Options

How do you deal with racism?

electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
I had an interesting experience the other night at my 5 year high school reunion. I was talking to a girl who had always been a bit, well, "yabbo", for want of a better word and naturally the usual commentary of what uni and what degree did you do proceeded and I mentioned I went to UNSW.

This triggered the quite disturbing comment of "I bet you were like the only white person there" and was followed on with "yeah there are asians everywhere at my uni. I hate 'em". I was pretty drunk at the time but I believe there may have also been a requisite "go back to their own country" thrown in there as well.

Now, this is not actually a surprising sentiment unfortunately - it gets scrawled on public bathroom walls around the campus with retarded regularity, what has given me some reflection though is how do you react to something like this? I feel like in retrospect I should've been more angry about these comments then I was - in person I went for deflecting comments and said something to the effect of "well they do work hard to get their, but you did graduate so you can obviously compete".

Was this the right thing to say? I don't know. On the one hand there's no real value starting a pretty venomous argument at an event like that, on the other hand that idea is far too prevalent and incredibly damaging to what I want Australia to be - we have a massive hangover of the White Australia Policy still.

And so I'm conflicted - on the one hand I want to be angry, I feel like I should've been but on the other hand I also know that by and large the attitude expressed was just ignorance, which I feel is why I went the route I did - emphasize that we're all colleagues and people. I mean what do you do about that sort of thing?

Hence I pose the question to you D&D - it is easy for us to disparage racism, but how do we prevent it becoming an idea in the first place? This might be a slightly culture specific thread - racism against the asian community in Australia has always seemed incredibly fucking perverse to me because it starts from the precept of "these people are smarter then us", to my mind. I just, I don't know how to react to that when I encounter it - the only thing my reflection has come up with is while I should feel more irritated, I'm not sure being confrontational would've really helped.

Opinions, reactions, comments?

electricitylikesme on

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I had an argument with this girl at work about racism being dumb. I always argue against it. But I try not to get angry. Eventually im just like, thats dumb, and usually they dont say anything anymore around me.

At least they arent doing it around me I guess.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    I don't know if this is the best example. A lot of uni people get frustrated with some of the international students, but I think its more personal than principled. The chinese and indians in particular tend to be insular and rude, and there's that whole 'buying yourself a place' thing. The South Americans and Africans don't cop the same problem, far as I can tell, or the Europeans. I have a suspicion that the better english someone speaks and the more friendly they are, the less of a problem people have. Doing a group assignment with three other people who won't/can't talk to you is pretty frustrating.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    SpeakeasySpeakeasy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm hispanic, and deal with racism pretty much every other day. I just laugh and either make a comment agreeing with the sentiment, a reversal or brush it off. It's something that's not going to go away any time soon, so why get bothered over it?

Also what I truly enjoy is being called Mexican when I'm not. But that can't be helped...we all look the same :D

Speakeasy on
    smokeco3.jpg
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I think the best way to combat racism is to mock it, Mel Brooks style.

Qingu on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Step 1: Stop discussing about the problem, and stop talking about it. When people complain, accuse them of being the real racists just for observing it.

Step 2: ???

Step 3: Problem solved.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Step 1: Stop discussing about the problem, and stop talking about it. When people complain, accuse them of being the real racists just for observing it.

That's retarded. Mockery is better.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    And yet that response is surprisingly common.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    Spacehog85Spacehog85 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    How do I deal with racism?

Hate everyone equally.

Spacehog85 on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    When people are being overtly racist, i.e. "God damned (ethnic group)" I tend to shake my head and walk away. It's the subtle racism I enjoy confronting. Everything from "Lol Barack Hussein Osama" on down usually warrants a sarcastic "It's nice to see that good old-fashioned racism and xenophobia are alive and well. Prick."

TL DR on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The Cat wrote: »

Dismissive mockery.

moniker on
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Walk away.

Shogun on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It's kinda difficult dealing with racism over here when most Finns don't concider the n-word to be any worse word than "black".

But then, I've seen, like, two black people, ever, so dealing with it is not that much of an issue around these parts.

But you just know that if it ever came up when talking to someone, chances are pretty good that I wouldn't like what I'd be hearing.

reVerse on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I don't know if this is the best example. A lot of uni people get frustrated with some of the international students, but I think its more personal than principled. The chinese and indians in particular tend to be insular and rude, and there's that whole 'buying yourself a place' thing. The South Americans and Africans don't cop the same problem, far as I can tell, or the Europeans. I have a suspicion that the better english someone speaks and the more friendly they are, the less of a problem people have. Doing a group assignment with three other people who won't/can't talk to you is pretty frustrating.

How is that not a perfect example of racism?

I'm at a loss.

Just what is your point, here?

MikeMan on
  • Options
    Eggplant WizardEggplant Wizard Little Rock, ARRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The other day at work, some guy called me to his desk and showed me a "hilarious" email forward of a cartoon depicting Barack Obama as a monkey. I wanted to slap him for:

A) Being a racist.
    B) Being retarded enough to think that, because I'm white, I'm naturally a racist also and it's totally cool to show off something like that to someone you barely know at work.

Instead I just said, "dude, that's pretty racist" and walked off. He was very quiet and somber the rest of the day. I think maybe my cool reaction somehow made him feel worse than if I had become visibly upset.

Eggplant Wizard on
    Hello
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    moniker wrote: »

Dismissive mockery.

This.
    I don't think the word has all that negative history behind it

Yeah, slavery couldn't have been that bad. God he's dumb.

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    MikeMan wrote: »

I'm at a loss.

It's generalizing a subset of a larger generality? Not all asians are assholes, all asians who attend my college are assholes.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

I'm at a loss.

When people deal day in and day out with people who are a) a pain and b) impact their educational quality in a number of ways, they tend to say mean things? Its still a problem, but its not a case of 'hurr hurr iggerant yobbo generalising about the whole population'.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    At work maybe a year ago we had a new guy, and we were talking in the back room. Somewhere in the conversation he said something about "chinks" and I told him it was racist and to knock it off. It was the last I heard coming from him.

Admittedly, he did not last long at our store.

James on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    And it's not exactly wrong if it's an honest observation of her experiences. Up until high school I could easily say the majority of black people I'd met were jerks.

Also, it's not uncommon to see insular trends among significantly different cultures. There's a lot more seperating a native Chinese student and Aussie student than a native British.

Quid on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    When people deal day in and day out with people who are a) a pain and b) impact their educational quality in a number of ways, they tend to say mean things? Its still a problem, but its not a case of 'hurr hurr iggerant yobbo generalising about the whole population'.
    I went to the whitest CSU in California, and I dealt with lots, and lots of people who were a) a pain and b) impacted my education quality in a number of ways, but I doubt most people, when describing and generalizing about these presumed negatives, would ascribe them to the ethnicity of the stupid people in their group project.

It's one thing to say, "Damn, I have some dumb-ass motherfuckers in my group," (which I said about my white group members basically every time I had to do group work), but it's quite another to say, "Damn, because these people are <ethnicity x> they are causing problems."

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Quid wrote: »
    And it's not exactly wrong if it's an honest observation of her experiences. Up until high school I could easily say the majority of black people I'd met were jerks.

Also, it's not uncommon to see insular trends among significantly different cultures. There's a lot more seperating a native Chinese student and Aussie student than a native British.
    But the fact that the Chinese student is seen as the "problem" while the Aussie student is seen as unquestionably the one in the right...

I understand cultural differences amongst ethnic groups, but when you start pointing the finger and saying ethnic group so-and-so is causing problems because, essentially, they're unlike me, then it gets a little messier.

And another whole thing is that while white people often feel comfortable discussing common trends amongst minority ethnic groups, I've found few things piss off white people more than making broad generalizations about whites, so...

• Options
    edited June 2008
    Up until high school I could easily say the majority of black people I'd met were jerks.

But you and I both know they were jerks because they were asshats, not because they were black. Which actually means because caucasians are the in the majority, we most likely have a larger number of asshats. I guess it would be like an asshat per capita deal.

Spacehog85 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

I'm at a loss.

It actually is a case of "hurr hurr iggerant yobbo generalising about the whole population." How is it not?

"Yeah there are asians everywhere at uni. I hate 'em."

See, the problem is with "I hate 'em." That's a racist statement. It's the perfect example of racism.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    celery77 wrote: »
    But the fact that the Chinese student is seen as the "problem" while the Aussie student is seen as unquestionably the one in the right...

I understand cultural differences amongst ethnic groups, but when you start pointing the finger and saying ethnic group so-and-so is causing problems because, essentially, they're unlike me, then it gets a little messier.
    Well, isn't part of the point of studying abroad integrating yourself into that culture? Also, she didn't have problems with the culture so much as with their not speaking the same language, which I can see as a valid complaint when your grades are hinging on working together in a group.

Quid on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    When people act racist around me based on their assumption that I am white and therefor on their side, I start listing my ancestries or relatives*, or the history of their own cultural background.

But that largely works because people don't want to piss me off.

Goddamn palefaces.

*The only major group I can't trace a direct marriage-based or blood relation to is "Black," but much of my family was raised in a black neighborhood, such as my father, and they conform to most of the stereotypes for that background.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Guess who didn't say that.

She didn't say that.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Spacehog85 wrote: »
    But you and I both know they were jerks because they were asshats, not because they were black. Which actually means because caucasians are the in the majority, we most likely have a larger number of asshats. I guess it would be like an asshat per capita deal.
    At the time, no, I didn't think that way. I very much hated black people for quite some time and still had a general distrust until a few years ago. Childhood trauma will do that though.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    When people act racist around me based on their assumption that I am white and therefor on their side, I start listing my ancestries or relatives, or the history of their own cultural background.

But that largely works because people don't want to piss me off.

Goddamn palefaces.

I'll see your ass in court. Don't judge me on my inability to obtain and maintain a tan.

Spacehog85 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Up until high school I could easily say the majority of black people I'd met were jerks.

Was the intent of the claim by ELM's drunk person that they hate all asians, or that they hate a subset of asians, those who are at her school? The two mean markedly different things, and I'd find it difficult labelling the latter as true racism. At least, in a vacuum. It may just be the easiest descriptor to label the recipients of her ire. Same as 'frat boys' or 'those fuckers on the 3rd floor.' Or she may be a racist bitch.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

She didn't say that.
    Er, I'm referring to Cat, who did say that. She referred to those she worked with at university.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

She didn't say that.
    Er, I'm referring to Cat, who did say that. She referred to those she worked with at university.

Oh, sorry. Heh.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Well, isn't part of the point of studying abroad integrating yourself into that culture? Also, she didn't have problems with the culture so much as with their not speaking the same language, which I can see as a valid complaint when your grades are hinging on working together in a group.
    Yeah, of course part of it is integrating, but all too often the white majority sees any difference as a failure to integrate.

So their English skills weren't as good as hers -- big surprise? It's something you have to work with in a diverse environment. She also says they were more quiet than her Aussie counterparts. Considering I've done group works with plenty of semi-mute, stupid-ass white kids who didn't say much because they didn't have a single useful idea in their head, I don't see how the Cat's complaint is necessarily a function of their ethnicity, yet because their skin is a different color, it becomes one. Moving beyond that, maybe they were more quiet and shy around an Aussie, because they've had a surplus of experiences where white people give them a hard time about their speech (speaking in a second language can be really, really scary, because it's often difficult to "be yourself" (as I'm sure you probably know) when you're not fully fluent), or else white people just pester them about the cultural differences, or whatever the hell else it is that white people do instead of just relaxing and letting them be themselves, because they're judging them on how well "integrated" they are, so on, so forth...

So I agree that "integration" is something that people traveling in other countries should make some concessions toward, but that's all too often used as a cop-out for white people to act boorish, ignorant, and ultimately racist in the end. The majority also has some responsibility to help the minority integrate as well, and also to allow for harmless differences where they present themselves, something the majority can often struggle with.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'll see your ass in court. Don't judge me on my inability to obtain and maintain a tan.

Irish need not apply.

(Because if it's not Scottish it's crap)

--

One of the important thing is to know the difference between a race, a culture, and an individual.

Genetics are meaningless outside of the doctor's office.

Culture can be a pretty big deal -- I have a low opinion of pretty much all of them.

People of any cultural background will regularly completely fail conform to the standards of that culture.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Yeah, of course part of it is integrating, but all too often the white majority sees any difference as a failure to integrate.

So their English skills weren't as good as hers -- big surprise? It's something you have to work with in a diverse environment. She also says they were more quiet than her Aussie counterparts. Considering I've done group works with plenty of semi-mute, stupid-ass white kids because they don't have a single useful idea in their head, I don't see how this is necessarily a function of their ethnicity. Moving beyond that, maybe they were more quiet and shy around an Aussie, because they've had a surplus of experiences where white people give them a hard time about their speech (speaking in a second language can be really, really scary, because it's often difficult to "be yourself" (as I'm sure you probably know) when you're not fully fluent), or else white people just pester them about the cultural differences, or whatever the hell else it is that white people do instead of just relaxing and letting them be themselves, because they're judging them on how well "integrated" they are, so on, so forth...

So I agree that there "integration" is something that people traveling in other countries should make some concessions toward, but that's all too often used as a cop-out for white people to act boorish, ignorant, and ultimately racist in the end. The majority also has some responsibility to help the minority integrate as well, and also to allow for harmless differences where they present themselves, something the majority can often struggle with.

Exactly.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

So their English skills weren't as good as hers -- big surprise? It's something you have to work with in a diverse environment. She also says they were more quiet than her Aussie counterparts. Considering I've done group works with plenty of semi-mute, stupid-ass white kids who didn't say much because they didn't have a single useful idea in their head, I don't see how this is necessarily a function of their ethnicity. Moving beyond that, maybe they were more quiet and shy around an Aussie, because they've had a surplus of experiences where white people give them a hard time about their speech (speaking in a second language can be really, really scary, because it's often difficult to "be yourself" (as I'm sure you probably know) when you're not fully fluent), or else white people just pester them about the cultural differences, or whatever the hell else it is that white people do instead of just relaxing and letting them be themselves, because they're judging them on how well "integrated" they are, so on, so forth...

So I agree that there "integration" is something that people traveling in other countries should make some concessions toward, but that's all too often used as a cop-out for white people to act boorish, ignorant, and ultimately racist in the end. The majority also has some responsibility to help the minority integrate as well, and also to allow for harmless differences where they present themselves, something the majority can often struggle with.
    Yes, well, I trust Cat enough to give her the benefit of the doubt and not be a bigot.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

She didn't say that.

No no, I didn't have a problem. Full-fee foreign students from china and india do business/law/medicine as a rule, because they're the degrees marketed heavily to overseas students and they're perceived as having the high returns on investment that justify travelling so far (which is true). What I'm describing is what I've heard from other people. You can see how the attitude arises, and my point is that its not starting with 'dang furriners, they're all funny colours', its starting with 'argggh these guys are a pain to deal with' plus overextrapolation. Still, I never saw one of those frustrated students freaking out about the general asian population, just the students they had to deal with.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, I'm not going to give people guff for finding it a pain to work with others who speak a different language.

Also, totally called it on Cat not being a bigot.

Quid on
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'd be straight up lying if I said I don't discriminate at all. I know I do. But skin color has about nothing to do with it.

On the rare occasions when I do run into legit racist statements, my reaction varies from an uncomfortable response to disgust, largely based on how well I know that person.

The thing with America is that there's like this . . fog of racism, or something, that kind of throws this air of unpleasant understanding over white-black interactions. Malcolm X talked about it at length in his book, and I definitely noticed it when I went abroad for a year . . . and it was just not there. Its like . . . that history of slavery and jim crow and all that horrible shit just isn't there to hang over everyone. Its like everyone comes to the table expecting the same from everyone else.

And I really wish I knew how we could move past our history. Its rough.

geckahn on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

So their English skills weren't as good as hers -- big surprise? It's something you have to work with in a diverse environment. She also says they were more quiet than her Aussie counterparts. Considering I've done group works with plenty of semi-mute, stupid-ass white kids who didn't say much because they didn't have a single useful idea in their head, I don't see how this is necessarily a function of their ethnicity. Moving beyond that, maybe they were more quiet and shy around an Aussie, because they've had a surplus of experiences where white people give them a hard time about their speech (speaking in a second language can be really, really scary, because it's often difficult to "be yourself" (as I'm sure you probably know) when you're not fully fluent), or else white people just pester them about the cultural differences, or whatever the hell else it is that white people do instead of just relaxing and letting them be themselves, because they're judging them on how well "integrated" they are, so on, so forth...

Yes, well, I trust Cat enough to give her the benefit of the doubt and not be a bigot.
    Me, too, to be honest, but that's what I assumed MikeMan was taking issue with.

Still -- people can surprise you. I mean, shit -- of course I harbor some racist generalizations, not just about minorities, but obviously white people as well, just like I will form negative generalizations about a guy with a polo and his collar popped up. The issue ultimately is how much you allow these generalizations affect your treatment of others. I think I do a pretty good job of not letting them unnecessarily cloud my judgment and prevent me from interacting positively with groups of people unlike me. Am I perfect? Of course not, no one is, but when you take someone in ELM's example who's just saying some stupid, generalizing crap about a group of people largely because they are non-white-euros, then that's crossing a line, and is rightfully demonized by most.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm not even sure. I have an exceptionally strange stance toward racism because despite having grown up in the middle of a serious ohio suburbia, I was one of perhaps...three black kids in my school until high school where that number may have doubled. Throughout all of that time I never really faced any blatant and demeaning racism. However my area just happens to be sandwiched in between a rural section of the country and two urban areas.

Generally as far as racism is concerned i'll often have left discerning individuals ask me questions like "Why aren't you, you know, black?" or when people use a racial slur they'll quickly amend their comment with something similar to "Not like Ed, he's just black. I mean if they were all like Ed. . .". Alternatively from the black community I'll often simply be told that I am not black.

To assess the point of the topic I deal with racism simply by not dealing with it. It's irrational and faulted. I suppose my position has just lead me to take a more humanistic stance on individuals. When I do encounter it I attempt to point out logical fallacies and mistakes and unfortunately I've seen examples that help to perpetuate all sides of racism. Really I just do my best to explain why perceived differences in cultures exist and underline basic humanity whenever I encounter racism.

Oh and I do have to say that coming from a white community (as weird as that sounds) and never encountering a single Asian throughout my scholastic career the integration at university was actually a little shocking at first.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png