As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Movie Release Awareness for July '08

GimGim a tall glass of waterRegistered User regular
edited July 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
Bah. Delete.

Gim on

• Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Drama.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    Somebody needs to let Will Ferrel know he's not funny anymore.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Damn it all.

Gim on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2008
    How embarrassing.

Anyway, I'm now up to the bit in the archives where the news-posts weren't lost, so I'm going to start posting bits of those, also.

Tycho wrote:
    Okay, so here's the strip. Since our survey has revealed that many of you play videogames on occasion, I'm assuming you might already have seen the Halo 2 trailer. It's cool enough I guess, it doesn't show so much as a frame of gameplay, but like candles or Clarence Carter it gets you in the mood. It got me thinking about Halo.

We didn't play through the end of the single player in Halo so much as we were subjected to it. Subjugated by it. I mean, we were invested by that point. When they made us play back through the whole game, yea, even unto the first level, it had become farcical. Was it a sublime parody? I asked myself. Did they subvert the assumptions of the FPS genre or, uh, something? I don't believe so. We were contacted by Bungie employees - using their home addresses, of course - who agreed with our assertion that the campaign was a failure.

That was a really long time ago, and I couldn't pretend to be filled with rage about something like that anymore. If there was anything wrong with the original Halo, I don't even think Bungie had much to do with it. Clearly, the game had to launch with the system - the game was purchased by Microsoft to move consoles. They had great multiplayer, possibly the best in a console FPS, about six hours of extraordinary action in the single player, and it was decided at some level by someone external to the studio that they needed more than that. To my mind, there is no other explanation - let alone excuse - for the nearly infinite repetition of content. So, in the absence of time, they had this one kind of twisty room you could go through over and over, and then go back through, literally adding days of playtime, only you played it with a claw hammer, pounding on your television and forehead, asking God why the righteous are made to suffer. I don't think creative people had anything to do with that decision. And I think of Bungie as being staffed by creative people.

That's why I have such faith where Halo 2 is concerned. I mean, the first one sold more than a million Goddamn copies, the sequel to it is as much of a sure thing as you can have in this industry. I like to think that a flock of randy accountants won't be contacted to fuck this one in the ass. What's more, the things I (and perhaps you) expected from the original Halo - pitched Multiplayer battles between ragged bands of Covenant and Humanity, via robust Internet support - is there in Halo 2. Shit, it will be better than that, with full voice support and God knows what else. So, I love Bungie again. And I'm sorry for hitting them. And even though it might be weird, I hope they can come to my birthday party in February.

20020906h.gif

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.