As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Free game/mod (fps, survival-horror)!

AizawaAizawa Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Games and Technology
Hey peeps..

You might remember that I was looking for a fast paced FPS a while ago. I got painkiller, which is awesome, but anyway..

This time I'm looking for a game this is..

*Survival-horror-ish, survival horror as in resident evil.
*I want to play it and feel that I'm the underdog - I'm the hunted one, the prey.
*Not a linear game, doesn't have to be as open as, say, morrowind.. But not extremely linear..
*A full game (free) or a mod. I have everything hl/2, for example.
*Enemies should be monsters/zombies.. Not humans. (And not robots. God no.)

I guess that's pretty much it.. It doesn't have to be all of the above, but as fitting as possible. Oh, and my computer is a bit old.. I'd say that everything with source graphics that isn't source engine is out of the question. The source engine is kind to my pc.

Any recommendation are appriciated!

(Oh, and, since most good mods for hl2 are dropped in the middle of development, please don't recommend anything that hasn't showed any development in a while or is very far from completion!)

EDIT: Both single player and multiplayer are fine, but I'd rather have co-op then human players vs. zombie players. I've played plenty of those already. Those are not very survival horror-y anyway.

Druid
1801011.png
Please, excuse any socially awkward actions taken by me. I have autism.
Aizawa on

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    What an oddly specific list of requirements. I can't think of anything like that off the top of my head.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'd suggest the System Shock fan remake but that has oodles of robots in it.

emnmnme on
  • AizawaAizawa Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It doesn't have to be like that list, it's just "along the lines of".

And system shock.. Isn't that kinda cyberpunk? I was kind of thinking about something modern, or possibly something along the lines of the HL universe. Can't find the remake anyway.

EDIT: Wont answer for a few hours, but please, if you have a recommendation that's even slightly like what I've said, please post it!

Aizawa on
    Druid
    1801011.png
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2008
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R.!

It's not free. It may run like shit on your computer.

As for the rest, it's got it. Plenty of humans as enemies, but also various mutants. And zombies.

20 bucks on Steam. Played 20 hours in four days, which is pretty much for me.

Echo on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Check out the "Afraid of Monsters" mod for hl1. I found it extremely creepy, the way the enemies move is really disturbing.

-SPI- on
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R.!

It's not free. It may run like shit on your computer.

As for the rest, it's got it. Plenty of humans as enemies, but also various mutants. And zombies.

20 bucks on Steam. Played 20 hours in four days, which is pretty much for me.

Humans are a major enemy.

So this won't work.

BUT YOU SHOULD PLAY IT ANYWAY YOU STUPID PERSON.

MechMantis on
  • MiSTieOtakuMiSTieOtaku Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    What about the Zombie Panic mods for Half-Life 1 and 2? Those are zombie games and they could be considered both about horror and survival.

MiSTieOtaku on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    They Hunger. Sounds about the only thing that hasn't been said.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Check out the "Afraid of Monsters" mod for hl1. I found it extremely creepy, the way the enemies move is really disturbing.

I would recommend this, and the demo version of Penumbra. AoM was scary enough to me that just getting through the intro part without freaking out took a while.

BlueDestiny on
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

I would recommend this, and the demo version of Penumbra. AoM was scary enough to me that just getting through the intro part without freaking out took a while.

Fucking christ almighty this. Unlike most survival-horror games where you just happen to be Johnny Beefcake, recently enrolled in law enforcement and having majored in ass-kicking at university, Penumbra puts you into the shoes of a frightened, weak everyman. Weapons are blunt objects that you actually have to click, and swing the mouse Wiimote style to bonk enemies with. But that'll most likely just piss them off.

Find the original tech-demo from 2006 - the retail demo doesn't give you enough gameplay.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I would recommend just buying the first episode, Overture. Second episode is much much worse because of one incredibly stupid thing that could have been used so much better.

BlueDestiny on
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    BRAINBREAD HL1 MOD
    30th of January is a day to remember: the day of change. It was in the early morning when the chaos started: roaming hordes of bloodthirsty men ran through the city, killing everybody at sight. There were rumours about an army experiment and problems with the nuclear reactor. By 12 a.m., half of the city's population was part of the cannibal horde, about a thousand were killed in car accidents and by gunshots from personal firearms. U.S. Army forces moved into the city to rescue as many as possible. They soon had to realize that the only way to stop the cannibal hordes was to shoot them. Tanks entered the city and killed hundreds. At the same time Black Hawk squads searched for survivors. Survivors like you...

ITS LIKE EVERY FUCK AWESOME ZOMBIE MOVIE EVER (there is a winchester map from shaun of the dead, the mall from dawn etc etc.)

AND YOU LEVEL UP AND SHIT WITH SERVER SAVING EXP. ITS AWESOME.

Brainbread website is here

Brainbread Source is also apparently coming out some time before the actual zombie apocalypse hopefully.

heaven_gate1.jpg
    heaven_gate5.jpg

OHHH JEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAINNSSSSSSsssssssssssss

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Penumbra: Overture

It's not really free, but you can try the demo out. Even just the demo is fun.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008

AoM is criminally dark - the HL flashlight is wholly unsuited to navigating most of the game - but is still one of the scariest games I've ever played. The intro level is extremely well done, and the whole thing has this creepy dreamlike feel to it. The fact that it was all made by one guy is pretty impressive.

As long as we're talking HL mods, Heart of Evil was suitably messed-up, basically taking Apocalypse Now almost line-for-line and adding zombies. You still have to fight humans, but things get progressively weirder as you go. And by 'progressively weirder' I mean 'Hideo Kojima couldn't make this shit up.' Zombies tend to take a lot of punishment and there are a couple puzzles that are just irritating, but on the whole it's pretty well made.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • UpfishUpfish Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I've been wanting to play AoM for a while, and I just got to downloading it. However, I don't know how to get it to show up in Steam, or indeed run at all. Mods are supposed to show up in the "My Games" tab, no?
    I installed it, it went to the steamapps directory, but it isn't on the list.
    I also installed it to my nonSteam copy of Half Life, but I have no idea how to run mods that way. Any idea what's going on?

Upfish on
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Penumbra: Overture

It's not really free, but you can try the demo out. Even just the demo is fun.
    Is there a way to remove having to swing weapons in Penumbra and make it just clicking instead?

tofu on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    System Shock 2. Sure it's cyberpunk and has some robots. Don't think that crap won't scare you.

Bioshock? Pssht, babies toy. This is the real stuff.

subedii on
  • AizawaAizawa Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Thanks for all the replies!

Aizawa on
    Druid
    1801011.png
  • ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Stolls wrote: »

AoM is criminally dark - the HL flashlight is wholly unsuited to navigating most of the game - but is still one of the scariest games I've ever played. The intro level is extremely well done, and the whole thing has this creepy dreamlike feel to it. The fact that it was all made by one guy is pretty impressive.

As long as we're talking HL mods, Heart of Evil was suitably messed-up, basically taking Apocalypse Now almost line-for-line and adding zombies. You still have to fight humans, but things get progressively weirder as you go. And by 'progressively weirder' I mean 'Hideo Kojima couldn't make this shit up.' Zombies tend to take a lot of punishment and there are a couple puzzles that are just irritating, but on the whole it's pretty well made.

This one looks so much better though, it's also a remake, Heart of Evl: Napalm Edition ;-)

Impersonator on
  • MMANMMAN Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    tofu wrote: »
    Is there a way to remove having to swing weapons in Penumbra and make it just clicking instead?

There's a config tweak you can do to make the choice for mouse-click weapon swings appear in the menu, but I don't have it installed right now so I can't check what it is.

Whatever profile file it's in I'm pretty sure it's quite self-explanatory.

MMAN on
  • AmphetamineAmphetamine Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Brainbread is pretty great for a HL1 mod. Feels kind of dated today though.

If you wanna drop like $20, get Condemned. Most terrifying game I've played solely because it's so unpredictable. It's really linear but you don't notice because you're too busy being chased by murderous hobos through subways.

Amphetamine on
  • ACSISACSIS Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Eye of the Beholder (Amiga, abandonware)
    Dungeon Hack (PC, abandonware)
    Dungon Crawl (PC, free)
    Nethack (a lot of systems, free)
    Buck Rodgers Countdown to Doomsday (okay, has robots in it, but only a few, abandonware)
    Another World (Amiga, abandonware)
    Dwarfen Fortress (PC, free)
    Abuse (lotsa systems, free ?)
    Alien (C64 adventure version... it has an android wich is randomized in the crew and WILL backstab you, tho, abandonware)
    Lost Labyrinth (PC, free)
    Weird Dreams (PC&Amiga, abandonware)
    Alien Syndrome (Arcade)
    Aliens (Arcade)
    Metal Slug I-V (Arcade)

ACSIS on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    BRAINBREAD HL1 MOD
    30th of January is a day to remember: the day of change. It was in the early morning when the chaos started: roaming hordes of bloodthirsty men ran through the city, killing everybody at sight. There were rumours about an army experiment and problems with the nuclear reactor. By 12 a.m., half of the city's population was part of the cannibal horde, about a thousand were killed in car accidents and by gunshots from personal firearms. U.S. Army forces moved into the city to rescue as many as possible. They soon had to realize that the only way to stop the cannibal hordes was to shoot them. Tanks entered the city and killed hundreds. At the same time Black Hawk squads searched for survivors. Survivors like you...

ITS LIKE EVERY FUCK AWESOME ZOMBIE MOVIE EVER (there is a winchester map from shaun of the dead, the mall from dawn etc etc.)

AND YOU LEVEL UP AND SHIT WITH SERVER SAVING EXP. ITS AWESOME.

Brainbread website is here

Brainbread Source is also apparently coming out some time before the actual zombie apocalypse hopefully.

heaven_gate1.jpg
    heaven_gate5.jpg

OHHH JEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAINNSSSSSSsssssssssssss

Fuck yeah! Brainbread is damn awesome!

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    subedii wrote: »
    System Shock 2. Sure it's cyberpunk and has some robots. Don't think that crap won't scare you.

Bioshock? Pssht, babies toy. This is the real stuff.

Yeah, there are some robots. And they'll scare the shit out of you anyway.

The rest were humans or animals, but now they're something else. Something far worse.

GO PLAY SS2 RIGHT NOW

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    When I read the first two requirements, I thought "Manhunt, fuck yeah", but then you moved away from it. It's not free either, so it doesn't qualify. It is the best example of modern survival horror that I know of, however.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Woah, how had I never heard of Brainbread before?!

Arrath on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2008
    meatflower wrote: »
    The rest were humans or animals, but now they're something else. Something far worse.

YOUR SONG IS NOT OURS

Echo on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    meatflower wrote: »

YOUR SONG IS NOT OURS

Some people think that monkeys are humorous. That they are cute little primates.

These people have NOT played System Shock 2.

subedii on