As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo needs to advertise their hardcore games again.

EtericEteric Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Games and Technology
As we're all mostly aware, Nintendo usually doesn't advertise their more hardcore games anymore. It's mostly because the hardcore fanbase knows all there is about these games before they come out, and have already decided if they want to buy it or not. Basically, they feel that the games don't need advertising.

But today at the mall, I was looking for Space Invaders Extreme. I bought it, but my mom hadn't come back yet and I had no idea where the hell she was. So I decided to pass some time playing Smash Bros Brawl on the Wii Kiosk, and I have to say that the most peculiar thing started to happen.

People gathered around.

One that I remember the most was a guy, his wife his kid, and a friend of his. He had a Wii, and while I didn't talk directly to him I heard him say something along the lines of, "Wow, that looks fun. I didn't know this was out!" He and his friend got into a discussion about how they play a lot of Wii Sports, but never really bought much else. They now wanted Brawl.

I expect payment in the mail, Nintendo. :P

Point is, I think these games need advertising. Maybe even advertise them on more mainstream channels that wouldn't normally get you an audience for Brawl. If my observations are correct, this once Wii Sports only guy was ready and willing to buy Brawl. How many others do you think are out there?

Maybe there's more to this blue ocean than currently meets the eye.

eatfranks5.png
Eteric on

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Brawl's been selling extremely well, so technically it doesn't need advertising.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    But would it sell better if it had advertising?

I've not seen any ads for Brawl over here other than in stores, and it's out this Friday.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I saw tons of add's for brawl, all the "wii would like to play" ones on TV. Then again, I only watch like 6 channels, and I doubt I saw any on History, NG, Food Network or VH1 Classic, so I'm betting Cartoon Network and Fuse were sporting the majority of them.

Also, Smash Brothers is like Mario at this point, people will hear about it, and of course a few won't, but they will eventually get exposed to it. Plus, my local Fred Meyers had signs all over the electronics section, the Gamestop had signs in the mall hallway, and Best Buy had copies upfront.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I think the logic is that since hardcore gamers are reading about everything before NoA does, there's less of a need to advertise to them.

I seem to recall one or two E3s ago they were pondering if they really needed to do shows like that, since they can just announce anything they want on the internet and the same people will cover it.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I view a 'hardcore' game as having story and character development as well as just being more than trivially easy, Brawl is fun, but it's still really a quick blast of fun with friends rather than something to sit down and savor.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Now hardcore means "does not contain Miis".

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    It was playing on a kiosk in the store...it isn't being advertised...it was playing on a kiosk in a store...it isn't being advertised.

:|

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    BlueBlue wrote: »

So to be hardcore you just need a polygon count of more than 30 per character eh?

Then I've got a tetracontagon to sell you :)

I do agree though, Nintendo should use its strong inroads into alternative markets to really show how games can tell a story in an interesting way. Heck, they've got millions of these consoles in the hands of women around the world, depressing as it may be, but where are their western style love story games or whatever? Heck, hardcore doesn't have to mean hack and slash, it just has to mean something that you have to think about and amuses you on a level beyond the simple moment when you are sitting playing it.

tbloxham on
  • Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    tbloxham wrote: »
    I do agree though, Nintendo should use its strong inroads into alternative markets to really show how games can tell a story in an interesting way.
    This is really the exact opposite of Nintendo's philosophy though. Its gameplay with little or no story. If Miyamoto had been paying more attention to what his subordinates were doing, Super Mario Galaxy wouldnt have those story segments at all. He hates that stuff.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Tetracontagon sounds like a good name for a game.

I was serious about the Mii thing though: currently nintendo is referring to its customers as the "core" market and the "casual" market. Where core means "likes videogames".

I don't know where you are getting this "thinks about and amuses you" idea of hardcore. Maybe you are mixing it up with "good".

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I do agree though, Nintendo should use its strong inroads into alternative markets to really show how games can tell a story in an interesting way.
    This is really the exact opposite of Nintendo's philosophy though. Its gameplay with little or no story. If Miyamoto had been paying more attention to what his subordinates were doing, Super Mario Galaxy wouldnt have those story segments at all. He hates that stuff.

Even in Zelda, one of the more "plot-containing" IPs, Midna was just a thing that was added because it was boring watching link run around as a plain ol' wolf.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    wyrlsswyrlss Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

So to be hardcore you just need a polygon count of more than 30 per character eh?

I do agree though, Nintendo should use its strong inroads into alternative markets to really show how games can tell a story in an interesting way. Heck, they've got millions of these consoles in the hands of women around the world, depressing as it may be, but where are their western style love story games or whatever? Heck, hardcore doesn't have to mean hack and slash, it just has to mean something that you have to think about and amuses you on a level beyond the simple moment when you are sitting playing it.

facepalm2ic7copyrl2.jpg

wyrlss on
    K9Violator.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    That's a big picture and all, but I wouldn't be that surprised if it came to pass (unless it was produced by nintendo). I'll venture a guess that someone is making a killing selling light-novel DS games in Japan.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    Monolithic_DomeMonolithic_Dome Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Let's have a long debate over what "hardcore" means.

To begin our discussion I submit that I am more hardcore than you.

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    wyrlss wrote: »

facepalm2ic7copyrl2.jpg

Are you implying that women do not like romance novels and romantic movies? Because I think that you may find yourself being absurdly wrong if you are. The Romance genre is just as popular with women as the crime and action genres are with guys. You can make a good crime game, or a good action game, why doesn't nintendo show that using their console you can also make a good romance game?

tbloxham on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

facepalm2ic7copyrl2.jpg

Are you implying that women do not like romance novels and romantic movies? Because I think that you may find yourself being absurdly wrong if you are. The Romance genre is just as popular with women as the crime and action genres are with guys. You can make a good crime game, or a good action game, why doesn't nintendo show that using their console you can also make a good romance game?

I am implying that you are sexist. Also, I don't know what the Romance genre is.

wyrlss on
    K9Violator.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    In truth it is probably because they haven't really tried to corner that market before and wouldn't know what they were doing. I can imagine their Japanese design staff trying to come up with a western romance story and it being absolutely terrible, receiving no sales and everyone vowing to never do it again. Good storytelling is really hard to come by in the game industry - I think if someone were to make such a game, it would be some 3rd party more dedicated to that purpose.
    Let's have a long debate over what "hardcore" means.

To begin our discussion I submit that I am more hardcore than you.

I haven't seen any ads for you, so you must be right.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

facepalm2ic7copyrl2.jpg

I am implying that you are sexist. Also, I don't know what the Romance genre is.

Really? Cause it has entire sections devoted to it at Book stores and Video stores.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Have I slipped into D+D?

The OP may have a point but he certainly picked the wrong game to use as an example. SSBB ads were everywhere.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    MandoloreMandolore Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Nintendo do need to advertise hardcore games more. I've heard quite a few stories about people buying Wiis playing them for about a month and getting bored because all they play is Wii sports. If Nintendo advetised hardcore games, like no more heroes, isn't there a chance some of the casual gamers might try them.

Mandolore on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
    —Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V
  • Options
    edited June 2008

facepalm2ic7copyrl2.jpg

Am I sexist if I say that men tend to like action and crime filled plots? Perhaps it is you who is being sexist by saying that the Romance genre is somehow inferior to either?

tbloxham on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Why, that would be as sexist as saying Shmups were better than RPGs!

What are you guys even talking about? If you want to know if you are sexist or not just pm the cat or something.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    UltrachristUltrachrist Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    They just need to bring the nintendo mascot costumes back. Who doesn't remember the original SSB commercial? No one, that's who.

EDIT: I hope I'm not accused of being sexist for this post.

Ultrachrist on
    ultrachrist2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    They brought the Mario one back for the olympic games commercial to mess with Sonic, iirc.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

facepalm2ic7copyrl2.jpg

Am I sexist if I say that men tend to like action and crime filled plots? Perhaps it is you who is being sexist by saying that the Romance genre is somehow inferior to either?

"they've got millions of these consoles in the hands of women around the world, depressing as it may be."

It's this specific part here that comes across as incredibly sexist. Implies that you have a "No women are allowed in our treehouse" mentality to gaming.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008

facepalm2ic7copyrl2.jpg

I would like you to reconsider your use of the word "depressing" and consider that perhaps bitches love Puzzle Quest.

edit: the guy up there too. He knows what bitches like.

wyrlss on
    K9Violator.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I live in an enlightened time, women can play all the videogames they want in my home as long at it's using the computer in the kitchen.
    I do all the cooking.
    Can't trust a women to do something important like meal preperation. :P
    Seriously though, all the women I know play tons of games and are as good as any man.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited June 2008

Even in Zelda, one of the more "plot-containing" IPs, Midna was just a thing that was added because it was boring watching link run around as a plain ol' wolf.
    That's funny, because Midna is my most favorite Zelda character ever.

Dareth Ram on