As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Car engine noise after driving through a lake-like puddle

KingMooKingMoo Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Any idea what might be making a ticking noise in the engine after I drove my little honda civic through what i thought was a puddle? water came up over the engine and I got out after a couple seconds but the car died and I had a to wait a few minutes to get it started again.

![▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓]!
!!!!▓▓▓▓▓Gravy?▓▓▓▓▓!!!!!!
!!!!!!▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓!!!!!!!!!
of doom
KingMoo on

• Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    If you can, I'd recommend getting it towed to a mechanic to evaluate it. If you get water into your engine and run the vehicle, you'll destroy the engine. Water = does not compress well.

Other than that little bit of warning, I can't be much more helpful.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I've driven a couple miles on it since and started it up this morning for a couple minutes to see if the problem would go away. Have I already gone too far and might as well drive it to the shop or would you still recommend getting it towed there?

also, I've been looking around on the internet and I'm reading up on what needs to be done if it is hydro lock. I could do some of these things myself (change oil, disconnect / dry plugs). Could I do something to attempt to fix it or take it in?

p.s. my knowledge in automotives is VERY lacking but can do simple things like change oil and add fluids.

Thanks

KingMoo on
    ![▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓]!
    of doom
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    If it currently runs, it's not hydrolocked. I would change the oil ASAP in case there's a significant amount of water in there.

Edit: But yes, you should have it looked at if you're not absolutely sure what you're looking for.

Fats on
  • Options
    CooterTKECooterTKE Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    go to a mechanic and have it looked at as you may have sucked water into the engine.

CooterTKE on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    CooterTKE wrote: »
    go to a mechanic and have it looked at as you may have sucked water into the engine.

I took the air filter out. it was very wet

KingMoo on
    ![▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓]!
    of doom
  • Options
    finalflight89finalflight89 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    A wet air filter isn't going to have much airflow.

Get the car looked at.

finalflight89 on
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Fats wrote: »
    If it currently runs, it's not hydrolocked. I would change the oil ASAP in case there's a significant amount of water in there.

Edit: But yes, you should have it looked at if you're not absolutely sure what you're looking for.

Absolutely true, in both counts.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    Ticking is weird. A short squeal sound would be normal. Weird probably demands a professional's eye.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    fuelishfuelish Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You can get "hydrolock" and still have the car run. Usually water only gets in one cyclinder that happens to be on intake stroke. It draws water in, intake valve closes, piston goes up on compression stroke and the water trapped in the cylinder refuses to compress. You end up bending a rod or cracking a piston. Now the car is running on the other cylinders(three in a Honda) and the ticking sound is coming from the damaged cylinder.

This is likely what happened, but it could be something else that might be a lot less expensive.

fuelish on
    Another day in the bike shop Pretty much what it sounds like. The secret lifestyle, laid open.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    i changed the oil and now the ticking sound is gone. There was definately water in the oil as I could see it on the dip stick.

I'll probably take it in for a maintenance checkup since it's about right time for that anyway.

Thanks for the help!

KingMoo on
    ![▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓]!
    of doom
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    follow-up:

I changed my oil 2 times and had a maintenance checkup and got oil changed there too. yesterday the engine died as the first rod went through the engine block. So I need a new engine.

Don't know if this had anything to do with the water damage earlier but who knows.

KingMoo on
    ![▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓]!
    of doom
  • Options
    Monolithic_DomeMonolithic_Dome Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Pheezer wrote: »
    Ticking is weird. A short squeal sound would be normal. Weird probably demands a professional's eye.

That happens to me sometimes. What is that, anyway?

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    fuelishfuelish Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The ticking or the squealing?

Ticking can be a bunch of things but is often the lifters. Most modern cars have hydraulic lifters, they use the engine oil pressure to maintain proper valve clearance. If you don't change your oil little bits of grit can get in the port of the lifter blocking it and reducing the pressure and increasing clearance. Then you get a ticking sound as the lifter smacks the pushrod or valve tip. The fix is usually a topend teardown, but sometimes an oilchange will fix it at least temporarily.

Squealing is usually a loose belt. It can also get contaminated and squeal or be worn enough to not fit the pulley correctly.. The fix is to adjust it or replace it

fuelish on
    Another day in the bike shop Pretty much what it sounds like. The secret lifestyle, laid open.
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It could be so many things, that if you're not an experienced mechanic, you're definitely better off taking it to one. Shit, it could be a lifter, or it could be a loose exhaust manifold.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    KingMoo wrote: »
    follow-up:

I changed my oil 2 times and had a maintenance checkup and got oil changed there too. yesterday the engine died as the first rod went through the engine block. So I need a new engine.

Don't know if this had anything to do with the water damage earlier but who knows.

I'm gonna go with "yeah, it does." When you get water in there the compression gets all fucked up and then you throw a rod.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    follow-up:

I'm gonna go with "yeah, it does." When you get water in there the compression gets all fucked up and then you throw a rod.

I thought that if the compressions was screwed up then the engine would have had problems immediately. IT was more than a month and 3 oil changes since the water incident.

I would love it if there was a way to tell if this was from water damage because then I could probably get my insurance company to pay for the repair.

KingMoo on
    ![▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓]!
    of doom
  • Options
    ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The water probably caused the rod to bend slightly in whatever cylinder ended up throwing it. Over the month, the stress finally got to it and it broke, shooting the piston out of the block.

The good news is you own a honda, and you can find japanese engines hella cheap. Im assuming you own an older civic, say, pre 2002, and are running a d-series engine. Check your local honda forums (google "your town civic club") to find a reliable place that does swaps, and pick up a D15B. You can usually get them for under 600 bucks, and labor to put it in will run you between 400-600 dollars. If youve got an Si from... 99-2001 (i think), youve got a b-series, and the new engines going to be a little more, in the range of 1500-2500, but labor will be about the same to install.

If you have a newer civic, and are running a k-series engine... well... its going to be a little more expensive. The base model K-series run about 1500-2000 used, and the ones in the Si are about 4000-5000.

Just make sure you find a reliable place to drop the new engine in, as shadier places will try and charge you out the ass for stuff you dont need or want. Thats why i recommend finding a honda forum for your area, as those guys will know the best shops that deal strictly with imports, and specialize in swaps. Even though youre probably not going to change series, it helps to have someone who does swaps day in and day out work on your car, as when you get it back it will be in great running shape, and you dont need to worry about some guy who works on GM's all day forgetting to hook up vacuum lines or something.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Zeon wrote: »
    The water probably caused the rod to bend slightly in whatever cylinder ended up throwing it. Over the month, the stress finally got to it and it broke, shooting the piston out of the block.

Heh. I just had a bent rod replaced in a F-150 last weekend. Evidently there was a hose or something that wasn't sealed right and was letting water into one of cylinders and caused it to bend the rod. Thankfully there was a fairly obvious knocking sound (I thought it might have been some bearings at first, because they had been a problem before in that truck). I talked to a mechanic I know and he [correctly] guessed that it was a rod. So the engine had to be pulled and the rod replaced. Thankfully I have family members who are mechanics and didn't have to pay for labor aside from beer (though they do get invited next time I grill steak) :P

Lesson learned: water does not compress well.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Zeon wrote: »

The good news is you own a honda, and you can find japanese engines hella cheap. Im assuming you own an older civic, say, pre 2002, and are running a d-series engine. Check your local honda forums (google "your town civic club") to find a reliable place that does swaps, and pick up a D15B. You can usually get them for under 600 bucks, and labor to put it in will run you between 400-600 dollars. If youve got an Si from... 99-2001 (i think), youve got a b-series, and the new engines going to be a little more, in the range of 1500-2500, but labor will be about the same to install.

If you have a newer civic, and are running a k-series engine... well... its going to be a little more expensive. The base model K-series run about 1500-2000 used, and the ones in the Si are about 4000-5000.

Just make sure you find a reliable place to drop the new engine in, as shadier places will try and charge you out the ass for stuff you dont need or want. Thats why i recommend finding a honda forum for your area, as those guys will know the best shops that deal strictly with imports, and specialize in swaps. Even though youre probably not going to change series, it helps to have someone who does swaps day in and day out work on your car, as when you get it back it will be in great running shape, and you dont need to worry about some guy who works on GM's all day forgetting to hook up vacuum lines or something.

thanks for the help. I have a 2002 Honda Civic 1.7 liter engine. It turned out to be 1100 for a used engine (30,000km) and 1400 for install. Don't need a new timing belt and water pump because the engine is so new.

It's hard to guage prices because I'm in Calgary and everything here is extremely expensive because we invented oil and gas :)

KingMoo on
    ![▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓]!
    of doom
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    UPDATE:

So I had a new engine put in for $3000. The insurance company went to look at the old engine and the mechanics there (T&T Honda) told him water damage was NOT the problem since water damage takes effect immediately, not a few weeks later. They said the damage was probably due to running out of oil.

This is interesting since I had the oil changed by a Honda dealership at a different location (same company - Calgary Honda) exactly 1 month before I blew a rod. You would think they would make an effort to consult there database to make sure they hadn't recently changed my oil before telling the insurance agent that lack of oil was the cause of the damage.

problem now is that the insurance won't deal with it because they were told lack of oil was the problem. I tried talking to Calgary Honda but their service department just forwards me to a manager that is never there and doesn;t return calls.

Any suggestions what my path forward is or am taking the bullet on this one?

KingMoo on
    ![▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓]!
    of doom
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    UPDATE:

So I had a new engine put in for $3000. The insurance company went to look at the old engine and the mechanics there (T&T Honda) told him water damage was NOT the problem since water damage takes effect immediately, not a few weeks later. They said the damage was probably due to running out of oil.

This is interesting since I had the oil changed by a Honda dealership at a different location (same company - Calgary Honda) exactly 1 month before I blew a rod. You would think they would make an effort to consult there database to make sure they hadn't recently changed my oil before telling the insurance agent that lack of oil was the cause of the damage.

problem now is that the insurance won't deal with it because they were told lack of oil was the problem. I tried talking to Calgary Honda but their service department just forwards me to a manager that is never there and doesn;t return calls.

Any suggestions what my path forward is or am taking the bullet on this one?

Go in to the dealer that screwed you with copies of any relevant paperwork, be polite, but firm and see what they're willing to do.

Otherwise you may be looking at suing them for shoddy work.

Ruckus on