As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Problems with Xbox 360 Wireless Adaptor (see post #11)

oddmentoddment Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Hi there,

I recentley moved house, and got BT Broadband set up here, with the cool little Home Hub thingy. Everything is wireless except for my BT Vision box, which must be plugged into the Home Hub at all times and my friends computer which has no wireless adaptor. This means both ethernet ports on the hub are taken.
I really want to get my Xbox 360 back on Live, but getting a wireless adaptor is expensive, so instead I thought I would connect the 360 to my PC using ethernet, and sharing the internet connection through there. However, while following the instructions found here for Internet Connection Sharing, I discovered that when going into advanced properties for the connection to the broadband, there is no box to tick for internet connection sharing. This box does appear for the connection between my xbox and computer, but clicking it doesn't do anything.
When testing the network settings from my 360, it can tell there is a wired connection, but cannot find an IP address. I am stuck now, and don't know what else I can do to proceed and get this to work! Can anyone help me at all?

PSN Sig Hidden Within!*
oddment84.png
*Thanks Thanatos!
oddment on

• Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The 360 detects a wired connection very basically. It knows there is an ethernet plug at both ends and that they're both plugged in.

Can you not shift-select the two connections, right-click, and click 'bridge'?

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Nope, nothing happens there either. I have a feeling the Home Hub doesn't want me to connect this way, but its either this or shell out £60 for the wireless adaptor. Grrr....

oddment on
    PSN Sig Hidden Within!*
    oddment84.png
    *Thanks Thanatos!
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I picked up my adaptor for £30 from CEX. Good deal if you can find it.

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I'm heading over to town shortly, so will check in our CEX. May be worth it.

oddment on
    PSN Sig Hidden Within!*
    oddment84.png
    *Thanks Thanatos!
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Manchester CEX apparently have some, but they're £48 each now. :(

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Haha, yeah... just came back and I noticed. It's impossible to find them for under £45 anywhere now. It's just ridiculous.

oddment on
    PSN Sig Hidden Within!*
    oddment84.png
    *Thanks Thanatos!
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    You could look into a wireless bridge, maybe?

Willeth on
  • Options
    AbsenceofLightAbsenceofLight Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You could buy a cheap 5 port switch and run the second ethernet port on the broadband to it. Connect your friends computer and your Xbox to the switch.

AbsenceofLight on
    Possessed+Shell.png
  • Options
    SinterSinter Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I would suggest buying a small 4/5 port switch as well.

I tried to do this exact thing about a month ago: Use the second LAN port on my PC to share the connection out to my 360. The reason it fails has to do with the MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit) setting in your network card. I don't recall all the specifics that I encountered, but in the end, I was forced to find a different way (I literally just purchased a 5-port switch yesterday).

Hope this helps, and if not, a switch is definitely the way to go.

Sinter on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Well, through some trade-ins, I managed to get hold of a wireless adaptor. It connects to the Home Hub and all that, however (nothing ever runs smoothly for me!), it is running at a snails pace. Things take hours to download where they used to take minutes. I haven't tried playing a game over Live with the adaptor yet (mainly as my Gold subscription ran out, and I can't afford a new one just yet), but if demos and DLC are taking this long to download, it doesn't bode well for playing games. Does anyone know why it might be running this slowly? It says that the signal strength is excellent (all bars full)... I don't understand it! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

oddment on
    PSN Sig Hidden Within!*
    oddment84.png
    *Thanks Thanatos!
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    NAT settings maybe? You should always have your NAT set to Open on a network the 360 connects to.

Willeth on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The Home Hub's wireless chipset isn't the best, from what I've read anyway. There's a reason BT don't take them back if they break. Because they really don't give a shit about their customers. They used GPL code at one point whilst refusing to give out the source code bundle.
    If you're finding that your wireless connection is intermittent, slow or getting occasional disconnects - try the following suggestions:

* Could you be on the edge of reception? Wi-fi has a limited range, and walls, doors, radiators, etc can all reduce range. If you're on the edge of reception, you may not be getting enough signal. Try repositioning the Hub away from obstructions especially metal. Also, try repositioning the Hub's aerial, and changing the height-from-ground. If you're on the edge of signal, consider a wi-fi extender.
    * Channels: You may find that some other wi-fi equipment close by (perhaps a neighbour's Wi-fi) could be on the same wi-fi channel, clashing with your Hub's wi-fi channel. There are 13 wi-fi channels available. Perhaps change the default channel.
    * Interference? Could you have a lot of electrical interference either close to the Hub or at the receiver end. Having the Hub or Wi-fi receiver close to a TV, computer monitor or mains cabling can cause interference. Experiment with moving the Home Hub to another location.
    * Security - Any chance someone's got into your system and is stealing your bandwidth? Make sure you have a decent level of Wi-fi security enabled
    * As a last resort, try either connecting to the Home Hub directly using an Ethernet cable, or look at using a HomePlug.
    http://www.frequencycast.co.uk/homehubfaq.html

My parents have one and I have to reset it remotely nearly every day.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    The Home Hub's wireless chipset isn't the best, from what I've read anyway. There's a reason BT don't take them back if they break. Because they really don't give a shit about their customers. They used GPL code at one point whilst refusing to give out the source code bundle.
    If you're finding that your wireless connection is intermittent, slow or getting occasional disconnects - try the following suggestions:

* Could you be on the edge of reception? Wi-fi has a limited range, and walls, doors, radiators, etc can all reduce range. If you're on the edge of reception, you may not be getting enough signal. Try repositioning the Hub away from obstructions especially metal. Also, try repositioning the Hub's aerial, and changing the height-from-ground. If you're on the edge of signal, consider a wi-fi extender.
    * Channels: You may find that some other wi-fi equipment close by (perhaps a neighbour's Wi-fi) could be on the same wi-fi channel, clashing with your Hub's wi-fi channel. There are 13 wi-fi channels available. Perhaps change the default channel.
    * Interference? Could you have a lot of electrical interference either close to the Hub or at the receiver end. Having the Hub or Wi-fi receiver close to a TV, computer monitor or mains cabling can cause interference. Experiment with moving the Home Hub to another location.
    * Security - Any chance someone's got into your system and is stealing your bandwidth? Make sure you have a decent level of Wi-fi security enabled
    * As a last resort, try either connecting to the Home Hub directly using an Ethernet cable, or look at using a HomePlug.
    http://www.frequencycast.co.uk/homehubfaq.html

My parents have one and I have to reset it remotely nearly every day.

Wow, sod that. Plug it into a timer and have it turn off for five minutes at 3am.

Willeth on