As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Proton Pack On] Who Ya Gunna Call?

I'm_Chris_HansenI'm_Chris_Hansen Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Games and Technology
19173_normal.jpg

Official Site: http://www.ghostbustersgame.com/us/index.html

The Ghostbusters are back in an all new story penned by the original creators! With Manhattan newly overrun by ghosts and other supernatural creatures, it's up to you to take the role of a new recruit joining the original film cast of the famous Ghostbusters team. Equipped with a variety of unique weapons and gadgets, you will hunt, fight, and capture a wide range of uncanny phantasms and demons in an all new funny and frightening battle to save New York City from its latest paranormal plague.

Screenshots:
ghostbusters11.jpg
1.jpg
ghostbusters_4a.jpg

-All of the original actors are doing the voices

-It's being released across all platforms (obviously will be the most fun on Wii)

My inner child is crying tears of joy...I just really hope it lives up to its potential

Just have a seat over there for me
I'm_Chris_Hansen on

• Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This... could be so good.
    Then again, it might not, but original cast doing voices, and same writers...

Just watched the movie recently, it hasn't lost any of its charm.

Rhan9 on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Will be picking up the Wii version.

Cartoony Graphics + Remote-controller proton pack = win.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I don't get this. How big of a market for this can there possibly be? I grew up in the 80s and actually saw the Ghostbusters movies when they were coming out and I don't even care about the game.

Granted there are some hardcore Ghostbuster fans out there who will dig it but the only thing anyone younger than me has is a shitty cartoon, right? How is this going to succeed?

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    This... could be so good.
    Then again, it might not, but original cast doing voices, and same writers...

Just watched the movie recently, it hasn't lost any of its charm.

NO YOU SHUT THE FUCK UP BEFORE YOU JINX IT!!

Everyone if we all know this will be awesome then it will. No one can have any doubts or it wont work!

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • SoshiKitaiSoshiKitai Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    FightTest wrote: »
    Granted there are some hardcore Ghostbuster fans out there who will dig it but the only thing anyone younger than me has is a shitty cartoon, right? How is this going to succeed?

You mean The Real Ghostbusters? The emmy-nominated one that lasted for a long time and several people enjoyed/loved it? Where tons of people had memories of watching that show?

Or do you mean the rather disappointing Extreme Ghostbusters? The one that aired around 1997?

...I could understand how that one could be considered "shitty"... but some episodes were fucked up...
    (like the one where a horror novel author's creations came to life and forced the author to continue writing the series, in where the creations ::fugly surgeon-esque monsters:: would literally kidnap and "butcher" the victims and turn them into a fugly mindless stitched-up freakjob)

...and the original ending credits completely beat the family-friendly ending...
    (they replaced the original ending credits roll with the "new" one about 5-6 episodes in... the original just had credits rolling by, with the freakish monster/ghost-designs would roll on by... the new one was the same, except, they added music. The original had no music, and only the creepy moaning, groaning, and roaring of the monsters could be heard)

Yet even as "unpopular" as that was, it still was "good" enough to get a video game... (mind you, a game no one bought, but you get the idea)

I'm sure they can find a way to market to the younger generation (today's generation wouldn't even recognize the insignia of Ghostbusters)... afterall, the younger generation gamers do read gaming magazines... and they only reason they would ignore good ratings (if they do get good ratings) is if they thought it was shovelware... and as far as I know, I don't think there's any shovelware that has ghosts-capturing in it. ...so I'm sure it'll intrigue some.

And btw, people younger than you still watched the movie...because it replays a lot on movie channels, and is considered to be one of the "MUST HAVES" in rental stores. :P

SoshiKitai on
    edited June 2008
    I'm pretty sure everyone knows Ghostbusters. It's like Star Wars. The movies came out ages ago but that doesn't stop people from watching it still.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Was "Extreme Ghostbusters" the one with the guy in the wheelchair?

Cause that was just stupid.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I remember when I was 8 or so and I played the NES Ghostbusters and it was so disappointing.

I saw screenshots in some magazine of the Genesis Ghostbusters and I was so fucking jealous.

haha I'm watching a video of the Genesis version on youtube... you can be Peter, Ray or Egon--you can't pick the black guy, that's ridiculous

Captain K on
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I want this game to be so good on so many levels. They're redoing that battle with the Stay Puff btw, they weren't pleased with it.

Also yes the original music theme is in the game, that's been confirmed and not only that but they got something like 45 minutes of unused music that's never been released or heard from the original movie!

Cade on
  • ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    ghostbusters11.jpg

Huh. Howabout that, they finally found a good use for the 'Encase Character Models in Saran Wrap' shader that has been so popular.

Arrath on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    I have high hopes for this game, but it's a fucking travesty that it won't be co-op.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I have high hopes for this game, but it's a fucking travesty that it won't be co-op.

They had co-op going for a while, but players kept crossing the streams, so they took it out.

Renzo on
  • IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Renzo wrote: »

They had co-op going for a while, but players kept crossing the streams, so they took it out.

Hehehe.

I thought there was co-op though?

So excited for this game. Ghostbusters 1 & 2 were my favourite movies growing up.

Igort on
  • deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Renzo wrote: »

And you win.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    wait what

how can this possibly not have 4 player co-op

that is a fucking travesty

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    wait what

how can this possibly not have 4 player co-op

that is a fucking travesty

You can. Online.

I just went and checked.

Igort on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    it better

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2008
    I think I read that 360/PS3 will have co-op and Wii will have some kind of competetive multi. Is that true?

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The Wii game is more "kid friendly" than the 360/PS3 version and has a different art style to it.

Cade on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I only watched the Ghostbusters films for the first time recently.

So great.

I will probably pick this up at some point, either on the 360 or Wii.

LewieP on
    edited June 2008
    I'm sorry,but this is very appropriate:

Wii Version:
    360/PS3 Version:

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    edited June 2008
    Klyka wrote: »
    I'm sorry,but this is very appropriate:

Wii Version:

That whole segment of that film had me laughing so hard I thought I was going to die.

Igort on
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So the Wii gets the Sweded version of Ghostbusters? Swede!!!!

Banzai5150 on
    50433.png?1708759015
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The Wii version has less single-player levels than the 360/PS3, last I read.
    This is unimpressive.

Xagarath on
    edited June 2008
    I wonder if you are going to customize your ghostbuster or if it's just a standard Beef Mantoughstrong player character.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • mrsnackroadmrsnackroad Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This game will be awesome.

If I keep saying it, it'll be true, right? Because, OH GOD, do I need it to be true.

mrsnackroad on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hmm... Now I'm torn.

360 version -> online co-op
    Wii version -> wii remote blasting of ghosts

I may end up with both it seems :(

urahonky on
    edited June 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    Hmm... Now I'm torn.

360 version -> online co-op
    Wii version -> wii remote blasting of ghosts

I may end up with both it seems :(

You make that sound like a bad thing.

If they are both great games and not the same then we get two ghostbuster games instead of 1!

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Crack_ShotCrack_Shot Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »
    This is unimpressive.

There's probably not enough space on the disc to put that many levels on the Wii version.

Crack_Shot on
    edited June 2008
    Crack_Shot wrote: »
    This is unimpressive.

There's probably not enough space on the disc to put that many levels on the Wii version.

360 and Wii discs are the same size.

Plus Wii assets should take up less space than 360 assets.

LewieP on
    edited June 2008
    Crack_Shot wrote: »
    This is unimpressive.

This makes no sense, since the 360 uses the same disks as the Wii does. DVD.

And besides, the Wii would have lower graphics which means they should be able to fit more onto the disk, if you ask me.

e: DAMN IT, get out of my head Lewie!

urahonky on
    edited June 2008
    Woah. Woah woah. Console wars in here? NAH. You know what this thread needs more of?

Ghostbusters.
    ghostbusters.jpg

Wait, no.

THE REAL Ghostbusters.
    p7101123bw4.jpg

mrsnackroad on
  • Crack_ShotCrack_Shot Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    That was a joke, guys.

Crack_Shot on
    edited June 2008
    THE REAL Ghostbusters.
    p7101123bw4.jpg

Hell yeah! Remember the episode where the Ghostbusters fought Cthulhu? Man that was a sweet episode.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
    edited June 2008
    Ghostbusters_Doom.png

Ghostbusting is serious business, okay. We can't be taking this lightly or the ghosts win.

mrsnackroad on
    edited June 2008
    god what is that and where do i get it?

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    edited June 2008

Hmm, I want a sandwich.

Do you want a sandwich,

I bet you do.

LewieP on
    edited June 2008
    LewieP wrote: »

Hmm, I want a sandwich.

Do you want a sandwich,

I bet you do.

Scary. I am getting hungry for something with bread.

urahonky on
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Klyka wrote: »
    god what is that and where do i get it?

Ghostbusters mod for Doom.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    edited June 2008
    Obviously, from that screen shot, you're playing as Peter Venkman - funny how most of the official games tend to forget Winston Zeddemore, but you can see him right there in the Doom mod.

I am very enthusiastic about this game. Its too early to know much about the game - but, are they still shooting for a Halloween release?

mrsnackroad on