As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragons vs Dinosaurs - Pages on page 5 - (let me show you them)

mr0rangemr0range Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Artist's Corner
Hi, I haven't posted here in a good year ... except for that one post I just did in the Q/T section. Anywho, been working on making these here comic books. Went to the Seattle con and finally got my first gig. Come next year my first book (not independently published) will be published by Arcana as a 100 page graphic novel.

Anyhow, here's some pages I've just finished after fighting Photoshop and finally easing the pain in SBP.

pg1.jpg

pg2-3_300.jpg

and yes, the book is called Dragons vs. Dinosaurs.

dvd_banner.jpg
mr0range on

• Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Dinosaurs had better win.

Fucking dragons, think they run the place.

Lemming on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Win? oh shoot. I just have them fighting for 40 or so pages ... I didn't even think there should be some sort of outcome.

But really, I leave both sides open for anyone to root for either side. No "good" or "bad" side, just whatever you decide you like the most.

I'll let you in on a secret .... the t-rexs stay strong and healthy by eating unicorns.

mr0range on
    dvd_banner.jpg
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    are you the same mr. orange who used to post at yerf.com and other such sites?
    if so... wow, crazy small innernets!

beautiful work.

beavotron on
  • Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Solid drawing skills, mate.

But aren't dragons basically dinosaurs anyways?

Sublimus on
  • Options
    erisian popeerisian pope Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I read a Roger Zelazney book the other day that included a dragon VS dinosaur (T-Rex) fight towards the end. The fight started and the book moved on to other topics. When it came back around, they weren't exactly fighting anymore ... :winky: (No! It doesn't get graphic, they're just in love.) Anyway, it was funny.

I like the pictures a lot! Would love to see more.

erisian pope on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    beavotron wrote: »
    are you the same mr. orange who used to post at yerf.com and other such sites?
    if so... wow, crazy small innernets!

beautiful work.

No, not me.

thanks.

As for dragons being dinosaurs, I sort of address this and make many differences - one general one being is that in my world, dragons are magic derived while dinosaurs are of the earth. I could say more, but that would be giving away random bits of the comic.

mr0range on
    dvd_banner.jpg
  • Options
    MadanialMadanial Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Dragon vs. Dinosaur ,makes me feel like quality vs. quantity
    :D

Madanial on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Madanial wrote: »
    Dragon vs. Dinosaur ,makes me feel like quality vs. quantity
    :D

are... are you implying that dinosaurs aren't quality
    gtfo of my forum if you're implying that.

beavotron on
  • Options
    MadanialMadanial Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Whao whao, sorry if you don't like what i said.But i didn't mean that Dinosaur weaker than Dragon.

I just guess in his story Dragons're made of magic and DInosaurs made from Earth.
    Earth mean Gaia for me(goddess of earth).So ,what made from Earth should be unlimited(or almost unlimited).And if Dragons in his story summoned by human(I guess from what i saw in his comic),you shouldn't make Dragon weaker or equal to Dinosaur.Because it'll make story unbalance.

Btw ,it too fast for me to say so, because i don't know his storyline.what i said just come from my feeling ,no need to angry about that.

Sorry again if you don't like what i said.

Madanial on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    You've guessed it quite well.

It is a battle of power vs numbers. Like ants against a scorpion - so to speak.

mr0range on
    dvd_banner.jpg
  • Options
    An-DAn-D Enthusiast AshevilleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    mr0range wrote: »
    and yes, the book is called Dragons vs. Dinosaurs.

I approve whole-heartedly. Please continue.

An-D on
  • Options
    The Man with No NameThe Man with No Name __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    I think your dragons look too much like dinosaurs though. They are supposed to be more serpent like, with longer necks, and longer mouths.

The Man with No Name on
    :whistle:
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I think your dragons look too much like dinosaurs though. They are supposed to be more serpent like, with longer necks, and longer mouths.

Well, they have a variety of shapes in the book. Each has its own look. I also wanted to have my own Dragon "look" so I'll be mimicking shapes closer to "real world" lizards.

I'll agree, he has a dino look to him, I'll probably address some smaller details and designs on his body to pull him a bit further away from his basic look. Elements I had in mind when I look back at the rough sketch that I forgot as I got distracted actually doing the piece.

mr0range on
    dvd_banner.jpg
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    In the last panel, the dragon in the back has some bizarre back legs.

Also, and this is pretty much just a personal pet peeve...but why is the woman wearing a cloth bikini if she's going into battle?

I swear to god, if I ever got into the industry, nobody would ever have me design female characters, because I would actually put armor on them. And not just on their shoulders, or hemisphere metal bowls barely covering the nipples...I'd give her goddamn armor, I tell you whut.

Nice composition in the last panel, though.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Also, and this is pretty much just a personal pet peeve...but why is the woman wearing a cloth bikini if she's going into battle?

I swear to god, if I ever got into the industry, nobody would ever have me design female characters, because I would actually put armor on them. And not just on their shoulders, or hemisphere metal bowls barely covering the nipples...I'd give her goddamn armor, I tell you whut.

Well, she didn't go into battle ... as I give away more of the comic ... she was ambushed, not expecting a battle.

And the armor thing is addressed in the comic as well. I completely understand your thinking, and I'm there with you.

mr0range on
    dvd_banner.jpg
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008

Oh ND... No one will ever draw girls in realistic armor because girls in real armor look the same as dudes in real armor. And whats the point of drawing girlies if you cant show off their ta tas? srsly.

PS: I think your dragon needs horns or spikes or something. As of now, its just a dinosaur with bat wings. I really dig the clean lineart though.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    McGibs wrote: »

PS: I think your dragon needs horns or spikes or something. As of now, its just a dinosaur with bat wings. I really dig the clean lineart though.

Yeah, this is the part I forgot about. I glanced over my original sketched layout and saw various horns and nubs all around. I got caught up in everything else I forgot my own elements and without people saying here, I wouldn't have looked back at it, but now I have, so now I have to go fix it. haha.

mr0range on
    dvd_banner.jpg
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2008
    wait

you're making a comic about Dragons versus Dinosaurs?

holy shit that's awesome

no matter who wins, I got a boner

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    wait

you're making a comic about Dragons versus Dinosaurs?

holy shit that's awesome

no matter who wins, I got a boner

That's the gist, it came out of me and my friend ragging on movies over MSN how no one delivers on what you think is going to happen and it's full of convoluted stories no one cares about ... example: D-Wars ... or other such things. So I said "Fine, I'll make a movie called Dragons vs. Dinosaurs" .. it was a joke for a few days until I started thinking about it and telling some other friends, their first reaction was to think it was stupid, then they'd go quiet for a few minutes, then come back to me. "Y'know, I was thinking, the more I thought about it, Dragons vs Dinosaurs is pretty awesome" .... that's how 50% of all reaction to the book is whenever I mention it.

My one friend was actually going to draw it, but she got hired by DC to do comics ... so ... I had to buckle down and draw it myself.

mr0range on
    dvd_banner.jpg
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2008
    hey now, dragonwars had some pretty cool scenes

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    hey now, dragonwars had some pretty cool scenes

I'm just saying ... the movie is called Dragon Wars ... you kind of expect something. Not 80% talking and 2 dragon scenes.

Reign of Fire had also come up in the conversation. Basically I said, let's just throw Dinosaurs into the mix.

At one point it was going to be episodic where the catch phrase while planning a battle was "that's so crazy -- it just might work".

Anyhow, since I can't make movies or TV shows, I had to make a comic.

mr0range on
    dvd_banner.jpg
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Are the humans monstrously big or are the dragons and dinosaurs incredibly small? The terradactyl isn't much bigger than her axe.

Awesome line work!

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Well, I'm guessing you mean the pterodactyl right by the axe? it's further in the background. Maybe I need to do something to emphasize that? I thought it was obvious, but maybe not, maybe I need some thicker lines around her and the axe. And to talk more about the comic - the dragons are different sizes depending on their "owners" from the summoning ritual.

There is also more than one sized pterosaur, that's why there's a guy in the background riding one, which is (obviously an artistic liberty) based on the largest pterosaur discovered. And the snub-nosed one is based of another variety - again, with a little artistic license.

mr0range on
    dvd_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    No I mean the one in front of the dragons mouth. The other one is fine.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Mustang wrote: »
    No I mean the one in front of the dragons mouth. The other one is fine.

Pterodactylus has roughly a 3 foot wingspan .... but, upon looking up my reference, that's not exactly how they looked - seems I drew the wrong one (a Pteranodon like the others) my bad - I thought they had the same look, just one was smaller - seems not so. I may have to redraw that one to fit the species.

wow, I can't get nothing by you guys.

mr0range on
    dvd_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Yeah I totally knew you'd drawn the wrong species.
    *whispers to the rest of the forum*
    Do you guys know what a Pterodacylus is?

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Okay, small and larger changes. Changed the Pterodactylus. other fixes like making the dragon more dragonny ... not perfectly happy with it, I'll step it up with the next dragon that shows up. The color will help differentiate it. other subtle stuff you may or may not notice.

pg23_301.jpg

and just for comparison ... here's my first first attempt at this double splash a couple months ago.

pg2-3old.jpg

oh, and for kicks. Here's what I drew a year ago.

dvd_paint.jpg

oh and for more kicks, here's the logo to the comic ... which may also change.

dvd_logo.jpg

mr0range on
    dvd_banner.jpg
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Love the lighting on the year old drawing.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I concur, would love to see that coloured and that dragon girl is so sexy I would touch myself if I wasn't at work...
    *looks around the office*
    Arghhh what the hell
    *rub rub rub*

Mustang on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The logo should probably change, it looks a bit too cartoony, and the text is too varied.

The other work though, is really great.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    The logo should probably change, it looks a bit too cartoony, and the text is too varied.

The other work though, is really great.

lol i found this comment really funny since it's a logo for a comic...

beavotron on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Damn it, Beav, when will you take the issue of dino-on-dragon violence seriously?!

... But I agree the logo is kinda naff.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    ooh-kay

note to self: definitely have a look at the logo revision.

Man, if I didn't post here, I wouldn't be changing any of this ... I don't know what that means, either it was helpful or I'm easily swayed by the masses.

mr0range on
    dvd_banner.jpg
  • Options
    CyberMonkeytron3000CyberMonkeytron3000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    THIS IDEA CAN NOT POSSIBLY FAIL!!!!!

CyberMonkeytron3000 on
  • Options
    The LittleMan In The BoatThe LittleMan In The Boat Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    THIS IDEA CAN NOT POSSIBLY FAIL!!!!!

The LittleMan In The Boat on
    yerf.jpg
    I don't suffer from Insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    dragons, dinosaurs and sideboob?

son, you got yourself a best seller on your hands.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    holy kamoly! the latest update looks friggen great.

Asamof the Horrible on
  • Options
    The Man with No NameThe Man with No Name __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    It still troubles me that your dragons still don't look enough like dragons.

They look like dinosaurs with wings, and a couple of spikey bits. They don't have traditional elements people associate with dragons such as serpent like body frames, longer skinnier pointed jaws, and most dragons are typically quadrupods not bipedal, which your drawings seem to imply by the shape of the hands.

Its possible to come up with your own style for a dragon without making it look too much like a dinosaur. There are many styles of dragons already throughout history, but they all have basic dragon features in common.

European dragons
    Big%20Green%20Dragon.jpg

Chinese dragons
    Chinese-Dragon-Green-23-large.jpg

Welsh Dragons
    dragon.jpg

Wyverns
    wyvern.jpg

The key thing to keep in mind is dragons are serpents, not merely dinosaurs with wings. If you don't draw with this consideration, you run the risk of simply making a comic that is about dinosaurs fighting some other guys who may or may not be dinosaurs. Anatomy anatomy anatomy.

The Man with No Name on
    :whistle:
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    While I normally base my dragons off of what you're suggesting TMwNN. They are dragons (mythical creatures... or I mean.. TOTALLY REAL), if his look more like dinosaurs more power to him in my opinion.

I've always liked the idea of dragons originating from dinosaurs anyways, makes it seem more like they could have existed.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    [edit]

that was way too many words.

I'll simply draw my dragons, and if you like them, that's great, and if you don't ... I don't mind.

But I will put thought into what you've said. Now to get on with my pages.

mr0range on
    dvd_banner.jpg