As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Power supply testing?

DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDADublin, OHRegistered User regular
Hey everyone,

I have good friends out of state that recently built two computers. Both builds are nearly identical, with the exception of the video cards. His PC has had no problems, and they recently renovated thier den where the PC's sit. After hooking hers back up, she's experiencing random freezing and "Unknown CPU!" errors on her ASUS board.

What's interesting is, I've already replaced the motherboard once and her PC was fine, but now she gets random crashing in games and just in Windows, alone. At this point I'm going to rule out that the motherboard is bad, but at the same time I'm left grasping at straws as to what else might be failing. Worse, our geographic location to each other doesn't merit a road trip (gas prices nonwithstanding) and I'm... nervous... asking either of them to swap out parts from either box.

So my question is, I want to first test her power supply. Is there any sure-fire way to test a power supply? I've already tested the RAM myself when they had problems with her PC in the first place (pre-motherboard replacement), so I think the next step will be the power supply, and then a CPU replacement... but you can see my prediciment...

Thoughts?

DietarySupplement on

• Options
    1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You can buy a power supply tester at Fry's for $20, tests all plugs and all voltages. Always handy if you're constantly trouble shooting PCs. Ultra made the one I used to have, worked fine. All it does is pretend to be a motherboard power socket (20 or 24 pin)

1ddqd on
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    1ddqd wrote: »
    You can buy a power supply tester at Fry's for $20, tests all plugs and all voltages. Always handy if you're constantly trouble shooting PCs. Ultra made the one I used to have, worked fine. All it does is pretend to be a motherboard power socket (20 or 24 pin)

Does it also test the additional rails/plugs of power that many of them ship with these days?

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    The one I had included an 8pin PCI-Express power plug. Seriously, all the tester has is a block with plugs on every side. Plug in the motherboard connector, then plug in the other ones you want to test.

If you want to test the rails, open the PSU and get out your multi-meter

1ddqd on
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Alright I'll pick one and up and send it to them. Thanks.

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    No problem; it's the easiest way to rule out PSU and it comes in handy. Have them send it back to you when they're done :)

1ddqd on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Gas prices what they are, they're a solid 4 hours from me; mailing a 20 part actually saves me money :)

DietarySupplement on