As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Guitars are rad thread (I guess drums are too)

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    JC of DI wrote: »
    SirToasty wrote: »
    I don't think I could forgive myself if I bought a Gibson. They sound incredible, but play like a guitar half the price. Plus LP style bodies are extremely uncomfortable.

Do you just mean the shape or the whole weight plus neck-heavy ordeals that some go through? Because the shape I like well enough. I prefer the strat-style cutaways but ain't nothing uncomfortable about an LP shape.
    All of it. Shape, weight, etc. Strat style bodies are just so much better to sit with and even stand with. More balanced and tummy cuts feel so good.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    I dunno I would love a MIDI pad in my tele

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    What strings and picks do you guys use? I can't go back to regular picks after using Dunlop Jazz IIIs. I saw an article in a Guitar World magazine and decided to give them a shot. Definitely a good idea.

As for strings, I like Dean Markley. Not as bright of a sound as ghs or Ernie Ball and they last plenty long. I also like how on their higher gauges the low strings are thicker than on an EB set. Like Mediums for DM are 11-52 as opposed to EBs 11-48.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    1.0mm Nylon picks by Mr. Jim Dunlop because Nylon picks are fuck-awesome.

And for some reason I keep heading back to Dean Markley "Blue Steel" strings for my electrics. I just really love the tone I get out of them and it stays that way forever - plus a cheap price point for a bonus.

Acoustic I make up for with those Elixir motherfuckers though.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    JC of DI wrote: »
    1.0mm Nylon picks by Mr. Jim Dunlop because Nylon picks are fuck-awesome.

And for some reason I keep heading back to Dean Martin "Blue Steel" strings for my electrics. I just really love the tone I get out of them and it stays that way forever - plus a cheap price point for a bonus.

Acoustic I make up for with those Elixir motherfuckers though.
    Dean Markley is the brand. I've tried the Blue Steels and I didn't like them. Too bright.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Yeah I edited already - always think Dean Martin when I think of any Dean.

I play bright music usually - never any metal or anything - so it fits me.

Also apparently the secret is that they're dipped in liquid nitrogen.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    KrentzKrentz Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Now that I think about the comfort of the strat is one of the things I love about it. I can just lay in bed and play it until I fall asleep. I've heard some complaints about how uncomfortable Les Pauls can be so I'll definitely make sure to get a good feel for them before buying.

For my amp setup I have a decent Marshall head with a HUGE Crate stack. I'm not the biggest fan of Crate but we were playing a lot of places that didn't have full sound systems so I needed something that could fill a room with sound and was affordable. I'm pretty pleased with it.

For strings I use Ernie Ball Light Top Heavy Bottom strings. For the pick I used to mostly play punk rhythm so I got used to playing with thick pick ground down to a nub. I still tend to use well-worn nubby picks now because it's what I'm most used to.

Krentz on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    Can this be where I freak out because there's a bitchin' concert coming to my hometown?
    Can it can it can it

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I'll decide when you tell us what show.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Only if you are only going in order to learn from the other musicians Wiggin.

This is a guitar (and drums) thread. Not a Teeny-bopper thread.

Krentz on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    OmegaTofuNinjaOmegaTofuNinja Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Dang I might not have time to hit up some pawn shops today

With any luck I can get out there and come home with a sweet strat or tele

OmegaTofuNinja on
    Facebook Wii: 7912 0299 8667 6601 I tweet sometimes Poetry?!
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Its the Jonas Brothers, isn't it?

Goddamnit Wiggin

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    sick burn

Krentz on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    There is a good chance I buy myself a wedding present this summer and get one of these.

Anybody have any experience with the new 08 strats. I played one in the store and had a blast, just a better experience in every way. I have a MIM HSS strat but I'm starting to notice it doesn't have quite the quality of sound I want.

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    The Naked Brothers Band

is that what it is I don't know

OmegaTofuNinja on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    I might be able to go see the Bouncing Souls and like three other bands towards the end of July
    Which would be fucking sweet
    I'm just waiting for tickets to be available

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Lol! wrote: »
    I might be able to go see the Bouncing Souls and like three other bands towards the end of July
    :/

SirToasty on
  • Options
    MitsuhideMitsuhide Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The only Gibsons that I've liked are the ES-335 (is that the one Eric Johnson uses?) and the Explorer. I normally don't like big-ass pointy guitars. My favourite guitars are Strats and 'Super Strats'. I like Ibanez because they're super comfortable, and I like the industrial sorta look to them. Also, some ESPs are REALLY nice. Like the M-II with maple fretboard. mmmm.

Mitsuhide on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    There was this really nice Ibanez at the place I take my lessons a month or so ago. It was fucking nice. The thing I loved about it though was how thin it was.

Like, ridiculously thin

OmegaTofuNinja on
  • Options
    MitsuhideMitsuhide Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    There was this really nice Ibanez at the place I take my lessons a month or so ago. It was fucking nice. The thing I loved about it though was how thin it was.

Like, ridiculously thin

Must have been an S of some sort. The RGs are the thicker ones, and the S's are like really thin RGs.

Mitsuhide on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Lol! wrote: »

Unless you want to tell us, in detail, what kind of guitars they will be using you should probably go ahead and start a new thread about this and let us continue geeking out about guitars.

Because everything must stay on-topic all the time mirite?

Krentz on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    arod_77 wrote: »
    Mitsuhide wrote: »
    Phonehand wrote: »
    hey annika what kind of gibson should i get

Stop being a little faggot and get a Les Paul.

9 pounds of manly shred

45 pounds of I'm a Guitar Hero tool. I know FAR too many people who worship Gibson because of that goddamn game. Atleast the marketing worked.

You are an insufferable idiot if you would let that cloud you over the merits of the Les Paul platform.

Granted--Gibson's quality control has taken a nose dive as of late but that is another issue.
    Also, LPs were extremely popular well before Guitar Hero.

Phone, what kinda stuff you lookin' to play? How much do you want to spend? My aesthetic preferences probably aren't the most popular. I prefer the double cutaway Les Paul to the SG, and the Thunderbird to the Explorer. But really, use is going to dictate whether you should be lookin' at a V or an ES-335.

I want something versatile. I don't like to say that I want to play one particular type of music more than another.

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    hey annika what kind of gibson should i get

Stop being a little faggot and get a Les Paul.

9 pounds of manly shred

45 pounds of I'm a Guitar Hero tool. I know FAR too many people who worship Gibson because of that goddamn game. Atleast the marketing worked.

You are an insufferable idiot if you would let that cloud you over the merits of the Les Paul platform.

Granted--Gibson's quality control has taken a nose dive as of late but that is another issue.
    Also, LPs were extremely popular well before Guitar Hero.

Phone, what kinda stuff you lookin' to play? How much do you want to spend? My aesthetic preferences probably aren't the most popular. I prefer the double cutaway Les Paul to the SG, and the Thunderbird to the Explorer. But really, use is going to dictate whether you should be lookin' at a V or an ES-335.

I want something versatile. I don't like to say that I want to play one particular type of music more than another.

Les Paul

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    i would really dig something with a raised bridge

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Like, ridiculously thin

Must have been an S of some sort. The RGs are the thicker ones, and the S's are like really thin RGs.

yeah looks like it was an S

thank you musiciansfriend.com!

OmegaTofuNinja on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Man I totally have errands to do but fuck now I just wanna play the guitar all dayyyy

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    MishraMishra Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I've played the guitar for a few years now (Off and on) within the last year I've finally buckled down and taken it beyond a hobby, it feels so good to actually be able to play more than a handful of songs and rip out your own badass stuff.

Anyways, no pics, but I have a Gibson Les Paul studio in white with gold hardware, this guitar is definetly my baby. My backup is a Carvin custom DC135 in bluebirst with flat black hardware, very pretty wish I could get a pic since no one seems to know wtf a Carvin is unless they've been around.

Both guitars I run into a Pod XT live and into a Steve Vai Legacy VL212 which sounds beautiful on the rare times I get to play with it cranked up. For recording I just hook up the Pod to my PC and record, or play through the PC speakers, either way it comes out ehhh. Not as good as through the stack.

I'm also lookin into getting an Alesis DM5 Pro electric drumset to help out my recording, planning on goin one man band here lol.

Forgot to mention, Mishra that LP is amazazing. My mother-in-law has an old old old maybe 60s Gibson SG, she never plays it and I'm thinkin I may build up the courage to kill her and steal it. Or maybe just ask to play it.

Thanks, it definitely feels good when someone compliments it. It's been upgraded with the Alnico pickups instead of the ceramic ones that were standard. It sounds fantastic, I worry though because I live near the beach and I get green crap growing on the frets

Mishra on
    "Give a man a fire, he's warm for the night. Set a man on fire he's warm for the rest of his life."
    -Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    MishraMishra Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    SirToasty wrote: »
    What strings and picks do you guys use? I can't go back to regular picks after using Dunlop Jazz IIIs. I saw an article in a Guitar World magazine and decided to give them a shot. Definitely a good idea.

As for strings, I like Dean Markley. Not as bright of a sound as ghs or Ernie Ball and they last plenty long. I also like how on their higher gauges the low strings are thicker than on an EB set. Like Mediums for DM are 11-52 as opposed to EBs 11-48.

I use snarling dogs, I love the grip I get very sweaty hands and They stay solid. I use super slinky EB strings, I tried American flyer's but they rust within a day this close to the beach

Mishra on
    "Give a man a fire, he's warm for the night. Set a man on fire he's warm for the rest of his life."
    -Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    QuadropheniaQuadrophenia Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Anybody wanna buy a boring ol' MIM Strat?

Don't sell that shit, man. The only really big difference between Mexican, American, and Japanese Fenders is the electronics. Put new electronics in that and it'll be pretty much just as good as an American.

Quadrophenia on
    I'm so tired of partying.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Dang I might not have time to hit up some pawn shops today

With any luck I can get out there and come home with a sweet strat or tele

If you're in Bloomington, go to Roadworthy.

Quadrophenia on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Don't sell that shit, man. The only really big difference between Mexican, American, and Japanese Fenders is the electronics. Put new electronics in that and it'll be pretty much just as good as an American.
    I am either getting new pickups in mine or selling it. The thing is, I really like it because it's the gunmetal blue satin finish, black pickguard. I don't know anyone with a guitar like it. I rarely use a neck pickup, but now that I think about it, if I did it would have to be single coil. So what I would probably do is get a nice hot bridge humbucker with a slightly less hot stacked single coil. I'd need to get a custom pickguard from warmoth .com. Setup would possibly be a three way switch and a coil split for the bridge pickup. Only one volume knob and no tone knobs.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

I've seen some really nasty fret work on some of the Japanese ones, but that was in the 90's. They're supposed to have higher QA now.

The issue, though, is that I really never play it. I primarily play bass right now, and I have two basses and three guitars. I have no desire to horde it, when I could sell it off and put the money towards a banjo or a new sax or something.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Must only be some of them because I know a dude who has a Japanese telecaster from the 90s and it's pretty fucking awesome. He stripped the paint off (since the paint for MIJs were really thick) and put new pickups in so it sounds really good and also looks good.

Quadrophenia on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Well, that's what QA is. The more work you put on the assembly line, the more someone has to come behind and double check it. For a while, both perfectly fine and total shit instruments were passing out the doors one behind the other.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I had a Fender Stratacoustic for about 3 years

308609.jpg

but I sold it.

Seriously on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited June 2008
    takamine are charging me 147 pounds to fix the guitar that broke a month after they sold it to me

don't buy their guitars

Tube on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    So ugly.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So ugly.

That's nothing compared to the action that thing had.

I posthumously named it [Odysseus's bow], but I don't think that was actually a named thing, so

plus it was my fault I didn't think to get the think looked at when I was having trouble holding the chords.

Seriously on
  • Options
    Wombat!!Wombat!! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I like Italia basses. Do any of you know anything about their reliability, and actual quality?

Wombat!! on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    High action makes a man out of you.

Quadrophenia on