As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ordering new checks

SakebombSakebomb Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I use Compass, when I went to thier website to order more checks, it redirected me to another website that charges a minimum of $24.95.

I thought checks were supposed to be free?

Sakebomb on

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2008
    Sakebomb wrote: »
    I use Compass, when I went to thier website to order more checks, it redirected me to another website that charges a minimum of $24.95.

I don't know about Compass, but at every bank account I've held checks are not free. For me it was $20 for like... 150 checks, deposit slips, withdrawal slips, a bank balance register, etc.

Organichu on
  • Monolithic_DomeMonolithic_Dome Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    "Free Checking" means they don't charge you any fees on your checking account. I haven't bought checks in years though so I don't know if that's a fair price for the checks themselves.

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CauldCauld Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Organichu wrote: »
    Sakebomb wrote: »

I don't know about Compass, but at every bank account I've held checks are not free. For me it was $20 for like... 150 checks, deposit slips, withdrawal slips, a bank balance register, etc.

at my bank all checks are free. I work at my bank, but I don't think that's why. It's US Bank.

edit: I mean the checks themselves, not fees etc. (there also aren't any fees).

Cauld on
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, my bank charges $25 for checks, but the checking account is free

You might want to go to the bank itself to order them, a lot of times they'll wave the fee if you just talk to them.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I've never had an account with free checks. Most of them will give you a box or book of checks free when you open an account, but after that you typically have to purchase them. $24.95 sounds pretty standard. The place I'm supposed to order them through is around $25-30 depending on the type of check.

Daenris on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    There are some banks with accounts that have free checks, but most don't.

Thanatos on
  • Matt!Matt! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Most new accounts give a free box of checks when you start out, but after that 20-30 bucks is par for the course

Matt! on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ElrosstElrosst Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Pretty sure I have to pay for mine too, but I use a debit card usually, so i dont remember the exact price. 20ish maybe?

Elrosst on
  • adamadam Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I would just get checks with cool designs if you are already paying that much for checks.

adam on
  • DrakmathusDrakmathus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I can get 100 free checks per year from my credit union

Drakmathus on
  • DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I've used something like 25 checks in the last 7 years.

DeShadowC on
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    When I opened an investor checking account with Schwab, they sent me four huge boxes gratis. More checks than I'll ever need, I hope.

Back when I used BofA, the charged about $20 for one box. BofA sucks.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Do you really need checks? I just use my bank card for everything and pay all my bills online except for rent. I just walk into the bank every 3 months and have a few checks printed out to pay rent. Much cheaper that way especially if you don't need or use a lot of checks.

Atlus Parker on
  • UnderdogUnderdog Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    My checks are free. I just order them off the PC Financial site and they mail them to me. It's not every company though, they make customers aware that free checks are one of their perks.

Underdog on
  • NPNP Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm an employee at the bank I use, and I get free checks for that very reason. In fact, they make such a big deal out of that "perk" that we get, that I would assume most of the time you do not get free checks.

NP on
  • Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You only get free checks if that is one of the perks of your bank account. Perk meaning it's added in to some type of service fee. Most free checking account don't give frees checks, the account is just service fee free.

And you don't have to buy checks from the bank or who they direct you to. They are a few companies out there that sell checks that you can use with your bank. I got some Superman check for $15.95.

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
    edited June 2008
    Toxic Toys wrote: »
    You only get free checks if that is one of the perks of your bank account. Perk meaning it's added in to some type of service fee. Most free checking account don't give frees checks, the account is just service fee free.

I don't think that's true. I've already stated my checking account has no fees and also doesn't charge for checks. Just about anyone can get this checking account, I don't think there's any threshold or anything.

Cauld on
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Cauld wrote: »

I don't think that's true. I've already stated my checking account has no fees and also doesn't charge for checks. Just about anyone can get this checking account, I don't think there's any threshold or anything.

I've never heard of a bank giving you checks for free. Anyway, just read your TOS, everything should be in there. If it doesn't say free checks then you don't get them.

VisionOfClarity on
  • DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Yes, but judging from responses here, your account is the exception rather than the norm. Out of curiosity, what bank is your account with?

Daenris on
    edited June 2008
    Daenris wrote: »

Yes, but judging from responses here, your account is the exception rather than the norm. Out of curiosity, what bank is your account with?

My account is with US bank. I'm still not sure if I get the free checks because I'm an employee or not. It's quite possible that's the case.

Cauld on
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2008
    My account is with US bank. I'm still not sure if I get the free checks because I'm an employee or not. It's quite possible that's the case.

I am a bank employee (though with a regular account, I didn't sign up for the "upgraded account for free for employees" thing). At first I was charged for my checks and I went in to a bank with my ID badge on and they credited my account and let me keep the checks.

Organichu on