As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Which games work on LAN with one cd-key?

zeppelinzeppelin Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Games and Technology
So basically my lil'est bro got himself a gaming computer. I've been slowly introducing him to some classics, but like his older (wiser, AND handsomer) brother, his true passion lies in the RTS.

With Rise of nations you can start the game on one computer, take out the CD, and load it on another. It works fine with one cd-key, but it's pretty dated. I haven't tried Rise of Legends (mostly because I didn't like it as much).

Does the PA community know of any games like this. RTS or FPS or ANY game. Just some suggestions. I love playing with people I can easily beat. (easymode when dad plays) And I love not having to pay for more keys.

A bit derivitave, but any REALLY good RTSes that are worth buying a couple keys for? I have keys to CoH (no CDs sadly) but anything else? Thanks for your help.

zeppelin on

• TheSuperWootTheSuperWoot Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If I remember correctly Civ IV doesn't use a CD-KEY and is a great game to play mutliplayer, albeit a bit long.

As for RTSes that you could buy you could try out Supreme Commander if you already have CoH.

TheSuperWoot on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    There's always Starcraft.

Dehumanized on
  • zeppelinzeppelin Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If I remember correctly Civ IV doesn't use a CD-KEY and is a great game to play mutliplayer, albeit a bit long.

As for RTSes that you could buy you could try out Supreme Commander if you already have CoH.

I do believe you are correct @ CivIV. Do you know if you can nuke in that game tho? I was quite the nuker in CivIII. Rise of Nations is really just a realtime Civ tho. Such a good game. I shall have to check out supreme commander tho.
    There's always Starcraft.

nooooooooooo

Starcraft < Warcraft.

Well starcraft is kinda fun if both players aren't slanty eyed.

zeppelin on
  • HarakhtiHarakhti Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yes, you can get nukes in CivIV. My first game I had after I picked it up I nuked Genghis Khan. He didn't like me.

Harakhti on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Most LAN games work without checking CD-keys. Usually they only check for the Internet master server. Disconnect your LAN from the Internet if you want to be extra-safe.

Daedalus on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Civ IV does have a CD key, but I'm *pretty sure* that it's lannable nontheless.

Dehumanized on
    edited July 2008
    I'm thinking about picking up GameTap too just because of the sub-account feature.

I'll have to have him try Civ. It's an acquired taste for some but he... well he doesn't like games like warcraft, where my blademaster is in his base killing wisps within a few minutes of starting. He likes to build his army up, etc. etc. He likes the, Total War type of games I should guess.

Man I am bored at work.

Speaking of RoN, CivIV, RTSes in general... who would be up for a Rise of Nations game on? I'd love to play a big game.

zeppelin on
  • OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I have only had a problem with this in neverwinter nights and halo pc

Ohtsam on
    edited July 2008
    SupComm has piqued my interest... I'll have to check this out.

zeppelin on
  • Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Neverwinter Nights 2
    Crysis
    Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 1 and 2
    Rainbow Six: Vegas
    Company Of Heroes
    Age of Empires..

Geeze, most games relased in the last 5 years.

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
    GM: Rusty Chains (DH Ongoing)
    edited July 2008
    Ohtsam wrote: »
    I have only had a problem with this in neverwinter nights and halo pc

really, it would be shorter to list the games that don't work with one cd-key

Daedalus on
  • drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Get thee to Dawn of War. It's our go-to LAN'ing game.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
    edited July 2008
    drhazard wrote: »

I'll have to check that out too. It uses the capture/resource system like CoH?

zeppelin on
  • TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    zeppelin wrote: »

No, CoH uses the Capture/Resource system like DOW!

Yes it does though, I think there is a demo out for it.

TheCrumblyCracker on
    edited July 2008

No, CoH uses the Capture/Resource system like DOW!

Yes it does though, I think there is a demo out for it.

:winky::winky:

I'll have to buy some DoW and SupComm tonight then. Thank god for payday.

zeppelin on
  • jotjot Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Blizzard games work fine. Diablo 2 LoD, Warcraft III, Starcraft.

jot on
  • Dayvan CowboyDayvan Cowboy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Civ IV does have a CD key, but I'm *pretty sure* that it's lannable nontheless.

Yeah, I can confirm that you can LAN with just the one copy.

Dayvan Cowboy on
    edited July 2008

Yes. It's from the same people and is largely on the same engine. The cover system isn't as good as CoH, but I haven't seen any RTS with a cover system as good as CoH.

Daedalus on
  • W2W2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Toxin01 wrote: »
    Neverwinter Nights 2

I seem to remember having trouble with both this and the first game, they both needed individual CD-keys for every person who wanted to play.

Unless they've patched that out, I don't know.

W2 on
  • ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    W2 wrote: »
    Neverwinter Nights 2

I seem to remember having trouble with both this and the first game, they both needed individual CD-keys for every person who wanted to play.

I think they did actually, they may even have patched out the cd in the drive requirement. I started it the other day and it got past the launcher without bitching about no disk, which is where it usually stops.

Edit: Whoops, nwn2. I was talking about NWN 1 + xps. Dunno about 2.

Arrath on
    edited July 2008
    For a LAN you could also use a CD-key generator (and make sure you aren't connected to the Internet at the time) to give every computer a unique CD-key. Those keys won't work online, of course: game companies download those generators and put the keys in them on the master server ban list almost as soon as they get released. But they should work for local play.

Daedalus on
  • Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Neverwinter Nights 2

Edit, my bad.

I just got a CD key off the web and played LAN with my dad.

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
    GM: Rusty Chains (DH Ongoing)
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Neverwinter Nights 2

Edit, my bad.

I just got a CD key off the web and played LAN with my dad.

Yeah I think the original NWN used online authentication even if you just went to play LAN - so you had to have different CD keys. We got around it by (spoilered for maybe-not-kosher - mods please delete if so)
    We did some googling and found the domains that NWN would try to connect to, then we just blocked those in our router's firmware.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Tim JamesTim James Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »
    For a LAN you could also use a CD-key generator (and make sure you aren't connected to the Internet at the time) to give every computer a unique CD-key. Those keys won't work online, of course: game companies download those generators and put the keys in them on the master server ban list almost as soon as they get released. But they should work for local play.
    If this doesn't violate some rule, how do CD key generators work then? They only find or generate a certain subset of valid keys? They don't generate (and thereby invalidate once the developers get ahold of them) legitimate keys?

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    We used to play LAN NWN with one copy of the game by just disconnecting the internet before going into the LAN menu. If it fails to connect to the master server it still lets you play.

zanetheinsane on
  • wyrlsswyrlss Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, with NWN you can actually edit the hostnames file in windows which is under, like, windows/system32/etc or something like that.
    There's a better explanation you can find through google, but yes. It'll take a second, say you can't do some things, then let you play locally.
    Diablo, on the other hand, has no such issues. You can patch online and play locally, even if some jerkoff somehow managed to generate YOUR EXACT CD KEY, forcing you to have to mail something to Blizzard to get, I don't know, a new CD key? What the hell were they going to do? Seriously, when it's easier to not follow the rules than to behave, that's what spurs revolution.

wyrlss on
    K9Violator.png
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

nooooooooooo

Starcraft < Warcraft.

What.

subedii on
    edited July 2008
    subedii wrote: »

nooooooooooo

Starcraft < Warcraft.

What.

I get my ass handed to me whilst playing online. I blame Korea.

zeppelin on
  • minigunwielderminigunwielder __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    Savage works, if you use all 0's, it's the old press key.

minigunwielder on
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Savage works, if you use all 0's, it's the old press key.

Isn't Savage free? and yeah all blizzard games were locally one one cd-key which is awesome. You know what is a great lan game, Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries. That game is amazing with a lan. You can do bunch of friends in low tonnage mechs verse a large atlas or dashui or something, or just do straight up teams. It's pretty fun and the builds we came up with are pretty hilarious nothing like going against a build thats 100 tons of pretty much all clan machine guns. Where they run at you so slowly and the range on there machine guns it pretty much non-existant...ahh good times

Dixon on