As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DnD 4E: The Tide [OOC]

JacquesCousteauJacquesCousteau Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Critical Failures
The story of Fallcrest is that of the Phoenix rising from the ashes. Although the town's bright prospects were crushed by the Bloodspear War it has staggered to its feet. In its infancy, the town is a mere shadow of its former self, but manages to survive as a trading post at the world's crossroads, attracting business both legitimate and less so.

Like an infant, however, the town is in a fragile state. Although its denizens are weary of another enemy from outside, within the city walls too there are forces battling for the city's future. A truly desirable place for the strong of heart to eke out a living by sword and spell. You are a hero, having been drawn to the town to seek your destiny, but the question remains: will you ride the tides of Fate to your destiny or simply be swept away?

Hey all. Looking for 3-5 1st level PC's for some 4E fun. I guess we're all new to the system, but this is actually my first time DMing a DnD game. Just the PHB for races and classes right now. Once I choose some players we can get right into the game.

Current Cast:

Garret Barger the Fighter played by Dscrilla
Farlon the Paladin played by iKant
Kazrik the Cleric played by VoraciousAardvark
Ledge the Rogue played by Bog
Maderas the Wizard played by DVG

steam_sig.png
JacquesCousteau on

• Options
    Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I wouldn't mind making a warlord, either dwarven or eladrin, looking to reclaim his honor (and maybe some sanity) after a horrible defeat

Unearthly Stew on
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Consider me interested in playing the token wizard.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I read that as "The tilde"

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    dscrilladscrilla Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Edit: Thanks for having me!

Barger the Bold, Human Fighter 1

A stocky human with longish brown hair and a kind face. He is dressed in patched mail armor with a damaged horned helm. He wields unadorned weapons and a large shield from another era.

Backstory
    Garret Barger is the young son of native peasant laborers in Fallcrest. He is well known for his strength and good nature. Even as a young boy he would take on gangs of bullies to protect a friend. Young Barger grew up believing in the power of good and his own strength. He is the favorite son of his neighborhood in the poorest part of Lowtown. Now he has been conscripted by fate to defend his city and people. Barger "the bold" dons weapons and armor donated by his family and steps into the fray.

I think it would be fun to try the "local boy done good" background. This is a re-roll of my very first AD&d 2nd Ed PC. His concept was "eff swords".

When battling evil he will fight super dirty. Like, Super filthy dirty. Like, Dur-tay dirty.

Character sheet link:

http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=13401

How he clobbers evil (powers,feats etc)
    At will powers

Cleave
    At-Will Martial, Weapon
    Standard Action Melee weapon
    Target: One creature
    Attack: Strength vs. AC (+6 with axe or mace)
    Hit: 1[W] + Strength modifier damage (Axe:1d10+3 Mace:1d8+3),
    and an enemy adjacent to you takes damage equal to your Strength modifier.

Reaping Strike
    At-Will Martial,Weapon
    Hit: 1[W] + Strength modifier damage(Axe:1d10+3 Mace:1d8+3)
    Miss: Half Strength modifier damage. (1)
    If you’re wielding a two-handed weapon, you deal damage equal to your
    Strength modifier(3).

Tide of Iron
    At-Will Martial,Weapon
    Requirement: You must be using a shield.
    Attack: Strength vs. AC(+6 with axe or mace)
    Hit: 1[W] + Strength modifier damage(Axe:1d10+3 Mace:1d8+3),
    and you push the target 1 square if it is your size, smaller than you, or one
    size category larger. You can shift into the space that the target occupied

Encounter Powers

Steel Serpent Strike
    Encounter Martial, Weapon
    Hit: 2[W] + Strength modifier damage(Axe:2d10+3 Mace:2d8+3),
    and the target is slowed and cannot shift until end of your next turn.

Daily Powers

Comeback Strike
    Daily Healing, Martial, Reliable, Weapon
    Hit: 2[W] + Strength modifier (Axe:2d10+3 Mace:2d8+3)
    and you can spend a healing surge

Class Features and Feats

Combat Challenge
    Every time you attack an enemy, whether the attack hits or
    misses, you can choose to mark that target. The mark
    lasts until the end of your next turn. While a target
    is marked, it takes a –2 penalty to attack rolls for any
    attack that doesn’t include you as a target
    . A creature
    can be subject to only one mark at a time. A new mark
    supersedes a mark that was already in place.
    In addition, whenever a marked enemy that is
    adjacent to you shifts or makes an attack that does not
    include you, you can make a melee basic attack against
    that enemy as an immediate interrupt.

Combat Superiority

You gain a bonus to opportunity attacks equal to your
    Wisdom modifier. An enemy struck by your opportunity
    attack stops moving, if a move provoked the
    attack. If it still has actions remaining, it can use them
    to resume moving.

Shield Push
    Push 1 square to target hit by Combat Challenge attack

Opportunity attack
    Attack: Strength +Wisdom mod(1) vs. AC
    Hit: 1[W] + Strength modifier damage.

An enemy struck by your opportunity
    attack stops moving, if a move provoked the
    attack. If it still has actions remaining, it can use them
    to resume moving.

dscrilla on
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm in!

And now that I've had time to think about it. I wanna play a Rogue!

On I go rollin' mah roug!

I guess that's 4 now. Room for one more, probably.

TheBog on
  • Options
    VoraciousAardvarkVoraciousAardvark Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm interested and could fit whatever roll really, assuming there's room. What format is this going to be run in?

VoraciousAardvark on
    DirectLogo.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Play by post, I believe. So I'm not even really sure how that works, but I guess we'll see.

Also. I saw some people posting their character sheets from some kind of online sheet database. Anyone have a link to that site? I don't wanna have to scan my character sheet each time if I can just edit the numbers on the computer.

TheBog on
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    TheBog wrote: »
    Play by post, I believe. So I'm not even really sure how that works, but I guess we'll see.

Also. I saw some people posting their character sheets from some kind of online sheet database. Anyone have a link to that site? I don't wanna have to scan my character sheet each time if I can just edit the numbers on the computer.

Mythweavers has a decent online sheet for 4E.

But I'd like to wave my hand about in a vaguely tentative fashion. Since I'm already getting involved in the newbie PbP game, I don't want to reserve spots, but if you don't get enough interest I am totally in.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Oh.. And how do you want us to roll our characters? As in.. what type of method of getting our stats? Eh... I'll figure it out.

TheBog on
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'd be interested in playing a ranger. Or anything else you'd need, really, too.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Assuming there was still room left when I posted earlier, and after looking through what has already been selected, I was thinking about a Dwarven Paladin of either Kord or the Raven Queen.

VoraciousAardvark on
    DirectLogo.jpg
  • Options
    iKantiKant Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm up for this if theres still room.. willing to roll anything to get some experience, got a pally and a rogue already drawn up, just let me know whats needed.

iKant on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm looking for a PbP game if it gets rolling. I've done some work on an elven ranger, but willing to play other classes too, looking mostly to get a feel for this newfangled 4E.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    My rogue is rolled! Tell me if you can see it or not.

Ledge Heether

Also.. Backstory.

Ledge was raised an orphan in Fallcrest, but it was said that his parents were wealthy scholars, and so growing up he was preached ethics and proper etiquette by the authorities. Oddly enough his caretakers never seemed to be well off and his childhood was rather poor, but he accepted it. He put in his share of hard work like everybody else and made a decent honest living. Eventually Ledge stumbled upon clues leading to the realization that his deceased parents were indeed wealthy, and that he has been swindled out of every gold piece to his name by a relative long ago.

Seeing that the preachers of good are no better than the highway robbers, and that there is no true honest non-corrupt profession, Ledge took up being a mercenary in his town. He himself does not follow any code or morals other than his own. He carries out his job as he sees fit; taking out intended individuals as often as turning back on the employers for their wicked ways. Looting what he can, as none of it is honest, and neither is he, and he's come to terms with that. Ledge is still kindhearted, and doesn't blindly spite the obviously innocent. Friendship is valued and company is always welcome. He is good at his job, and so continues to find employment, although often wishing for something more...

TheBog on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Thebog: You might have linked to your editable page because it's not working for me.

edit: or you might need to edit your sheet and apply public permission.
    iKant, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

iKant on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Alright thanks. I just applied public permission. See if it works now.

TheBog on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Alright thanks. I just applied public permission. See if it works now.

works fine for me :shock:

iKant on
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Maderas - Human Wizard 1

Character Sheet
    Ability Scores
    Str 8
    Con 14
    Dex 14
    Int 18
    Wis 13
    Cha 10

Defenses
    AC 14
    Fortitude 13
    Reflex 15
    Will 14

Misc Information
    Intelligence Attack +4
    Initiative +6
    Healing Surges per Day: 8
    HP Healed per Healing Surge: 6

Class Features
    Wand of Accuracy - Once per Encounter, gain +2 on single attack roll. Must be using wand.
    Cantrips - Ghost Sound, Light, Mage Hand & Prestidigitation as at-will powers
    Spellbook - Contains 3 Rituals Mastered, and holds Daily and Utility Spells (twice the normal number)
    Ritual Casting - Gain Ritual Casting as Bonus Feat

Feats
    Expanded Spellbook - Gain 3x the normal amount of daily and utility spells
    Improved Initiative

Trained Skills
    Arcana
    Insight
    Dungeoneering
    History
    Religion

At Will Attack Powers
    Magic Missile
    At Will * Arcane, Force, Implement
    Standard Action
    Range: 20
    Target: One Creature
    Attack: Intelligence vs. Reflex
    Hit: 2d4 + Int Force Damage (Crit: 12 Damage)

Ray of Frost
    At Will * Arcane, Cold, Implement
    Standard Action
    Range: 10
    Target: One Creature
    Attack: Intelligence vs Fortitude
    Hit: 1d6 + Int Cold Damage, Target is slowed until the end of your next turn (Crit: 10 Damage)

Thunderwave (Human Bonus Power)
    At Will * Arcane, Thunder, Implement
    Standard Action
    Close Blast 3
    Target: Each Creature in Blast
    Attack: Intelligence vs Fortitude
    Hit: 1d6 + Int Thunder Damage, Push Target 1 Square (Crit: 10 Damage)

Encounter Attack Powers
    Burning Hands
    Encounter * Arcane, Fire, Implement
    Standard Action
    Close Blast 5
    Target: Each Creature in Blast
    Attack: Intelligence vs Reflex
    Hit: 2d6 + Int Fire Damage (Crit: 16 Damage)

Daily Attack Powers (Select 1 to Memorize Each Day)
    Acid Arrow
    Daily * Arcane, Acid, Implement
    Standard Action
    Range: 20
    Primary Target: One Creature
    Primary Attack: Intelligence vs. Reflex
    Hit: 2d8 + Int Acid Damage, Ongoing 5 Acid Damage (Save ends) (Crit: 20 Damage), Make Secondary Attack
    Secondary Target: Each creature adjacent to primary target
    Secondary Attack: Intelligence vs. Reflex
    Hit: 1d8 + Int Acid Damage, Ongoing 5 Acid Damage (save ends) (Crit: 12 Damage)
    Miss: Half Damage, 2 Ongoing Acid Damage (Save Ends), No Secondary Attack

Flaming Sphere
    Daily * Arcane, Conjuration, Fire, Implement
    Standard Action
    Range: 10
    Target: One Creature Adjacent to Sphere
    Attack: Intelligence vs. Reflex
    Hit: 2d6 + Int Fire Damage (Crit: 16 Damage)
    Effects: Create a flaming sphere in an unoccupied square within range. Flaming Sphere makes attack vs. adjacent creature. Anyone who stars their turn next to flaming sphere takes 1d4 + Int Fire Damage. As a move action, move sphere up to 6 squares.
    Sustain Minor: Can be sustained until end of encounter. Can make another attack as a standard action.

Sleep
    Daily * Arcane, Implement, Sleep
    Standard Action
    Area Burst 2 within 20 Squares
    Target: Each Creature in Burst
    Attack: Intelligence vs. Will
    Hit: Target is slowed (Save Ends), if target fails first save, target becomes unconscious (save ends)
    Miss: Target is slowed (save ends)

Rituals Mastered
    Comprehend Languages
    Tenser's Floating Disc
    Make Whole

Equipment
    Standard Adventurer's Kit (15 gp) - Backpack, Bedroll, Flint/Steel, Belt Pouch, 10 Days Trail Rations, 50 Ft Hempen Rope, 2 Sunrods, Waterskin
    Wand (7 gp)
    Residdum (50 gp worth)
    28 gp

Back Story
    Maderas can't even remember his true family at this point. His earliest memories are that of living in the home of the Eladrin Wizard Celahir. Celahir was a powerful wizard who often went on various adventures throughout the world in search of lost knowledge and tomes of powerful magic. Maderas was never permitted to go along on his adventures with him, until the most recent one, as Maderas was finally of age.

They had been traveling through dense woodlands for days, when they were set upon by a goblin horde, intent on taking the supplies they had. They fought valiantly, while they could, holding off their captors with their combined magical might. However in the end, the numbers were too great. Just before the roiling horde overtook them, Celahir turned his wand on Maderas, who seconds later found himself standing just outside the City Walls of Fallcrest, miles from where he had been a moment before.

He has no idea if Celahir is alive or dead, or even where he may be at this point in time. But he's determined to find out.

Maderas is bookish and eager to prove himself, though his limited time out in the world often shows though, as he's much more likely to know what happened in a battle 100 years ago than how to find a reasonably priced inn to stay at for the evening.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Updated Ledge with a backstory a few posts up.

TheBog on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I also have added a back story to Maderas.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I suppose we will have to wait for Jacques to see who is in the game. In a fit of unreasonable optimism I've added my character sheet to my post.

dscrilla on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Heres my pally since nobody has rolled one yet, ill get the rest of it updated later tonight including the backstory.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=58509

iKant on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I currently have 3 complete characters from DVG, Bog and dscrilla. As of yet we have a fighter, rogue and wizard. The rest of you: I'll run the adventure for whatever characters you want to play, but it might be in the party's interest to get a healer.

I fine-toothed the three completed character sheets and found a couple minor errors:

Bog
    Heal/Surge should be 5 (rounded down)
    Reflex should be 11 (two weapon defense)

DVG
    Er nevermind.

Those are the only errors I saw, but if anyone sees more don't worry about telling me. I didn't check equipment very thoroughly so I'm kind of leaving that in your hands. If you could include your weapon damage Bog that would be very helpful.

EDIT:

iKant
    history and int are not trained skills they are just get +2 (I'm assuming this is why you have more than 3+religion as trained skills)

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Warlord was claimed early on, so I kinda steered clear of that, but if no one is rolling one, and pally has already been rolled, I'll roll up a warlord real quick if the spot is still free, and send you a character outline/history in a sec.

VoraciousAardvark on
    DirectLogo.jpg
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    iKant
    HP should be 15+con = 16
    history and int are not trained skills they are just get +2 (I'm assuming this is why you have more than 3+religion as trained skills)

In this case, it's literally plus your constitution score, not plus your constitution modifier.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Whoa. That's pretty sweet.

EDIT: Sounds good Voracious. Also n00b-DM mistake tally: I

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    What stat system are we using? The standard array method, or the customizing method? Sorry if I missed that.

VoraciousAardvark on
    DirectLogo.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Looks like people have been using the customising method. I didn't really specify though.

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008

While I'm not arguing for the sake of arguing, I do want to clear some things up so I don't make the same mistakes next time I roll a character.

On pg116 on the first page of the rogue class it says "Healing Surges per Day: 6+Con modifier" so wouldn't that be 6? I noticed the online character sheet I used automatically set it at 5, which I found odd, so I was confused about that. What determines it and why does the class page say 6? Am I even looking at the right thing? Hah.

And reflex 11. Well it starts out at 10. Ok. First rogue page (116) also says "Bonus to Defense: +2 Reflex". Now it's 12.
    Then I add the 1 reflex I get from 2 weapon defense.
    Now it's 13.
    And then, as it says on page 275 in the combat chapter 9, I add my dexterity modifier (or int modifier, whichever is higher) which would mean +4 for a total of 17.
    Am I adding something wrong? Please tell me if I am. Or it could be one of those issues where I'm not suppose to add multiple things.. of.. something.

TheBog on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

While I'm not arguing for the sake of arguing, I do want to clear some things up so I don't make the same mistakes next time I roll a character.

On pg116 on the first page of the rogue class it says "Healing Surges per Day: 6+Con modifier" so wouldn't that be 6? I noticed the online character sheet I used automatically set it at 5, which I found odd, so I was confused about that. What determines it and why does the class page say 6? Am I even looking at the right thing? Hah.

And reflex 11. Well it starts out at 10. Ok. First rogue page (116) also says "Bonus to Defense: +2 Reflex". Now it's 12.
    Then I add the 1 reflex I get from 2 weapon defense.
    Now it's 13.
    And then, as it says on page 275 in the combat chapter 9, I add my dexterity modifier (or int modifier, whichever is higher) which would mean +4 for a total of 17.
    Am I adding something wrong? Please tell me if I am. Or it could be one of those issues where I'm not suppose to add multiple things.. of.. something.

I think he's referring to the amount of healing you receive per surge, which should be 1/4 Max HP (rounded Down)

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Oh. Righto. I must've overlooked that.

And also: "If you could include your weapon damage Bog that would be very helpful."

My weapon damage is all over my character sheet heh. In my attack workspace I figured out the accuracy of both my sword and my dagger and right underneath I figured out the basic attack damage of both.

And in the quick lookup powers I have all the damages figured out.

And in the powers down below I figured out the accuracy and damage of every power in detail and typed it all out.

TheBog on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    (not for your hand crossbow :D)

Also, I don't know why I wrote 11 in my notes. I guess you can ignore that.

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Oh snap! You're right. Sorry. Forgot about my hand crossbow. I added it as an afterthought. *goes and fixes it*

So when are we looking to play? C'mon people. Post your characters! I'm anxious to do some d&din'! heh

Oh hey. Does two weapon defense still work with a hand crossbow? Technically it doesn't specify that you have to be holding 2 melee weapons. Just 2 weapons. I could be holding a dagger in my other hand.

TheBog on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Just waiting for voracious I think.

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Sorry, almost done, we had a huge storm hit and the power went out, killing all of my work. I'll be finished in a
    few minutes.

VoraciousAardvark on
    DirectLogo.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    It's okay. I have to go to bed anyway. So we'll get started tomorrow.

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Still. Post your character up! I wanna see it.

TheBog on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Here it is:
    Kazrik Stonehearth

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=58564

"Kaz Stonehearth is a down on his luck dwarf, recently arrived in this area in search of his Cousin, Rorick Ironfist. Kaz is the last remaining survivor of the Stonehearth clan after an invasion of their home by a group of goblinoids led by a great Ogre warlord, Grodum Manyfists; his nickname earned by the string of hands kept on his belt.

While the Stonehearth clan skirmished with Grodum's band for nearly a year, Rorick, tired of his lot in life, sold out Clan Stonehearth for a portion of the riches Grodum's band had collected over the years, as well as half of the valuables from the raid on the resulting Stonehearth settlement. Without his betrayal, the Stonehearth's home would have been secure against most any attack. Because of his actions, Rorick destroyed the entire clan, save Kaz.

Kaz is searching for both his cousin, to bring him to justice, and Grodum Manyfists, to exact revenge."

edit- He sort of turned into a cleric instead of a warlord after the power went out and I had time to read a bit more.

VoraciousAardvark on
    DirectLogo.jpg
  • Options
    Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Erm, well, turns out I'll be DMing for a group, so I probably won't have time to play this one. I'll have to bow out, sorry if this causes some inconvenience to anyone.

Unearthly Stew on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    So we'll get started tomorrow.

And I am looking forward to it!

Are we aiming for a certain number of posts per day or anything?
    I suppose we need a dice roller, everyone seems to use this one
    I have never PbP before so sorry if everyone knows this.

I have updated my erlier post with a longer character description and added stats for my powers and feats.

dscrilla on