As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Changing folder permissions upon login on systems that do not have admin rights

dachishdachish Registered User regular
The

My heart it ceases, my breath undrawn.
Eyes forever focused, on the sanguine, metal dawn.
dachish on

• Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I don't believe what you are asking is possible in the way you want it.

We just went to Active Directory and indeed there are ways to give folder permissions from the admin tools on the DC (not as part of a script) and even permissions for users to modify certain registry keys. Exactly how you do this...? I don't know. We're focused on other things at the moment and luckily we don't have but 30 or so PCs we had to go back and modify rights on manually for design software (CATIA, MasterCam, etc).

ok so I got curious and...
    http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/1687ef1d-b382-49c7-b184-a4cc888be5251033.mspx?mfr=true

BINGO

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    CausticCaustic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Another option for you would be a VBScript run from your machine. It would be kind of complicated but learning VBScript is butt simple and you can find a sample of almost any script ever on technet. It would probably be your easiest soultion other than a third party deal.

Caustic on
    COMPLETELY TRUE FACT ABOUT THE MOVIE "POCKET NINJAS" #2: Director Dave Eddy was once arrested for illegally propositioning the Baby Jesus Christmas figurine outside the Our Lady of the Monotonous Peace church in downtown Burbank.
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Cool.

I am pretty sure it's impossible with a script anyway. You can't do anything from a script that a client doesn't have permission for.

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack