As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Giants On] So Who's Up For A Game Of Giants: Citizen Kabuto?

LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
edited June 2008 in Games and Technology
16389.jpg

As was recently established here, Giants: Citizen Kabuto was, and continues to be, a brilliant game.
Screenshots
Untitled.png
giants.jpg

Now, I'm not entirely sure how these Game On threads work, but I really want to throw down in some awesome three-way Giants, and there seemed to be some interest in the Giants Is Awesome thread, so I figured I'd make one. Unfortunately my ISP renders me incapable of hosting an online game, but I know it can be done, and here's how.

How To Get Your Giants: Citizen Kabuto All Up To Date

Firstly, this jazz will not work unless you have Giants actually installed on your system because you can't update it, so if you've lost your discs but you've still got the game installed you're out of luck for multiplayer unless someone hooks you up with the appropriate registry keys (I have no idea how legal this is).

So,

1. Install Giants
  2. Update Giants to version 1.4. This will kill the cheats in single-player, for the record.
  3. Install the Geforce 3 Patch. This is non-essential, but hey, why not? It's like, ten megs. It improves the graphics in various ways, and adds weather effects, which is neat.

That should be pretty much it.

Bugs
Help! The game won't even launch when I double-click on it after updating to version 1.4!
Are you on Vista? You might be fucked. This doesn't happen to everyone, but it does to me. Fortunately I dual-boot with XP, on which everything is fine.

Help! The game crashes if I hang around for upwards of like 40 seconds.
Uninstall the Geforce 3 patch, and reinstall it without the weather effects.

Help! Delphi's wearing a bra.
Fix that shit.

As far as I've tested, which is a fair bit, the multiplayer should work fine as long as everyone's version is the same. Failing that, we should be able to use Hamachi to great effect.

Assuming this all goes well, we can then try some mods... like the ones that let you have multiple Kabutos and pretty much any team configuration you want, or the many many custom maps.

Now, who's interested in hosting a game?

LaCabra on

• Options
    MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Haha, i still have the discs for this. but i have a horrible time installing anything with my new CD rom. so i wont be able to get it even installed.

Loved the game when it came out. though the story was SUPER campy....
    timmy?
    timmy!
    TIMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMYYYY

Mighty on
    Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Oh come on guys

LaCabra on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited June 2008
    I think expecting anyone to have the disks for Giants just lying around in easy reach is a bit much

Tube on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    however, if you want me to reinstall Quake 1, Descent 1, C&C: Red Alert 1, Tomb Raider 1, Starsiege: Tribes 1, Baldur's Gate 1, or No One Lives Forever 1, I can handle any of those for you

Captain K on
  • Options
    JaramrJaramr Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Id be up for a game, but I wont be able to host.

And because I lost my discs and had to use a less than legal method of getting it installed it might fuck up somehow with multiplayer. But theres also a chance of that happening with any old game.

Come on guys, someone has to be able to host.
    TIMMMMMMYYYYY!!!!!!!!

Jaramr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Damn, I only have the PS2 version so I can't join you.
    WHAT THE F**K IS THAT!?!

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'd probably be up for joining a game, though I'd have little idea where to host one.
    Haven't really played this in 5 years, so I suspect i'm a little rusty.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I think expecting anyone to have the disks for Giants just lying around in easy reach is a bit much

Man I never let mine out of my sight.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    FagadabaFagadaba Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Fuck yes that game is great.

I could try hosting, I dunno if it'll work.

I've had this game for years man. Woah.

Fagadaba on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Hells yes.

Add me on AIM or MSN or Steam.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I just started playing through the single player. I'm using a different graphics patch though, I'm not sure if it's better or worse. Plus there's the blood patch and GiantsHook to add some bells and whistles. I got it all from http://www.giantswd.org/?file=2.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The second I see this game on sale, and I actually have in the last half a year or so, I'm going to buy it and play the fucking shit out of it with you guys. Actually, fuck it, I'll buy every copy available and send it to PA people who are serious about enjoying this fantastic game.

Also, that is a fucking wonderful OP.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    What.

When did this appear.

I could walk over to my giants cds with my eyes closed.

I've always wanted to play this multiplayer and never ever got to.

edit: Ok I didn't do it with my eyes closed because there's a box between me and the cupboard....but I am holding my giants cd right now.

If someone wants to organise a time I'll happily join a game of this.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    So how does Giants multiplayer work then? Are you building bases and fighting over Smarties?

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »
    So how does Giants multiplayer work then? Are you building bases and fighting over Smarties?

Its been a while, so I might be wrong about a few things.

But yes you are building bases, theres three sides: The Meccs which can have multiple people, and jetpack around shooting things, hunting vimps (You have to feed the Smarties), and stealing Smarties. Delphi also builds a base, and I think theres only one, not sure though. Instead of feeding the smarties you transfer the souls of your fallen enemies to them and they summon stuff out of nothing, and Delphi is ridiciously a lot more powerful that your average Mecc, although there are usually a whole lot of Meccs.

Kabuto is a giant fuck off thing that stomps around the island smashing things. He can also make offspring, to do his bidding. I havent played him in a long time so im probably missing a whole bunch of stuff.

Jaramr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    So you'd have the Meccs, Delphi and Kabuto, all player-controlled, on the one multiplayer map, all working towards their own victories?

Looks like I'm gonna be buying a second copy of this at some point...

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »
    So you'd have the Meccs, Delphi and Kabuto, all player-controlled, on the one multiplayer map, all working towards their own victories?

Looks like I'm gonna be buying a second copy of this at some point...

Yeah, thats the gist of it. Its a shame that the multiplayer community died out before I really got to play it a lot.

Jaramr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Whelp, I just ordered a PC copy. You made me do it. I hate you LaCabra.
    <3

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    There have to/should always be multiple Meccs, there can be multiple Reapers and there can be (and should be!) only one Kabuto.

It is an amazing game mode.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I hope this thread is still going in a couple days once I get the game, I'd be irritated to say the least otherwise.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Ill try to mess around with hosting myself if it isnt. Ive failed horribly with every other game, so theres going to be a very low chance of it actually working.

Jaramr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FagadabaFagadaba Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Anyone who's got it up right now and wants to try a game.

Add me on AIM or MSN: Fagadaba.

Fagadaba on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2008
    I actually do, surprisingly. Reinstalled it last week.

Didn't expect to still have the discs at all, much less in working condition.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I figured now would be as good a time as any, since the recent thread on the game probably got some people at least thinking about reinstalling it.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    How does death work in multiplayer? What are the victory/loss conditions? And how does Kabuto not just get raped if he's located before reaching full size?

Glal on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    -You die, you respawn (kab is back to small size)
    -depends on the game mode, be it capture the smartie or just team deathmatch
    -when kabuto's small, he's still big enough to eat you, and all the better weapons for mecc and reaper don't come until they've built their gift shops and party house

LaCabra on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Also,Kabuto is a fierce beast. You would think it's easy to evade him with a jetpack and stuff but it's not. Not even the helicopter is safe from him. And that's the genius. Kabuto can easily grab you,sometimes even if you thought you were safe.

This game actually managed to have a fantastically balanced multi.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Which is amazing.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    The best trick as Delphi is to slow down time

LaCabra on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The mental image of a Mecc base under assault by a full sized Kabuto... oh man. <3

Glal on
  • Options
    CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Come on guys, start playing Giants multiplayer via Hamachi or what have you and post the wonderful screenshots this game is sure to generate in multiplayer. If we can see Kabuto arse stomp something to death than so much the better.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    LaCabra wrote: »
    The best trick as Delphi is to slow down time

Delphi/the reapers are my favorites. Slowing Kabuto and then unloading homing missile arrows into him,then making 2 copies of yourself and jumping like a mile or so to flee is amazing. Also,you get a fucking jetski/boat/rocket launcher which is awesome.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    kabuto can also grab you and put you on a spike to eat later

Tube on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Installing now, this had better work right on my Vista machine...

EDIT: Works perfectly. Hope there's a game tonight.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Guys? Was there a game? Did I miss it?

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    No, not that a I know of.

Come on guys.

Jaramr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    yeah it was amazing we all talked about how much better it is when you aren't there

Tube on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    oh way to go jaramr

Tube on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I WILL be jumping up and down on this thread saturday week since exams will be all over and I want to play this dammit. Just can't right now.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I have an empty box :(

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
This discussion has been closed.