As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is there a way of uninstalling WMP on Vista?

ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
Shouldn't this be illegal in some way? o_O

Impersonator on

• Options
    ZellZell Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Considering there's versions of Vista released without it, then yeah I would say it's very possible. Why would you want to though?

Zell on
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I think he wants to remove every not-quite-essential app from Vista for some reason.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    ZellZell Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I would just figure out what files related to WMP uses hdd space and delete those. Vista just requires you to take ownership of system files (through editing security settings for the files, if this sounds like rocket science to you, just give up on uninstalling WMP) and not go through the annoying system file protection XP had.

I really doubt it's a good idea that's remotely worth the space you'll save though.

Zell on
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    LaCabra wrote: »
    I think he wants to remove every not-quite-essential app from Vista for some reason.

:lol:

Nah, it's just that I don't need it and I've always got a problem with the mfpmp, it just stacks the same process over and over again and when I try to shutdown my laptop I have to press the power button, yeah I know, it's strange

But since it's that much complicated then I'll just leave as it is, thanks for the help guys :)

Impersonator on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    LaCabra wrote: »

vLite is basically designed for this. You will probably need to reinstall Windows, but you can do so with as little extraneous crap as possible.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    How the hell would WMP being in Vista be illegal? Are you restricted from installing any other media players? Are you restricted from playing media with other ones?

Why do you want to uninstall it? It takes up little space and it's not intrusive at all.

squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    squirly wrote: »
    How the hell would WMP being in Vista be illegal? Are you restricted from installing any other media players? Are you restricted from playing media with other ones?

In general a corporation isn't supposed to leverage a monopoly in one product to obtain a new and exciting monopoly on a completely different product, which is why the U.S. DoJ (among other governmental agencies) has been breathing down Microsoft's neck for, what, ten years now? In Europe Microsoft was required to distribute a version of Windows without the media player.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Fair enough but what exactly is wrong with WMP being included with Windows? What about Notepad/Wordpad? Is MS trying to create a monopoly in that market or are they just including other basic software with their OS?

MS has done some things wrong and continues to do so but the EU seems to have some greater biff with MS.

squirly on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Fair enough but what exactly is wrong with WMP being included with Windows? What about Notepad/Wordpad? Is MS trying to create a monopoly in that market or are they just including other basic software with their OS?

MS has done some things wrong and continues to do so but the EU seems to have some greater biff with MS.

WMP being in Windows depresses the market for other media players in the same way that bundling IE makes it impossible to sell a web browser. Notepad, Wordpad, and Paint, unlike WMP and IE, are half-assed bullshit: nobody in their right mind would claim that Notepad is a fully-featured text editor.

That's the legal theory, anyway. I agree that it isn't a big deal but it really is irritating that Microsoft won't let you uninstall them.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I've always been curious about that, has Apple ever gotten in legal trouble for the same things? They bundle applications in with their OS.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    DHS Odium wrote: »
    I've always been curious about that, has Apple ever gotten in legal trouble for the same things? They bundle applications in with their OS.

Apple doesn't have a monopoly, so no.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »

WMP being in Windows depresses the market for other media players in the same way that bundling IE makes it impossible to sell a web browser. Notepad, Wordpad, and Paint, unlike WMP and IE, are half-assed bullshit: nobody in their right mind would claim that Notepad is a fully-featured text editor.

That's the legal theory, anyway. I agree that it isn't a big deal but it really is irritating that Microsoft won't let you uninstall them.
    It doesn't make it impossible, it makes it hard. For one to sell a browser it would have to be amazing. IE aside, who would actually pay for a browser?? Same with a text editor (Who claimed Notepad is a full-featured text editor?)..

squirly on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »

It doesn't make it impossible, it makes it hard. For one to sell a browser it would have to be amazing. IE aside, who would actually pay for a browser?? Same with a text editor (Who claimed Notepad is a full-featured text editor?)..

Man, I'm just explaining the theory that these governments are working from, I didn't say I agreed with it.

Although people used to spend actual money for browsers (Netscape and Opera used to cost money, remember) and in fact still do for platforms other than the PC. And text editors, too. I mean, all an IDE really is, when you break it down, is a specialized text editor and a compiler.

Daedalus on