As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tycho Brahe Asteroid

ZzzaxxZzzaxx Registered User new member
edited June 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
I wanted to alert you all of this and possibly get some more info about it

so far I've found that the Tycho Brahe Asteroid, named for the astronomer for which PA's Tycho is named, will be passing by earth at it's closest point at a minuscule 121,772,213 miles. I was wondering if it would be visible with a relatively inexpensive telescope.

Zzzaxx on

• Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited June 2008
    I don't know, how big/bright is the fucker? 100 million miles is fucking nothing in the grand scale of astronomical thingies. We can see stars with our naked eyes that are exponentially further out than that.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I don't know what magnitude of telescope you'd need to see it, but here's some good information about it.

Taximes on
  • Options
    JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Zzzaxx wrote: »
    I wanted to alert you all of this and possibly get some more info about it

so far I've found that the Tycho Brahe Asteroid, named for the astronomer for which PA's Tycho is named, will be passing by earth at it's closest point at a minuscule 121,772,213 miles. I was wondering if it would be visible with a relatively inexpensive telescope.

121 million miles is a lot when you're talking about spotting an asteroid, which are very small and dark. I can't find any information about exactly how big it is, but considering that its orbit is well outside that of Mars, you'll need quite a good telescope to see it.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    That depends. How big a nuke are we lighting it up with?

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It depends if we spend our entire budget on Aerosmith and Bruce Willis or not.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It depends if we spend our entire budget on Aerosmith and Bruce Willis or not.

What else is there to spend money on, really?

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Tycho Brahe is such a fun astronomer to read about. Not only was he the most meticilous worker to ever get the grand idea of things so utterly wrong (Despite Tycho having collected all the data, he could not be convinced of heliocentricity by his assistant Kepler), he also is the only astronomer I know of to actually have held a dwarf at his court. And a tame elk.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    SanderJK wrote: »
    Tycho Brahe is such a fun astronomer to read about. Not only was he the most meticilous worker to ever get the grand idea of things so utterly wrong (Despite Tycho having collected all the data, he could not be convinced of heliocentricity by his assistant Kepler), he also is the only astronomer I know of to actually have held a dwarf at his court. And a tame elk.

How could you not mention his metal nose?

Antimatter on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Or his really weird death?

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png