As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New computer issues - no display on working monitor

CojonesCojones Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok, so my new mobo, processor and RAM arrived in the mail today(I'm cannibalising my graphics card, optical drives and HDD) and I hooked everything up as per usual in no time. The problem is thus: Although everything would appear to be wired up correctly, I don't seem to be getting any feed to the monitor(which I know for sure is working well) at all.

A friend suggested that the graphics card I'm cannibalising to do this may well be fugazi but I'm unsure.

For the record, there're no beeps when I power on, though my computer does not appear to turn off without me depressing the power-on button for four or so seconds. All fans work normally.

Thanks in advance.

exmac.png
Cojones on

• Options
    AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Does the new mobo have onboard video?

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    It's an ASUS P5KC so from what I can tell, no it doesn't.

Here is a link to ASUS' product profile.

Cojones on
    exmac.png
  • Options
    PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    no beeps = no POST = something is badly wrong. Could be the video card, but if it was working I'd think its still OK.

reconnect everything again.
    double check the case connections to the mobo are right and try disconnecting everything but the power switch. (I had a similar problem with a faulty reset button)
    test booting with just ram/mobo/proc/vid card.
    try the minimum bootable ram to test if one of ram sticks is bad.

But if i were a betting man i'd put $5 on a bad mobo.

PirateJon on
    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Ok, more information.

I just rewired it all, making sure that everything was properly seated and I have *exactly* the same issue.

Is a 420w PSU adequate for this? another friend suggested that my (admittedly)weaksauce PSU may be at least partially responsible.

Cojones on
    exmac.png
  • Options
    PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    One of the parts is probably broken. Now you need to find it. Do you have another PSU you can use to test? Test the vid card in anotehr box? What about another motherboard that will take your processor and ram to test them?

PirateJon on
    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes