. Make it clear that you are interested in a relationship with her, not a fling.

Then she will decide who she likes more, and you will have to take her answer.

I totally agree, and besides "stealing" implies ownership. This girl has the free will to make this decision on her own. I don't see any reason for asking a girl out to dinner or lunch and just seeing where things go from there. Be honest with her if it comes up, explain how you feel. I'm not hearing that there is even necessarily a good chance that this girl will be okay with going behind her boyfriend's back.

And yeah you might get your ass handed to you by an angry boyfriend if you do manage to pull this off.

Sometimes other people are a great catalyst for realizing that the relationship you're in isn't working for you.

kingmetal on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited June 2008
    It's not a matter of ownership. Pretending you want to be a girl's friend with the eventual goal of getting in her pants is deceptive and creepy, and the addition of a boyfriend to the matter merely adds to the asshole factor. Stay out of people's relationships.

Tube on
  • Options
    4U2NV4U2NV Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It's not a matter of ownership.
    panksea06 wrote: »
    If after this you ever get into the situation where you have a girlfriend stolen from you, you will realize how much of a douche move this is.

There are a bunch of post like this. While I realize none of you really are trying to objectify (if that is how you say it) a girl, it really comes off that way.

The original poster stated that he does not plan on making any moves, because she has a boyfriend. I don't see what the issue is if he wants to get to know her better while respecting the relationship she has. As long as isn't a catalyst for the relationship ending because he is actively trying to date her I don't see what the problem is. Are you not allowed to start as friends with girls because they have a boyfriend?

I was in a similar situation before. A girl lived a few blocks away from me and she had a boyfriend. I had a chemistry class with her and one day we started to talk in class and things clicked. She invited to me study, go out to dinner, and go out on weekends. I totally respected her relationship, even though I thought at the time she was awesome. I wasn't going to be the catalyst for her relationship to be over but at the same time, if one of you told me I coulden't get to know her better because she had a boyfriend, I think your wrong.

4U2NV on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    4U2NV wrote: »
    Are you not allowed to start as friends with girls because they have a boyfriend?

He's not starting out as friends. He's doing this because he's attracted to her. He admitted such.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    edited June 2008
    Feral wrote: »
    Are you not allowed to start as friends with girls because they have a boyfriend?

He's not starting out as friends. He's doing this because he's attracted to her. He admitted such.

I still don't see a why that is such a big deal. He said he wasn't going to make a move because she had a boyfriend. Who knows, she could break up in a few weeks. Or she could stay together. Worst case scenario for him, who is attracted to her, is he ends up with a new friend. I don't understand why he can't get to know her better because she has a boyfriend.

4U2NV on
  • Options
    JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Feral wrote: »

I still don't see a why that is such a big deal. He said he wasn't going to make a move because she had a boyfriend. Who knows, she could break up in a few weeks. Or she could stay together. Worst case scenario for him, who is attracted to her, is he ends up with a new friend. I don't understand why he can't get to know her better because she has a boyfriend.
    He didn't say that. He said "obviously I can't make strong moves on her right now".
    The implication is that he is going to make subtle moves immediately and strong moves later on - as in, he is totally trying to get in her pants.

JHunz on
    bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
  • Options
    Penguin_OtakuPenguin_Otaku Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Don't do it, asshole.

Penguin_Otaku on
    sig-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Don't do it, asshole.

I don't get it some of these comments.

A girl is free to make her own decisions regarding who she is in a relationship with.

Tube has said this many times, if she is going to cheat on you she is going to cheat on you and there is nothing you can do about it.

And frankly, those aren't the kind of girls you want to be going after anyway.

4U2NV on
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Don't do it, asshole.

I don't get it some of these comments.

A girl is free to make her own decisions regarding who she is in a relationship with.

Tube has said this many times, if she is going to cheat on you she is going to cheat on you and there is nothing you can do about it.

And frankly, those aren't the kind of girls you want to be going after anyway.

Agreed, but getting to know a girl with the intention of trying to get in her pants is being manipulative and false. Pretending to be her friend when your true intention is to have sex with her is treating the girl like a sex object.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Pretending to be her friend when your true intention is to have sex with her is treating the girl like a sex object.

This is what I was trying to say.

If you want to go out with her, just man up and ask her out exactly as you would as if she were single.

Feral on

• Options
    Penguin_OtakuPenguin_Otaku Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I've dealt with the other guy twice. If you're a decent human being don't become that guy.

Penguin_Otaku on
    sig-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I also don't understand why everyone says "He just wants to get into her pants". I did not get that vibe anywhere in the OP, just that he was interested in her.

It would help if the OP clarified his intentions though.

4U2NV on
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    That may be true, 4U2NV, however I submit that he should not pretend to be 'just friends' while really trying to get her to date him. OP, if you are interested in her, ask her out on a DATE, do not pretend to be her friend while intending to pull the bait-and-switch on her the entire time.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker