As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

When to bother with contacting insurance?

EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Due to a brief lapse in attention, when pulling out of a parking lot last week, I accidentally hit a car behind me, dinging his door. He called me with an estimate the other day, saying it would be about $600 or so. Based on similar accidents I had or received, that sounded about right.

I'm wondering, though, if it's better to cut him a check or contact my insurance company (Farmers.) The latter would be cheaper, but it could also raise my rates. Has anyone had experience with this sort of thing, and if so, how much of a rate increase and a deductible am I talking about here? If I do go the insurance route, I'll probably have to do so in the next couple of days, since I have to pay this guy back pretty soon.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
EmperorSeth on

• DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm guessing for that amount it would be better for you financially in the long run to pay out of pocket.

Deusfaux on
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    That's what I assumed the last few times myself, but I wanted to check with someone with more experience in dealing with insurance first anyway.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Pay for it. Your deductible is probably 500 bucks, so in the long run you will probably save thousands if they decide to jack up your rate. Worst case scenario, you pay 100 bucks more, but you sleep better at night knowing youre not going to get screwed over.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.