As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tire Spray On Paint?

LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
edited June 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Last night I was using Maguirs Hot Shine tire spray and tried to be careful with over spray onto the paint. The morning I noticed a patch near the wheel well that looked and felt rough, like extra fine sand paper. Kinda like dried glue.

Does anybody know how to remove the tire spray off of paint or just wait till the chemical breaks down?

Edit: I tried finding this help on Maguir's website but am waiting for registration approval.

LondonBridge on

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Clay should do the trick if a wash doesn't get it off. Just be sure to wash the area first and wax it afterwards. If you have no idea what claying a car is, let me know and I'll give you a quick primer if you're interested! It's an easy, very rewarding process.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    EverywhereasignEverywhereasign Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm interested. I've heard alot about using clay, apparently it can clean nearly anything and make it look really nice.

Any suggested reading or linkage?

Everywhereasign on
    "What are you dense? Are you retarded or something? Who the hell do you think I am? I'm the goddamn Batman!"
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Sure! Clay is great for getting the stubborn stuff that doesn't come off in a hand-wash off your paint. Plus, once you're done, your car will literally feel as smooth as silk to the touch.

Anyway, here's the process:
    1. Wash and dry your car.

2. Take the clay and the provided lubricant in hand. Working on an area of the car about 2ft x 2ft at a time, spay the lube and rub the clay across the car with medium pressure. You'll feel the crap coming off into the clay. Make multiple passes - once you've done an area properly, it will feel as though the clay's gliding across the paint.

3. When you've finished a section, reshape the clay by hand, so you'll get a clean surface for the next bit.

4. When you've finished the car, be sure to wax it promptly. You've managed to get a ton of crap off your paint, but if you don't wax, it'll all come back again with a vengeance.

Some tips - when you get a clay bar, break it in half. You don't need to be using the whole thing at once. Now this part is crucial - IF YOU DROP THE BAR, THROW IT AWAY. It'll pickup a bunch of shit off the ground and you don't want that stuff on your paint. Generally, it's recommended as something to do two or three times a year.

Here's a link to pretty much everything you'd ever want to know about doing it.

That site totally pimps a product line called Sonus or something, but aside from that, it's a fantastic detailing resource. I used the Mother's brand myself, but they're all pretty much the same. You can get a kit with all you need (clay, lube, and wax) for about $15 at Kragen and most likely less at K-mart/Target/Whatever.

Good luck!

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu