As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

White Wolf's World of Darkness

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited July 2006
    This is a bit like not listening to Queen in case people think you're gay.

Tube on
  • Options
    JomeroJomero Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Look, whatever floats your boat.

I've already said why I don't like it. You guys aren't going to somehow magically transform my likes and dislikes with some fairy dust.

I already said that overall I liked Werewolf. Don't get so defensive over things I personally don't like.

Just as I knew many emo kiddies who loved Vampire, I knew just as many people who were into the furry scene who liked Werewolf. They enjoyed that aspect of the whole multi-breeding thing.

Whether or not it officially happens in the books, I really couldn't give a tinker's damn.

This is the one and only thing I didn't like about the world. Again, overall I thought it was pretty well done. Who the hell else would even know what a Gurahl is, let alone have read the sourcebook if they weren't interested?

Jomero on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Oh I can totally see how furries would like it, but you're being retarded if you think that Werewolves have something to do with zoophilia

Tube on
  • Options
    AllonAllon Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Yeah, that's like saying FATAL can only be enjoyed by ra... Oh wait.

Allon on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    I think a better comparison is saying that you need to be a blood fetishist to play Vampire (personally, I have to turn away when people get bitten on Buffy)

Tube on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    I know that's not what the game is about. It's about protecting Gaia from the Wyrm and staying back the Apocalypse. It's about loyalties and ties to your pack.

The other just seems like a minor implication, and I just pointed out that I didn't like that implication. Rein back your defensiveness. I'm allowed to not spooge over every inch of the Werewolf sourcebook. ;)

Jomero on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    "whatever floats your boat" pretty clearly implies that werewolf players are all about fucking puppies.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    That was more a defensive attack towards people who jumped down my fucking throat for saying one thing I didn't like about the game, and blowing it the hell out of proportion.

Jomero on
  • Options
    ravensmuseravensmuse Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Speaking as someone that ran Werewolf campaigns for a good couple years -

I groan whenever someone starts in with the "tree hugging hippies" spiel. It's a classic.

Werewolf did have an earth friendly attitude, but it was easily enough tossed out and ignored. There was the above-mentioned inter-tribe politics; the runs through the Umbra, visiting different Realms; over-arching plot lines like the hunt for the Silver Crown, the african alliance that killed Black Tooth, brought back the were-hyena from extinction, and started making Egypt safe for the Striders again, the fall out from Baba Yaga's Iron Curtain in Russia (I still maintain that the werewolves were cheaped out there, but hey), the War in the Amazon; and hell, if you wanted this to be real horror, there were Kinfolk games too.

And towards the end of things, they were making out the Weaver to be just as bad, and the only reason the Wyld wasn't getting any real publicity was because everyone else was too worried about the other two to pay attention to what It was doing. Sure Pentex was a little goofy, but if you tossed out most of the Wyrm related stuff, there was some good stuff there too.

I've just got too much invested in the oWoD to really want to get into the new one. I've got a couple of friends writing for it, but nothing they've told me about it interests me. Too much of it seems to be backlash from the players and STs that always complained about too much metaplot; I say, bring on more! I'd rather have a world that felt alive then to be told, "make your own stuff up". I guess that just makes me uncreative then :)

(I can't believe my first post here I'm defending Werewolf :lol:)

ravensmuse on
    READ MY BLOG - Web Serial Fantasy - Tabletop Gaming Snips & Reviews - Flea Market Hunting
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    I am still saddened that the W:TA computer game had it's plug pulled, especially since development in it was very far. I was very much looking forward to it (even though you played a White Howler, when none should exist anymore).

Jomero on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Oh, I wanted to say one thing Allon -

I love your sig. The mods on RPG.net are nuts.

ravensmuse on
    READ MY BLOG - Web Serial Fantasy - Tabletop Gaming Snips & Reviews - Flea Market Hunting
  • Options
    AllonAllon Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Meh, I kinda had that one coming.
    Besides, try hanging out in the forums for a while. You'd go nuts too... :P

Allon on
  • Options
    Beige ATMBeige ATM Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Personally, I'd be more happy about improved mechanics than I would be annoyed about worse story, because it's easier to pick and choose (or make up) story elements that you like than it is to create your own system.

I should state for the record that I haven't read any of the oWoD books, just played V:tM Bloodlines for the PC, but I'd like to pick up the old books, especially Wraith, Changeling and Ascenscion. (because I quite fancy someone who likes to play them ;))

And by the way, I like that gold font in the M:tAw book :P

Beige ATM on
    And if the music stops... there's only the sound of the rain
    All the hope and glory, all the sacrifice in vain
    And if love remains, though everything is lost,
    We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost.

Rush - "Bravado"
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Jomero wrote:
    I know a bit about the World of Darkness, especially for one who's never played a single tabletop game of it. I had many friends who were into Vampire: The Masquerade (I knew a TON of Goths in the early/mid '90s) and had friends who also enjoyed Werewolf: The Apocalypse. I knew more about Werewolf than Vampire, though.

I liked the idea that the Garou were the protectors of the Earth. It was a new spin on things. I hear that has changed?

They're not so much protectors of the Earth from pollution and corruption as they are the protectors of this plane from the spirit one. Basically we need to say on this side of the gauntlet (I forget if it's still called the gauntlet) and spirits need to stay on ther side: Urathra are the ones that smack spirits around (or at least try) when they cross over into this world.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Jomero wrote:
    I know a bit about the World of Darkness, especially for one who's never played a single tabletop game of it. I had many friends who were into Vampire: The Masquerade (I knew a TON of Goths in the early/mid '90s) and had friends who also enjoyed Werewolf: The Apocalypse. I knew more about Werewolf than Vampire, though.

I liked the idea that the Garou were the protectors of the Earth. It was a new spin on things. I hear that has changed?

They're not so much protectors of the Earth from pollution and corruption as they are the protectors of this plane from the spirit one. Basically we need to say on this side of the gauntlet (I forget if it's still called the gauntlet) and spirits need to stay on ther side: Urathra are the ones that smack spirits around (or at least try) when they cross over into this world.

Let's have a game where werewolves are protectors of their stomache from hunger and go to rip the shit out of humans every few days.

:)

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I did not like the new World of Darkness because they have seemingly destroyed everything that was awesome about the old Garou.

They also removed the Get of Fenris - that is unacceptable and Golgol Fangs-First would not be pleased.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    As much as I used 'No more Brujah?!' as a complaint before, by now I'm getting sick of the complaints that WoD 2.0 sucks because it's not WoD 1.0.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I have the Revised Edition Sabbat symbol tattooed on my shoulder, along with the I:IV:XV Cainite Heresy secret code right below it.

Guess which version of the WoD I like.

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Chorazin wrote:
    I have the Revised Edition Sabbat symbol tattooed on my shoulder, along with the I:IV:XV Cainite Heresy secret code right below it.

I seem to recall people insulting you openly last time you mentioned this in a WoD thread. Saying this is why people think people who play Vampire are freaks.

But what does I:IV:XV mean?

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Chorazin wrote:

I seem to recall people insulting you openly last time you mentioned this in a WoD thread. Saying this is why people think people who play Vampire are freaks.

I know they did, hence I said it again. :P I love the fact that a Mario tattoo is "OMG SWEET" but something from Vampire is "OMG ALL VAMPIRE PLAYERS ARE FREAKS OMGOMGOMG COCK DICK ECT."

I:IV:XV = Genesis, Chapter Four, Verse 15:

"But the LORD said to him, "Not so [a] ; if anyone kills Cain, he will suffer vengeance seven times over." Then the LORD put a mark on Cain so that no one who found him would kill him."

Or, as the Cainite Hersey puts it, "He who shall slayeth Caine shall suffer the vengence of the Lord seven-fold."

EDIT: My WoD collection
    188547298_611e07490a.jpgSee it bigger here.

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    That probably dwarfs my entire collection of gaming books. D:

But I see some stuff that is not WoD! What is that I see? Angel somethingorother core book!

And shadowrun!

You can't trick me.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Chorazin wrote:
    Chorazin wrote:

I know they did, hence I said it again. :P I love the fact that a Mario tattoo is "OMG SWEET" but something from Vampire is "OMG ALL VAMPIRE PLAYERS ARE FREAKS OMGOMGOMG COCK DICK ECT."

"But the LORD said to him, "Not so [a] ; if anyone kills Cain, he will suffer vengeance seven times over." Then the LORD put a mark on Cain so that no one who found him would kill him."

Or, as the Cainite Hersey puts it, "He who shall slayeth Caine shall suffer the vengence of the Lord seven-fold."

That's, uh, not that spectacular a collection of WoD books for someone willing to permanently mark his own flesh for it. I'm just saying. :)

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    I dunno, it's got to be a few hundred dollars worth.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited July 2006

How much did your computer or consoles cost you?

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited July 2006

How much did your computer or consoles cost you?

I don't think that's necessarily relevant. Some hobbies require more money to be seen as excessive. Owning a multigym and a good quality set of weights doesn't make one an obsessive about exercise, and the cost of that could probably buy you most of white wolf's output.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited July 2006

Not sure how much his stuff cost at the time, but the hardbound books alone are about $40 dollars each nowabouts, and those softcovers are probably in the 20$ area.

So yeah, a few hundred might be the low end.

I point this out because it looks like he's got in the area of 20 hardcover books there (at least, they look hardcover.)

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Sigh. This thread makes me want a game on so badly. SO badly. I am still highly remorseful that W:tA fell apart when I lost my internets. That gives the forum a pretty low success rate for pnp games, huh?

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    defrag wrote:
    Sigh. This thread makes me want a game on so badly. SO badly. I am still highly remorseful that W:tA fell apart when I lost my internets. That gives the forum a pretty low success rate for pnp games, huh?

Goumindong's PBP eberron has been going on for several months now. I think the problem with other game ons is too many people who aren't dedicated enough.

I was part of your W:tA game, and I don't like to admit incompetence, but waiting around for seven or eight other guys to make their posts made the games sort of unmemorable, and the reason I stopped showing up wasn't that I didn't enjoy it or didn't want to play, but just that I honestly forgot that we were playing at those times.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    RavagerRavager Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    defrag wrote:

Id love to play an online WoD game seeing as how my friends arent into RPing and ive always been interested in WoD. Maybe we can pull something together.

Ravager on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Allon wrote:
    Meh, I kinda had that one coming.
    Besides, try hanging out in the forums for a while. You'd go nuts too... :P

I've lurked there since I left the White Wolf forums a good three or four years ago. RPG.net has some of the most hard-assed mods ever, and some of the posters there are worse than even the WotC boards.

ravensmuse on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    defrag wrote:
    PBPs are hard to run in a single thread on a forum that moves this quickly. I play in quite a few over on a dedicated site and they work out just fine. An entire forum stops things getting cluttered and helps prevent players missing posts.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Chorazin wrote:
    Chorazin wrote:

That's, uh, not that spectacular a collection of WoD books for someone willing to permanently mark his own flesh for it. I'm just saying. :)

In college my friends and I were HEAVILY into the WoD, we had like, three different games a week. I'm not outwardly "wierd" in appearance anymore, but I'm proud of my gaming tattoo. Anyways, if you're close enough to me to see me without my shirt on, you'd already know about my gaming obsessions. LOL

Not sure how much his stuff cost at the time, but the hardbound books alone are about $40 dollars each nowabouts, and those softcovers are probably in the 20$ area.

So yeah, a few hundred might be the low end.

I point this out because it looks like he's got in the area of 20 hardcover books there (at least, they look hardcover.)

Oh, my collection (taken at purchase price) has to be in the thousands. The limited edition books were close to 100 each, and I have three of those. Not to mention the softcovers were around 20 bucks each, and the hard covers around 40.

And the Angel and Shadowrun books are the only non-White Wolf books in there. I do have the Abberant book stashed in there, but that's a kick ass game. I'm thinking of running a Shadowrun/oWoD game sometime in the future...

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    MoridanMoridan Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    My collection was about that size before it was consumed by ebay.

Moridan on
    Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary
    opinion is wishful thinking at its worst.
    - Robert A. Heinlein
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    I don't suppose either of you have the clan novels on PDF? I have a few, but I swear those things are like gold dust. I can't find the second saga anywhere.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Chorazin wrote:
    Chorazin wrote:
    Chorazin wrote:

In college my friends and I were HEAVILY into the WoD, we had like, three different games a week. I'm not outwardly "wierd" in appearance anymore, but I'm proud of my gaming tattoo. Anyways, if you're close enough to me to see me without my shirt on, you'd already know about my gaming obsessions. LOL

Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying you're not a big fan or anything; just that collection size doesn't seem to be as large as I would expect for someone who would be willing to get at tatoo based on it. It's still a very nice collection; but I'd say it's an ethusists's collection; not an "obsessionists" one. :D

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    not an "obbessionists" one. :D

A what now? :D And you should post a pic of the tattoo.

Rook on
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I want to see the tattoo

edit: beat.

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Rook wrote:
    not an "obbessionists" one. :D

A what now? :D And you should post a pic of the tattoo.

I didn't say that. Quit putting words into my mouth... that I didn't say.

Also, give me a break, I'm tired. I should have been asleep like two hours ago.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    The new WoD kindas strikes me as White wolf trying ot make more money off of ideas they've already written to death. A total reboot was the only way they could really write any more sourcebooks.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    The new WoD kindas strikes me as White wolf trying ot make more money off of ideas they've already written to death. A total reboot was the only way they could really write any more sourcebooks.

Not really; they COULD have just done a "Revised 4th Edition" or something and made yet another set of books based on the updated system like they did twice before. So instead of making a new set of clans, we'd see yet another set of clanbooks. Instead of the five covonant books, we'd see yet another version of the Guides to the Sabbat and Cammarilla.

Undead Scottsman on