As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Heavy Metal 2006: Blood Fire Update

• Options
    Bob The MonkeyBob The Monkey Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    It's been topped since well before Mastodon. And I'm afraid the new Voivod didn't do it for me.

The new Voivod does it for me. Does it three times a night, seven days a week. Does it until it has to stop and demands that I have to get it a pack of cigarettes and a beer from the packy.

I'm not trying to be inflammatory, Bob, but I'm still not convinced you 'get' Summoning. From everything I've read here and there, it seems you look for a certain amount of guitar technique and proficiency in metal music (which is okay, most people do). Summoning is the complete antithesis of musicianship, and that is one of the reasons, at least for me, they are so great.
    Good album, but Motorhead and Mastodon are both better for the rocking out.

Both of which lack Piggy's subtle nuances, but I like Mastodon just as much as the Voivod merely because it's a gaggle of great songs.

The new Motorhead is just par for the course, they rarely give anything less, so even though I love it, it just shaves that slight bit of lustre off the finish.

All 10/10s anyway.

No, I'm perfectly happy with music that isn't technically proficient. I love music with a good ambience. Hell, I love Filosofem like one of my own children. But I just don't dig Summoning. It's not a case of not "getting" it, it's a case of not enjoying it.

And the new Motorhead may be par for the course by Motorhead's standards, but I've never been into Motorhead before. It was a minor epiphany for me to enjoy a Motorhead album so much.

And I really don't think that you could boast that the new Voivod could really hold its subtle nuances above either the new Mastodon or the new Motorhead. I've given that album maybe 10 listens by now, and it just isn't doing it for me like Nothingface or Hatross did.

Bob The Monkey on
  • Options
    DreamerdownDreamerdown Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    It was a minor epiphany for me to enjoy a Motorhead album so much.

Then I highly suggest you go back and listen to the rest of them. Because a lot of them were this good.
    And I really don't think that you could boast that the new Voivod could really hold its subtle nuances above either the new Mastodon or the new Motorhead. I've given that album maybe 10 listens by now, and it just isn't doing it for me like Nothingface or Hatross did.

Yes, I can, and will.

Nothingface and Hatross are far less subtle than Katorz. Katorz has a much more straightforward rock and roll structure (like the previous, self-titled album) the only deterrent being some of Piggy's chord selections and compositional choices...that is what I meant by 'subtle nuances'. With Motorhead and Mastodon, what you hear is what you get. I've probably listened to the new Motorhead around 20 times now, and nothing new has popped up that I didn't recognize the first time. Mastodon is really new, so I haven't listened to it 20 times yet, but still, I'm noticing nothing on subsequent listens that I didn't notice immediately. That's all I meant.

Nothingface was a bizarre wonderwork right from the moment you pressed play. Dimension Hatross was similarly strange, just much more metal and with a better sci-fi concept. Those are easily the best Voivod albums of all time, and two of the best albums of all time period. That is not in contention.

But what I love about Katorz (and to a somewhat lesser extent, the previous s/t album) is how it comes off as a fairly normal, accessible rock/punk album, even the lyrics seem more pedestrian, but that sci-fi, intergalactic metal capillary is pulsing just below the surface, seemingly reigned in, but ready to burst at all the right moments, and then doing so...

This, in my opinion, is EXTREMELY difficult to pull off. But they manage with ease. Every single song on that disc swims around in my mind every day. It's actually quite haunting.

Of course the album is not as good as Nothingface, that is an impossible standard of comparison. Hell, one of the members was dead and unable to help complete the final product. Not to mention Blacky was not present on Katorz and was a major component of why those older albums were so amazing. (Not to knock Newsted, he's a good bass player and he aims for that similar style out of respect for the material).

Dreamerdown on
    bigifre1vy.jpg

Not all vampires suck blood.
    Not all of them die for love.
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    It was a minor epiphany for me to enjoy a Motorhead album so much.

Then I highly suggest you go back and listen to the rest of them. Because a lot of them were this good.

Yes, I can, and will.

Nothingface and Hatross are far less subtle than Katorz. Katorz has a much more straightforward rock and roll structure (like the previous, self-titled album) the only deterrent being some of Piggy's chord selections and compositional choices...that is what I meant by 'subtle nuances'. With Motorhead and Mastodon, what you hear is what you get. I've probably listened to the new Motorhead around 20 times now, and nothing new has popped up that I didn't recognize the first time. Mastodon is really new, so I haven't listened to it 20 times yet, but still, I'm noticing nothing on subsequent listens that I didn't notice immediately. That's all I meant.

Nothingface was a bizarre wonderwork right from the moment you pressed play. Dimension Hatross was similarly strange, just much more metal and with a better sci-fi concept. Those are easily the best Voivod albums of all time, and two of the best albums of all time period. That is not in contention.

But what I love about Katorz (and to a somewhat lesser extent, the previous s/t album) is how it comes off as a fairly normal, accessible rock/punk album, even the lyrics seem more pedestrian, but that sci-fi, intergalactic metal capillary is pulsing just below the surface, seemingly reigned in, but ready to burst at all the right moments, and then doing so...

This, in my opinion, is EXTREMELY difficult to pull off. But they manage with ease. Every single song on that disc swims around in my mind every day. It's actually quite haunting.

Of course the album is not as good as Nothingface, that is an impossible standard of comparison. Hell, one of the members was dead and unable to help complete the final product. Not to mention Blacky was not present on Katorz and was a major component of why those older albums were so amazing. (Not to knock Newsted, he's a good bass player and he aims for that similar style out of respect for the material).

Fine, fine. I'll give it a few more listens.

Just for you.

fine.

Bob The Monkey on
  • Options
    SideswipeSideswipe Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Don't do it. That's what he wants you to do.

Do it.

Sideswipe on
    vzsxcvzxc.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2006

Just for you.

fine.

Loudly.

It's one of those records that gets better with volume.

Dreamerdown on
    bigifre1vy.jpg

• Options
    edited August 2006

Just for you.

fine.

Loudly.

This is a problem with a lot of heavy metal, actually. It's mixed so "loud" that when you actually turn it up it sounds terrible.

I can imagine Katorz would not have that problem.

You know what the problem might be, dreamer? I've put on Katorz, and had it in the background when I did stuff, but I'm not sure I've ever listened to it.

Well, I'll give that a go when I'm done with the new Paul Gilbert.

Bob The Monkey on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    You know what the problem might be, dreamer? I've put on Katorz, and had it in the background when I did stuff, but I'm not sure I've ever listened to it.

I can imagine that might affect one's enjoyment.

I blast it in my car, so when I'm listening, it's just Voivod and the road.

Dreamerdown on
    bigifre1vy.jpg

• Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I didn't even know there was a new Mastodon album out. I may have to give it a listen.

Also, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, Maiden have released yet another song off the new album on their official site.

Yall on
  • Options
    S0upS0up Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Am I the only one still getting gang raped by the new Mastodon?

It's just so... amazing.

S0up on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    S0up I love your sig
    Fallout wrote:

I know dreamer says they're not a metalcore band and all but I would like to know how he explains this picture then hmm?

Uh...tattoos and black clothing are not exclusive to metalcore.

No, but those kinds of black clothing generally are, and... seriously is that a fauxhawk?

Just for you.

fine.

Loudly.

Truth.

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    SpackleSpackle Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    S0up wrote:

It's just so... amazing.

The new Mastodon is unbelievably enjoyable

Spackle on
    Taco Bell does win the franchise war according to the tome of knowledge that is Demolition Man. However, I've watched Demolition Man more then a few times and never once did I see WoW. In conclusion Taco Bell has more lasting power then WoW.
    D&D Metal Thread: HERE
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    S0up wrote:

It's just so... amazing.

It's like being in the hotseat during Clockwork Orange, it's so good.

Dreamerdown on
    bigifre1vy.jpg

• Options
    VicissitudeVicissitude Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Yall wrote:
    Also, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, Maiden have released yet another song off the new album on their official site.

And it's damn good, if you ask me.

Vicissitude on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Yall wrote:

And it's damn good, if you ask me.

I am liking what I am hearing.

Sideswipe on
    vzsxcvzxc.jpg
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Guys, this is a little bit off topic, but I'm seeing IRON MAIDEN in November. I'm really excited.

Food on
  • Options
    yakulyakul Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Food wrote:
    Guys, this is a little bit off topic, but I'm seeing IRON MAIDEN in November. I'm really excited.
    That isn't off topic at all. Sweet.

yakul on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Man I hope they come to LA or something, that would be awesome.

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    I need to see Iron Maiden before Bruce does something stupid and leaves/gets kicked out.

Vicissitude on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    haha, of the band or the country?

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Fallout wrote:
    haha, of the band or the country?

Either, really.

Vicissitude on
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Food wrote:

I think two of my friends and I are going to the Boston show.

I've seen them 4 times now, and they never dissapoint. Well ok, they do a little bit, but only because I would sometimes rather hear something other than 666, Iron Maiden, and Run to the Hills. I don't think they have done a show without those 3 songs in 20 years.

On another Maiden related note, they have put a 3rd song from the new album up on their website. It's like fuckin' Christmas!

And this one makes the other two look and smell like poo... :shock:

Yall on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I'm really loving Lordi at the moment. I'd say their first album "Get Heavy" is proabably my favourite so far, "Biomechanic man" is just such an awesome song.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    RecklessReckless Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    New Unearth album, anyone?

Reckless on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    I am seeing Maiden on the 23rd of December.

have a very eddie christmas!

Bob The Monkey on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Reckless wrote:
    :arrow:

Vicissitude on
  • Options
    The CheeseThe Cheese Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Reckless wrote:
    Heheh.

Vicissitude, what do you think of Raised Fist?

The Cheese on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    The_Cheese wrote:
    Reckless wrote:
    Heheh.

Actually I don't think I've heard them

Vicissitude on
  • Options
    yakulyakul Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    -SPI- wrote:
    I'm really loving Lordi at the moment. I'd say their first album "Get Heavy" is proabably my favourite so far, "Biomechanic man" is just such an awesome song.
    I'm still waiting for the AROCKALYPSE.

yakul on
  • Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    If anyone is interested:

Aww, alright link removed

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Firmskater.

Linking to that kind of site is a no-no.

Bob The Monkey on
  • Options
    The CheeseThe Cheese Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Especially when it's Otep, Lamb of God and Devildriver.

The Cheese on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    The_Cheese wrote:
    Reckless wrote:
    Heheh.

Just like old times.

Sideswipe on
    vzsxcvzxc.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    New WYRD ep. It's only demo tracks but it knocked my socks off nonetheless.

Dreamerdown on
    bigifre1vy.jpg

• Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I like Necrophagia "Harvest Rituals 1," but they need to lay off some of the metalcore vibe. I could see them going sour after this.

CA death fest next year, looking puuuurty damn sweet. Heinous Killings alone is almost enough to make me go.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    WHORES OF HADES

BITCHES FROM HELL!

Adrenaline on
    I will show you fear in a handful of dust
  • Options
    AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Yall wrote:
    Food wrote:

I think two of my friends and I are going to the Boston show.

I've seen them 4 times now, and they never dissapoint. Well ok, they do a little bit, but only because I would sometimes rather hear something other than 666, Iron Maiden, and Run to the Hills. I don't think they have done a show without those 3 songs in 20 years.

On another Maiden related note, they have put a 3rd song from the new album up on their website. It's like fuckin' Christmas!

And this one makes the other two look and smell like poo... :shock:
    I think it's pretty fucking cool that you can download all their stuff from that site now, even the new album.

Ataxrxes on
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Well, the intro is kinda lame, but the new Amon Amarth song has some cool parts. I'm not sure if I like their new direction, tho. I loved their last two albums, guess it might be time to be disappointed, eh?

edit: ok, they had their stupid video playing at the same time, so the song doesn't sound as bad on second listen. Still kinda weird, possibly too much melodeath in the song for its own good. And by its own good, I mean the difference between living on to rampage more viking villages, or being taken out behind the outhouse, crapped on, and shot with meat bullets.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    CandlemassCandlemass Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Mmm Drudkh, how lovely. Been listening to them almost all morning.

Candlemass on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I bought a Dragonforce album yesterday and picked up another one this morning. Absolutley epic stuff. Possibly my third favorite band.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Metallica played another new song, this one titled "The Other New Song", mp3 here.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/i3smym

Too bad you can't hear shit.

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind