As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

License transfer between 360s

AimAim Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Games and Technology
Looks like you can now move your licenses for games or tv shows to a new xbox:
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemuse/xbox360/licensemigration/

So if your 360 got stolen or you bought a new one you can move all your licenses to the new one and play there offline as much as you want.

Biggest restriction seems to be the once per year part of it.

Aim on

• Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This reminds me that I need to call them again to fix my issue with Streets of Rage. When I launch the game its still only a trial, even though I purchased the Full game and it appears full from the dashboard. I've called them once already and they never called me back to correct it as they told me they would. I'm not surprised such a small issue would require multiple phone calls.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    WetsunWetsun Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Does this transfer all licenses, or do you pick and choose what to transfer?

Wetsun on
    XBL/Steam: Wetsun
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Wetsun wrote: »
    Does this transfer all licenses, or do you pick and choose what to transfer?

It seems to be all or nothing.

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This reminds me that I need to call them again to fix my issue with Streets of Rage. When I launch the game its still only a trial, even though I purchased the Full game and it appears full from the dashboard. I've called them once already and they never called me back to correct it as they told me they would. I'm not surprised such a small issue would require multiple phone calls.

Are you connected to Live when it does this? Which machine did you purchase it from?

This tool might fix your issue.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ah once per yer, dammit!

I was all excited to be able to go to my friends house, transfer my rock band songs over - play all nite - go home, transfer them back.

Suckfest.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Speak of the devil. I'm going to buy a new 360 console today (just got paid for my Asian 360) and this comes out the same day. Excellent.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Ah once per yer, dammit!

I was all excited to be able to go to my friends house, transfer my rock band songs over - play all nite - go home, transfer them back.

Suckfest.

You can still do that.

When you're at his, recover your account (or better, take it on a memory card). Sign in and redownload the songs while on your account for free. They'll work as long as you're signed into Live. Once you recover your account at home/take your memory card out, he won't be able to play them, bbt they'll be there for you to play next time you're round.

Willeth on
  • Options
    h8b1llg8tsh8b1llg8ts Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Pigback

XBox Live Question:

When I'm playing a game on my oXbox what is my gamer tag showing I'm doing. at the time. for my friends on their 360.

Just Curious.

h8b1llg8ts on
    Coolest Guy I Know
    h8b1llg8ts.gif
    sig.gif
    MAX: Liz I really, really wish that this could be something, you know, more. But it can't. We're just...

LIZ: Different.

VOICE-OVER: It's September 24th, I'm Liz Parker and five days ago I died. But then the really amazing thing happened. I came to life.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    It says what game you're playing, and that's it. No rich presence, but they can see that you're on Halo 2 or Barbie's Horse Adventures or whatever.

Also what the hell is Pigback.

Willeth on
  • Options
    TrevorTrevor Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    My brother had his 360 stolen not too long ago, I think this might have been part of why he hasn't bothered to buy another one. Maybe this'll change his mind.

Trevor on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Willeth wrote: »
    It says what game you're playing, and that's it. No rich presence, but they can see that you're on Halo 2 or Barbie's Horse Adventures or whatever.

Also what the hell is Pigback.

I meant to say piggyback.

Does it show that I'm on my oXbox? Or just like if I'm playing on my 360?

h8b1llg8ts on
    Coolest Guy I Know
    h8b1llg8ts.gif
    sig.gif
    MAX: Liz I really, really wish that this could be something, you know, more. But it can't. We're just...

VOICE-OVER: It's September 24th, I'm Liz Parker and five days ago I died. But then the really amazing thing happened. I came to life.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Well, if you're on your oXbox you'll have a white Xbox logo for your gamerpic and a gamerscore of 0. But no, I don''t think it explicitly says which console.

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Well, if you're on your oXbox you'll have a white Xbox logo for your gamerpic and a gamerscore of 0. But no, I don''t think it explicitly says which console.

Thank you again. I've always wondered that.

h8b1llg8ts on
    Coolest Guy I Know
    h8b1llg8ts.gif
    sig.gif

• Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008

Are you connected to Live when it does this? Which machine did you purchase it from?

IIRC, if you're signed into the correct gamertag and you're on the console that you purchased it on (or a replacement sent back from a service center), the fix is to go to the marketplace tab, account management -> download history, select the game, and choose download again. It's supposed to reset your license to match what MS has on file.

Monger on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    About time this came out.

Looks pretty painless, shame it is only once a year though.

I have some stuff I need to move but I might hold out for the moment, until I really need to use this, since I have no problem connecting to Live when I game, so anything still partially attached to my "old" 360 isn't a problem when I sign in.

A "re-download all" function would be handy, since I have about 500 items to fish through.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Having to redownload everything is a bit annoying (if only because I have so many XBLA games), but the actual DRM transfer process was easy, quick, and painless. Logged onto the website, clicked a couple of buttons, logged into my new console with my Live gamertag and voila!

EDIT: I did notice something odd. After transferring the DRM, my gamertag says that the last game I played was Eets: Chowdown, a game I don't actual own (although I did try the demo many months ago; seemed like a moderately fun game).

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I just did this, and re-downloaded everything.
    Finally, I can play games when the internet is down. Really was that ever too much to ask for?

Smashism on
  • Options
    Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I just finished. I hope all the console makers follow suit. Perfect fix and almost painless. =)

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Considering that I had to buy a new hard drive, and I have my gamertag on a memory card for when I head over to a friend's house, I REALLY needed this so I can play stuff at my gf's (she doesn't have internet so I can't play certain things like Still Alive and Judas Priest in Rock Band).

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Hm..apparently I can't redownload the 2 J-Pop levels for Lumines Live. They're just not on the download history or Lumines Live download list. :(

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, I can't redownload "Dream On" for GH3 either since it's no longer offered. I don't play much GH3 but free is free.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Nocren wrote: »
    Considering that I had to buy a new hard drive, and I have my gamertag on a memory card for when I head over to a friend's house, I REALLY needed this so I can play stuff at my gf's (she doesn't have internet so I can't play certain things like Still Alive and Judas Priest in Rock Band).

Just be careful how you use it. Licenses can only be transfered once every 12 months.

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Well, my Xbox is at her place and except for 3 items (all of them Rock Band songs that I wanted NOW but was on a different system) were downloaded onto my home console. So I can play 98% of everything I have, but those tracks are just sitting there... taunting me... and occasionally causing the game to crash.
    (Random setlists in BWT selects an unavailable song, games goes "sorry, you can't play that." and goes back to the BWT screen.)

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hm..apparently I can't redownload the 2 J-Pop levels for Lumines Live. They're just not on the download history or Lumines Live download list. :(

:( I lost mine too. Nobody else notices cause we're the only 2 users to play lumines on live.

Smashism on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

It looks like they fixed the issue, but never called me. I downloaded the game again, as well as my PA theme, and they both work properly now (even offline, as the theme did not.) I'm glad I tried it before investing a half hour in another call.

I wasn't going to waste my usage of this tool for a year on one or two items.

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    This won't work to transfer from oXbox to 360?

h8b1llg8ts on
    Coolest Guy I Know
    h8b1llg8ts.gif
    sig.gif

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    h8b1llg8ts wrote: »
    This won't work to transfer from oXbox to 360?

um, no. This tool is to transfer DRM licenses for content bought on the XBLA, which you cannot do on the oXbox.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Actually, oXbox had an Arcade, limited as it was, and certain games did have DLC.

As far as I am aware though this issue does not exist for oXbox titles.

Willeth on
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Well its nice to get my arcade games back. But the once a year limitation worry's me , 360's aren't exactly dependable .Oh well here is hoping for the best.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Wish I could transfer my old downloaded content like Rainbow Six: BA and Star Wars Battlefront II.

Items I did pay for and still play.

h8b1llg8ts on
    Coolest Guy I Know
    h8b1llg8ts.gif
    sig.gif