As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Supreme Court endorses the personal right to own guns.

The ScribeThe Scribe Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
Many people have a tendency to allow our likes and dislikes to influence our judgment of what is true and false. I am one of these people. I dislike guns. I am alienated from the American gun culture. Men who collect guns they don’t need, and men who go into the woods in order to kill animals are different from me. I don’t particularly like those men.

Nevertheless, I am going to reserve judgment on this Supreme Court decision. As the result of it, many gun control laws will be overturned. Gun ownership is going to increase. My intuition tells me the crime rate will increase. If it does not, or if there is a decrease I will acknowledge that I am mistaken.

If the crime rate increases, and if this increase can be linked to yesterday’s Supreme Court Decision, I would like for the Second Amendment to be repealed. When considering a gun control law the question should be: “What effect will this have on the crime rate?” and not: “Is this law consistent with the Second Amendment?”

The Scribe on

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    First of all we already have a thread on this. Second of all...

The Scribe wrote: »
    As the result of it, many gun control laws will be overturned. Gun ownership is going to increase. My intuition tells me the crime rate will increase.

Man, what? Many gun control laws will be overturned? How many, which ones and where? Also the gun ownership increasing and crime rate increasing are pretty bold statements to make without any sort of evidence submitted to support them.

I'm not pro-gun by any means, but I hate when people make random assertions on any issue.

But mainly, we already have a thread for this.

EDIT: Thaneat'd

Nocturne on
This discussion has been closed.