Options

Trying to remember a video game name (early 90s)

Vladimir7Vladimir7 Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I was talking to a friend today about some of our all time favorite games, and how all of our favorite games were ones we played as a kid (So Atari - SNES games)

But there is this two games that escaped my mind.

Ok, first game was an old Tandy computer game that I played early 90's. I remember there was Island in the name.. or something to do with Islands. ( I remember this specifically because I was very young.. and I never knew how to spell island. But then playing this game I realized island is the words 'is' and 'lands' put together. This game is where I learned how to spell that word hah.) Anyways, you played like in this space world thing doing puzzles. I am thinking you played as some ghost looking thing, but unsure... but that is all I can really recall of the game. I know I loved this game when I was a kid, but the name escaped me.

The 2nd game was on PC and maybe also M that I also played I think maybe mid 90s
It was a suite of games (not sure if bundled) but they were all very similar. They were educational games. One of them was a reading one, but it played in the style of a game. You walked around and there was a CCTV cam that you had to avoid (I think). There were clues in different rooms that you had to research, you would read the clue and try to memorize the details. Then there was robots that would roam the hall way that would have to try to avoid. If you got caught I believe you had to answer their questions. The answers were based on the clues.
There was also a 2nd game in this suite that I believe was similar, but it had to deal with math. I forget exactly what this one was about though.
Then there was a third one that had gadgets in it, and you had to build a custom machine with the available gadgets.

I cant remember the names of any of these 3. but I believe they were all similar so if you can remember
one should be able to remember all.

Thanks

Vladimir7 on

• Options
    pkoochinpkoochin Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I remember the second game you're talking about. There was some sort of mad scientist that took over a radio station and you had to go into different rooms and solve different puzzles.

pkoochin on
  • Options
    dgs095dgs095 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I played a couple educational computer games in the early nineties but nothing you said is bringing back any memories.....its not really a lot to go on.

dgs095 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    pkoochin wrote: »
    I remember the second game you're talking about. There was some sort of mad scientist that took over a radio station and you had to go into different rooms and solve different puzzles.

Yes thats exactly it, a radio station. There were CCTV cams at a radio station that had different looking robots roaming around (some had sweepers I think). There was also a leader/score board.
    The game ran on DOS and came on 5 1/4" floppies

Also, your character wandered around with a huge magnifying glass. I dont think he ever showed his face.

Vladimir7 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    O sick, typing in some of those keywords into google found the results.
    Super solvers series
    http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/super-solvers-series
    Specifically Super Solvers: Midnight Rescue
    Super Solvers: Outnumbered
    and Super Solvers: Gizmos and Gadgets

Not only were these games EXTREMELY fun, they were very educational. And helped me a lot in the early years of school

Sweet. Now if I can just remember the first game

Vladimir7 on
  • Options
    RNEMESiS42RNEMESiS42 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh wow! Treasure MathStorm! I used to play that all the time when I was really young...I've been trying to figure out the name of that game for ages. I used to play that, Reader Rabbit, and some scuba educational game frequently...

RNEMESiS42 on
    my apartment looks upside down from there
    water spirals the wrong way out the sink
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Vladimir7, you are my hero. I played OutNumbered almost obsessively when I was four or five or something like that. I've been searching for it since, but never had any luck because, for some insane reason, I thought it was called MathMan.

I also was thrilled the first time I heard an orchestra play Mozart's Symphony No. 40 (beepy version's used in the game). One of the best moments of my life.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Cyvros wrote: »
    I also was thrilled the first time I heard an orchestra play Mozart's Symphony No. 40 (beepy version's used in the game). One of the best moments of my life.
    I know what you mean. I remember telling my mom how cool that song was. She said "Oh yeah? Come here" and pops the vinyl record into the record player. i was so happy I would listen to that record in the background all the time.

A couple other cool games I used to play all the time where I once forgot the name, but now remember is
    The Adventures of Hyperman ( i remember using a catapult to fling Hyperman into a castle)
    Chips Challenge
    The Treehouse Dos game

Still trying to remember what this island game is.. Wish I could give more details, but all I know is it is I am pretty sure it is a late 80s game. You had to collect crystals or something. it was a puzzle game and I think stages maybe. I think if you stayed on one square to long it disappeared or something... or some holes were missing.. or had to jump from one island to another.... urg totally forget

Vladimir7 on
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Stuff rock bands and orchestras - that is real music. Also probably the best alien I've ever seen in a DOS game.

Just played through Outnumbered in ten minutes (I still jump slightly when a TV or livewire comes into view :D). I'm going to go back to do more of the puzzles.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    NibbleNibble Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm pretty sure I played that island game... I think there was a part in it where you built robots by matching the head, body and legs. It's such a vague memory, though :(

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ahh yes midnight rescue if i was here earlier I could have told you that, I played it all the time when I was a kid good times. :)

Casual on