As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

• Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2006
    Vegan wrote:
    Well damn. People should release the manual ahead of time intentionally, since this is really making me want the game. :P

I think it's one of the best ways to tell whether a game will be good or not. I mean, if it matters to you what the gameplay is like. They really should make manuals public.

the original Perfect Dark's manual was so horrible, because they spent so much time making the game awesome that they quite literally didn't know up until they sent it to be printed what features would be in the game.

So PD's manual is pretty much "here are the controls, it has single player and multiplayer, here's some character bios, done". Like, 5 pages long.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Contact! is the secret
    It's the moment when everything happens

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    FyreWulff wrote:
    Vegan wrote:
    Well damn. People should release the manual ahead of time intentionally, since this is really making me want the game. :P

I think it's one of the best ways to tell whether a game will be good or not. I mean, if it matters to you what the gameplay is like. They really should make manuals public.

the original Perfect Dark's manual was so horrible, because they spent so much time making the game awesome that they quite literally didn't know up until they sent it to be printed what features would be in the game.

So PD's manual is pretty much "here are the controls, it has single player and multiplayer, here's some character bios, done". Like, 5 pages long.

That beats the manual for MGS3 Subsistence.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    am i the only person that lives in a part of the world where i can get this company's games without pre-ordering?

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    Animal SpiritsAnimal Spirits Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    PatboyX wrote:
    am i the only person that lives in a part of the world where i can get this company's games without pre-ordering?
    I preordered out of fear.

Amazon says I should get it in about a week. It this incorrect?

Animal Spirits on
    wiisnake2jj0.jpg
  • Options
    Eight RooksEight Rooks Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I would probably pre-order if I had any money. :P As it is, fingers crossed all the copies haven't vanished from the US once I do.

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

Read my book. (It has a robot in it.)
  • Options
    Disco BanditDisco Bandit Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    What were the Japanese reviews like?

Disco Bandit on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5412 9146 7564
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Famitsu really liked it, didn't they?

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

• Options
    inthegrayinthegray Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    famitsu - 33/40

inthegray on
  • Options
    ViragoVirago Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    After reading the box copy, the manual and the IGN preview, I have to ask: Has anyone heard about a strategy guide for Contact? It seems like there's going to be a lot of stuff you can--but don't have to--do, and a guide would be really helpful for that sort of thing. On the second playthrough, of course. :wink:

I suppose I could find it all online, but if an official guide was written by the same people who put together the box and the manual, it would be a fun read in addition to an informative one, and would pretty much guarantee that I'd buy it.

Virago on
    Wii Code: 0197 8429 8440 7009.
    (PM if you add me so I know to reciprocate. Thanks!)
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Even though I never do so, I would probably buy a strategy guide because it would be hilarious just to read.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2006
    Getting information from the DS Thread, it has a target release now of October 2006 :(

But, the Official Site is up, and looks great. Check it out.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Son of a bitch.

ronzo on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2006
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    Getting information from the DS Thread, it has a target release now of October 2006 :(

Wait, it's already out in Japan, right? So why would they delay the US launch? Surely translating isn't that time consuming, and it seems pure folly to release right in the midst of this fall gaming season. A game like this, that's a sure way to guarantee failure.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Harlingtox ADHarlingtox AD Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Rorus Raz wrote:

Wait, it's already out in Japan, right? So why would they delay the US launch? Surely translating isn't that time consuming, and it seems pure folly to release right in the midst of this fall gaming season. A game like this, that's a sure way to guarantee failure.
    It sold 25K in Japan. The expectations can't be too high in America.

Harlingtox AD on
    wwintroxo6.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    European boxart?

B000G7PLKG.01._SS400_SCLZZZZZZZ_V59851996_.jpg

:?

No solid release date yet, but I heard some reviews are starting to come in.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Now that's some bad cover art there.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Animal SpiritsAnimal Spirits Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Welcome back Contact thread!

The delay infuriates me, not least because Amazon still estimates that I GOT IT LAST WEEK.

Animal Spirits on
    wiisnake2jj0.jpg
  • Options
    Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    The back cover art posted on the first page basically demands an immediate purchase from me. I was always going to grab this ASAP since I am Atlus' whore but after reading the OP's solid description and seeing the tone it's going for I'm sold beyond sold.

Also the official site is delightful and fun for the whole family.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • Options
    atf487atf487 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Why did this game do so badly in Japan?

And it got decent reviews in EGM

atf487 on
    ATF360.png
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    European boxart?

Wow it might be the first time I prefer the US boxart to imported ones.

solsovly on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    solsovly wrote:
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    European boxart?

Wow it might be the first time I prefer the US boxart to imported ones.

That cover is rad.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I don't hate that cover. The key issue, however, is whether or not the back of the box is the same as the US box.

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2006
    Yeah, it's a better front than the US one.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    I'm hearing that October 10th is the new release date. Gamespot has updated their site to reflect this, but IGN still has September 19th. The official site is no help, still displaying the vague "October 2006".

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Si SenorSi Senor Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    atf487 wrote:

that's what i'd like to know, too. also, some of the art on the bottom screen is gorgeous.

EDIT: why does game terry look so unlike terry on the box? game terry has brown, almost red, non-spikey hair.

Si Senor on
    sigging2.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    My guess is it had to compete with FF3 in Japan.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    atf487 wrote:

that's what i'd like to know, too. also, some of the art on the bottom screen is gorgeous.

Were the Earthbound games actually big hits back in the day, rather than merely cult favourites with the sort of people who read this forum? Just curious.

Also, I prefer the US art. The European isn't bad, but just feels a bit... cluttered... and that logo really doesn't fit. It looks like some sort of 1980s throwback, only it doesn't suit the sprites of the Professor anything like as much as the artist probably thinks it does. :P

Eight Rooks on

• Options
    edited September 2006
    Ladies and gentlemen, Nintendo.com says October 17th, 2006 for the release date.

We may have a winner.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    MarvellousMMarvellousM United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    EBGames.com says 10/17 for the ship date, they're rarely wrong as long as they're not first of the month placeholder dates.

MarvellousM on
  • Options
    Blitz RawketBlitz Rawket Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    If 10/17 is the ship date, then it probably doesn't actually "release" until the day after.

Blitz Rawket on
  • Options
    Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    It will most likely be released on the 18th, then. Goddamn we're so close! WiFi Island, here I come.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    defrag wrote:
    It will most likely be released on the 18th, then. Goddamn we're so close! WiFi Island, here I come.
    WiFi Island? Are you also going to buy Nintendo Dogs? ;)

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    gilrain wrote:
    defrag wrote:
    WiFi Island? Are you also going to buy Nintendo Dogs? ;)

http://www.atlus.com/contact/wifi.html

Sorry, WiFisland. :roll:

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    edit - NM - I am an idiot.

For some reason I was under the impression that this was still coming out tomorrow, and then I got really sad when I saw the updated release dates. I guess it's been so long since this thread was around that I totally forgot we already knew it had been pushed back another week.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    EXCITEMENT FOR GAME MOUNTING

CORE BREACH OF HYPE ENGINE IMMINENT

So Oct. 17th is still what we're expecting? I've been away for a bit, so I haven't been keeping tabs on everything.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Oct 17/18 seems to be the "generally agreed upon by online sources" release date, but my GS opened a binder containg printed paper that referenced the 11th. I will be surprised if I get a call tomorrow.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Oct 17/18 seems to be the "generally agreed upon by online sources" release date, but my GS opened a binder containg printed paper that referenced the 11th. I will be surprised if I get a call tomorrow.
    I called the GS where I have my preorder and they told me it'll be in on the 18th, so I'll be waiting with bated breath. It'll be nice to have a meatier, longer single-player game for the DS.

Lunker on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2006
    EBGames.com says 10/17 for the ship date, they're rarely wrong as long as they're not first of the month placeholder dates.

Barring a nuclear holocaust, Atlus promised me it will release on the 17th.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Gamestop now has Oct. 19th listed as the ship date. It's only two days later than the original date, but still. :(

I don't want the lack of a DS thread to let this gem of a game slip by. You will buy it and you will love it!!!!!!

Lunker on